Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ERR: MAXTEMP problems

Posted by Rich K. 
ERR: MAXTEMP problems
March 19, 2015 05:29AM
I am suddenly having problems with my Mendel90. It will be printing just fine, but then it will stop printing and I get "ERR: MAXTEMP" on my Panelolu2. The only thing I can think of is somehow the firmware got screwed up, since I had to re-set my Z-height in the firmware after I moved the machine and re-leveled it. The thermistor is certainly still connected or I would be getting "MINTEMP" errors instead. I have tried re-compiling and reinstalling the firmware but i am still getting the error. I even tried re-setting the PID (and the numbers were radically different from the last time I did that). It can happen anywhere from a few minutes up to several hours after I start printing.
Re: ERR: MAXTEMP problems
March 19, 2015 05:47AM
Hi,

Are you sure you have no operational problems with your thermistor and its wiring?

Much as mintemp would indicate a short or partial short, maxtemp could be indicative of a poor or open-circuit connection.

Changing the Z height setting should not impact temperature control unless you were careless during your editing.

Read through your configuration file looking for errors before visually and electrically checking your thermistor cabling and installation.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
March 19, 2015 06:47AM
Sorry Neil, you have it the wrong way round. MAXTEMP could be a short on the thermistor. Open circuit gives MINTEMP.

@Rick K,
Check for burnt plastic on the thermistor leads. That can give a partial short and cause the reading to be way too high.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 19, 2015 08:52AM
Hi,

Oops, too many years using PT100 thermistors. Of course these thermistors are NTC, my bad!

I think checking out the configuration file for errors and the thermistor installation is warranted though.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
March 19, 2015 06:00PM
My thermistor is held in place with muffler putty (as is my heater resistor), then I wrapped self-sticking silicon tape to it, but there is burned plastic packed up under the silicon tape.

I just got my new E3D V6 in the mail today. Haven't assembled it yet - going over to my grandmother's house to celebrate my mother's, father's, and uncle's birthdays (all fall within a week of each other), so I'll have to put everything together then. Hopefully it will be less trouble-prone than the J-head MK V-BV...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login