Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel90 - wouldn't go beyond test print

Posted by m237b 
Mendel90 - wouldn't go beyond test print
November 28, 2014 01:03PM
Hello,

I just finished my first 3D printer assembly (Mendel90). Got the android print test successful, but
that's about it. Any other models I've tried to print, or even reproduce the print test are failing with
following phenomenas (will describe based on the second print test):

1. Instead of starting from the center of the bed as in the first print, now starts right from the corner
2. First layer doesn't stick to the bed
3. Filament is collecting around the nozzle and finally messes up....forced to stop printing

Similar effect with other models I've tried. Attaching the first successful print and some failed
ones. (one in a middle is what was picked up from the nozzle after the print attempt)

Thanks in advance
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0744.jpg (307.1 KB)
Re: Mendel90 - wouldn't go beyond test print
November 28, 2014 04:52PM
Allright let me try to answer:

1. It seems like you need to centre your 3d printer.
2. What material are you using? PLA or ABS?, are you using Kapton tape or what is your print surface?
3. this seems to be because it is not sticking to surface
November 28, 2014 05:02PM
Hi there,

It is correct it is not sticking to the surface.
Using PLA. And the surface is glass bed, no tape
November 28, 2014 05:21PM
Try the paper thing to measure the distance between heatbed and nozzle and get some kapton tape for me it works really good
November 28, 2014 05:25PM
Thank you. I will give it a try
November 28, 2014 05:46PM
No problem write how it goes

Also buy some acetone (without oil) to clean surface in between prints, also works nice for me
November 29, 2014 12:28PM
All sticks well now...just needed to tweak bed temperature......however still have issues with printing,
cannot go beyond first layer simply wouldn't extrude, even though extrusion test prior sending the job
is successful....look at the images please
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0753.jpg (304.9 KB)
November 29, 2014 12:31PM
Yea i can se the first layer seems to work well

is your extruder skipping ? seems like it because plastic is coming out but not i a good way
November 29, 2014 12:40PM
It is in fact skipping during the job...but extrusion test outside of the job is fine....I still think it may be incorrectly
configure Z_HOME_POS value, still playing with this.....
November 29, 2014 05:04PM
It seems very strange that the first layer it is extruding well and then not anymore
November 30, 2014 07:51AM
Hi,

There is a vibrant Mendel90 forum here (of which I am a member) and you will get lots of help there.

I'm a little confused as to how you got into the situation that you are in. If you follow the Mendel90 Build Manual it describes calibration etc. and nophead provides slicer settings that will get you working with next to no effort.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 07:52AM by neildarlow.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
November 30, 2014 03:54PM
Thank you Neil,

Will post in the correct area next time. Well, I'm trying to follow the calibration
instructions as per the manual as well as engaging Chris to help...but the result is not as expected.
Currently I'm stuck on Z levelling step 2 so called when there is a fine tune adjustments supposed
to be applied to the Z_HOME_POS based on the skirt level hight which I never manage to get within
the area of 0.1-0.35 mm. In my case it is always appears as extremely thin layer (almost invisible)
which is a way below the expected values.

Thanks again,
Oleg
November 30, 2014 05:33PM
I have moved this thread to the Mendel90 forum.

If it is way too low for stage 2 it means you must have done stage 1 wrong some how.

You touch off an object that you can measure accurately and correct the Z value based on that. If that is successful then when you have upload the tweaked firmware and touch off the same object the Z value should be the height of the object minus 0.2mm which is allowed for expansion. I suggest you check that is the case before attempting stage 2.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login