Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wades block partially broken

Posted by dawa 
wades block partially broken
December 27, 2014 03:50PM
Hello,
I just took apart my wades block in order to clean the hobbed bolt after a plastic jam.
Then I saw some cracks in it. See attached picture.
Some questions on this:

1. Can this still be used? (i guess so)
2. Can it be printed in PLA?
3. How do I proceed if I want to order a new one from nophead?

Best regards,
David
Attachments:
open | download - broken_wades_block_1.JPG (280.7 KB)
Re: wades block partially broken
December 27, 2014 04:08PM
Hi,

The Wade's block can still be used with significant breakage because the idler screws hold it together. You will probably have noticed that your extrusion calibration has changed a bit.

It should be printed in ABS because the J-Head temperature can cause it to soften and deform if printed in PLA. nophead is very accommodating regarding the supply of replacement parts.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
December 27, 2014 05:32PM
Thanks!
I wonder why it cracked. I can't see there should be any strong forces on it. I haven't tightened the idler screws very hard, there is still slack.
And I can't imagine that the hobbed bolt can push the filament very hard, it should rather just rasp it.
I have not tightened the m8 nuts very hard against the ball bearings either.
Maybe the ball bearings are pushed too hard into it, and they crack later by all the vibrations?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 04:31AM by dawa.
December 28, 2014 01:31AM
I have had three blocks crack in the same way. One of them is still in use. So yes, you can definitely keep going, just check it periodically and if the crack starts to run all the way through or changes direction and heads for the top of the block, then it's time to replace it. There are definitely some strong forces at work in that little part. The bearings alone are a tight fit and put pressure on the block, especially that thin wall where the crack usually starts. The filament exerts force outward against the idler. Eventually your idler will likely start to crack from that force so print a few spares. And the motion of extrusion and retraction will create force and the gearing amplifies the torque. In short, there is a lot of motion going on.

Interestingly, a Wades block printed for me by William Frick has out lasted all others and so far hasn't developed any cracks. It's not as pretty as nophead's block and I think that might be part of the reason. The perimeters and infill are not as tightly bonded which might allow the block to flex just a little bit...at least that's my current theory. It may also be because I have never used that machine for PLA which, from my experience, is harder on machines. I'm not using PLA much any more so we'll see if the blocks tend to last longer on both machines now.
December 28, 2014 11:29AM
ashleywebster
...Interestingly, a Wades block printed for me by William Frick ...

I have to ask - who is William Frick?

Alan
December 28, 2014 06:34PM
A friend and fellow Mendel90 user. I'm in the habit of tagging people on G+ by typing their names...not quite as effective here smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login