Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Correct Marlin Software

Posted by scubi 
Correct Marlin Software
May 15, 2015 08:08AM
Hi
I am just checking, the Marlin firmware that is under Github \ Nopehead \ Marlin , is this the Latest & correct firmware or is there a better version.
I building the Mendel90 ( Sturdy ) , using Ramps 1.4 Board

Thanks
Re: Correct Marlin Software
May 15, 2015 09:45AM
Latest and correct are all relative. That branch sort of linked to should be the latest and most correct that Nophead maintains and has released. There's the main branch. Neildarlow has a branch that merges the two, giving you more recent features and bug fixes, but also has Nophead's changes as well. None are wrong firmware, just what features you're wanting for your printer. If you're using different electronics or probes or LCD displays, you may want/need to use Neil's or the main branch as they are more recent.

I personally use Neildarlow's branch as it supports z-probing and haven't had any problems with it.
Re: Correct Marlin Software
May 18, 2015 03:09AM
Hi,

I should add here that my fork is not currently using the latest code. There has been heavy development on Marlin recently which has led to some breakage at times.

I have decided to hold updates to my firmware until I can be sure that the mainstream Marlin is stable. As cdru mentioned Z probing works satisfactorily.

For a sturdy you might need to adjust some of the mechanical settings. I based mine on the Dibond kit variant and obviously things like thermistor tables may be different if you have used alternative devices.

I recently adjusted to core files usage which means that it will now compile under Arduino 1.5 or later but I am not sure if there are some issues with the code and the later versions of GCC used with them. I recommend that you use Arduino 1.0.6 to build my firmware.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login