Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors move beyond Limit Switches

Posted by Lumpengnom 
Motors move beyond Limit Switches
January 12, 2015 05:18AM
Hi,
I am currently in the progress of setting up the software.

- I connected with Pronterface and tested the limit switches with M119 and they all work correctly.

- I tested the motors and they move in the correct directions when pressing the different -x, x, -y and so on buttons in Pronterface.

- The X home, Y home and Z home buttons work as well.
However the motors will move beyond the switches if I continue to press the -x button the -y button or the +z button. Is that normal? Shouldn´t the switch make it impossible for the motor to move in that direction?

- Also, I pressed the Y home button and after the bed moved to the Y home I accidentially pressed it again and the motor went crazy. Is that normal and you simply have to watch out not to do that or did I mess up something?

- If I hold a limit switch pressed with my hand and then push, for example the x button the motor will move. Is that normal? Shouldn´t the switch keep the motor from moving even if it is not in the home position? What mechanism makes the system notice that it should stop if it isn´t caused solely by the limit switches?
Re: Motors move beyond Limit Switches
January 12, 2015 06:11AM
Hi,

By default Marlin is configured to only check the endstops during Homing commands (G28).

If you want to prevent Pronterface from driving beyond the endstops then activate the Clamp manual moves checkbox under Settings|Options. Note: Pronterface still needs to be Homed before it can apply these limits.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
January 12, 2015 06:28AM
Thank you. I don´t really need it I just thought that I might have connected something incorrectly but if it is normal that is fine.
January 12, 2015 06:41AM
Once homed the firmware soft limits should stop it 1mm short of the limit switch, so as long as you home it should be impossible to hit them again.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 12, 2015 09:40AM
Should it stop 1mm short of the limit switch only when using the home button or also when using the normal move buttons?
If the former is the case what could be causing the problem in my setup?
January 12, 2015 12:24PM
As long as you have homed first it should not be possible to jog to the limit switch. This is assuming you are using the firmware I provide for Mendel90.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 12, 2015 12:49PM
It stops now. I am not sure what I have done differently this time but it appears to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login