Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laywoo-D3 anyone?

Posted by bastard 
Laywoo-D3 anyone?
February 24, 2015 06:15AM
Hi,

since my visit of a faire last year I'm sitting on a sample (aprox. 1m) of Laywoo-D3. To do a little more, I ordered 250g. It should arrive at the end of this week. Has anybody any experiences with it? Will it work with a 0.4mm nozzle?

Since it is 60% PLA it should work with the profiles I use for the Faberdashery filament. I'm very curious to make a grain in my objects by changing the temperature.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
OpenScad Workshop: Kursdateien
Octoprint Patron since April 2016
Re: Laywoo-D3 anyone?
April 09, 2015 04:34AM
Hi,

I've finished with Laywoo-D3. It was not so funny ...

1st I tried to print my usual Filament Color Sample Chip with different temperatures to get a feeling how the colour changes. Neither the sample from the fair last year (bright colour) nor the ordered dark material showed any changing in colour. I tried 185°C as coldest and 225°C as hottest temperature.

Then I tried to print a Tree Stump Pencil Holder. It was printing nice over 6h. But then my nozzle clogged. I cleaned it (the usual way):

After that I measured the height and deleted the already printed part out of the .gcode file. I managed to let it print to the top with no clogging. So I was happy ... but not long. It was sticking on the glass + wood glue like I never had such before. No way to get it free. At least a knife and some other tools helped. At the end I had to use a kitchen scraping tool to get the rest off the glass.

The bottom of the tree stump now was partially open and I printed the 1st three layers again on the cold clean glass to glue it onto the bottom. Wood glue sticked the two parts together. Then I used a hot air station to melt the seam and there the colour changes! I used different temperatures to make a more naturally looking finish of the whole stump and I'm very satisfied at the end:

Since it is a birthday gift, I had to print something else to keep it in my collection. So I decided to print an owl. But there was the clogging again. And a few layers after it happened again. So I stopped the print. I'm finished with Laywoo-D3.

It does not work with a 0.4mm nozzle.

@ Nophead: Do you offer a J-Head with a 0.5mm nozzle? May I ask for a quote from you?

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
Re: Laywoo-D3 anyone?
May 11, 2015 07:43AM
Hi,

Nophead sold me a 0.5mm hotend. I installed it yesterday and it did a very good job. The owl printed without any problems. Pictures may follow.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login