Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend leakage?

Posted by 09zx-6r 
Hotend leakage?
January 22, 2015 07:32PM
So after a few prints I started noticing build up around the nozzle just above the tapper and around the top of the nozzle block where it threads into the body...it's a Geeetech j-head v5...I tightened it while it was hot to take up any expansion...but it still leaks!!! Thoughts??
What's a better nozzle that has a really good price and worth it???
Re: Hotend leakage?
January 23, 2015 05:07AM
Contact nophead and buy one of his. They come already assembled which is worth a lot in itself.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
January 23, 2015 09:58AM
In most cases, the hot ends are made of two or three types of metal, causing different rates and amounts of expansion when heated. The filament tube/throat is steel, the hot end block is aluminum and the nozzle is commonly steel or brass. With the relatively high thread pitch, leakage is common.

Also, assembly is a factor. Ideally, the filament tube will meet the nozzle inside the aluminum block, preventing any filament to even reach the threads. This is possible with almost any assembly, but rarely considered. Also, I have found that the use of a 6mm fiber washer and a thin M6 nut on the filament tube (on Mk7/Mk8 hot ends) prevents leaks.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
January 26, 2015 12:07AM
figured it out.... found a small crack in the threads where the plastic body enters the metal hot end block,,, as it heated up the crack expanded and leaked... a little JB weld and back in buisness... no leaks!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login