Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print slanting to the left

Posted by Chavaquiah 
Print slanting to the left
April 14, 2015 06:30PM
Hi!

I'm printing a new fan duct to use with E3Dv6's hotend and I noticed this weird (and very pronounced) slant in the object: it is clearly leaning to the left (negative X axis). Doesn't seem to be missed steps, since the effect is quite smooth and consistent from layer to layer.

The printer is (obviously) a Mendel90, T3P3's version, with the acrylic enclosure. I'm printing with very cheap ABS and, to be honest, I'm not even expecting to be able to finish the object as, without a cooling fan and a 0.25mm nozzle, I just don't see the large bridging area coming out alright. Not very important as this print is only meant to validate dimensions for the fan duct. I only noticed the one I was using before (with a E3Dv5) clashes with the larger heating block.

Anyway, before this print I tried to install back the previous duct and, in the process, I ended up removing and reseating the x-axis belt clamp. Maybe I did force something in the process?

I'm sure the print bed is quite level as I tested everything just before this print. And, from day one until now, the printer has been producing great results with both ABS and PLA (and even with some flexible polyester).

What should I be looking for to solve this issue? Could it be the pulling force from the filament, which is beeig fed from the left? Or, since I was recently messing about with the belt, is there something I should do in this area? Any other ideas?

BTW, the first two of the attached photos were taken from behind, that's why it looks like the slant is to the right.
Attachments:
open | download - 2015-04-14 22.07.55.jpg (261.7 KB)
open | download - 2015-04-14 22.08.01.jpg (265.5 KB)
open | download - 2015-04-14 22.31.30.jpg (299.5 KB)
Re: Print slanting to the left
April 16, 2015 05:23AM
Hi,

I had a similar problem recently and found that the x idler and motor assemblies weren't level. It's possible that your bed is parallel so the distance between the bed and the nozzle is constant or changes by only a small amount but each layer is printed slightly displaced in the x axis. I use auto bed levelling which compensated for the difference and it took me a while to figure out what the problem was.

Paul
Re: Print slanting to the left
April 16, 2015 06:22AM
It may very well have been that. In messing with the belt I must have forced something along the x-axis. After the print finished I went to check a few things and noticed some unevenness for the force needed to move the carriage as if, indeed, there was something wrong with with the x-idler.

In the meantime I relieved some of the tension on the x belt (turns out I had it overtightened), applied a bit of lubricant and printed a large cube. It printed fine.

However, I'll be redoing the x-assembly soon, in order to replace the carriage with a larger holed model (so the E3D can be replaced without removing the fan). Thanks to your advice, I'll remember to check for that possible problem. thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login