Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't see Melzi W/ ATmega1284p 16mHz in arduino

Posted by danlad1631 
Can't see Melzi W/ ATmega1284p 16mHz in arduino
June 16, 2015 11:28AM
I can't see Melzi W/ ATmega1284p 16mHz on Arduino on "Board" menu. I've followed the user manual and copied the folders over but still can't see it. Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong?

Thanks
Re: Can't see Melzi W/ ATmega1284p 16mHz in arduino
June 16, 2015 02:41PM
Managed to get it sorted but when I try to upload to the board I get this message: Error while uploading: missing 'upload.tool' configuration parameter. What does this mean?
June 16, 2015 04:40PM
Looking online I think it's because I haven't updated my Mendel90 since I bought it. I've downloaded the latest Marlin firmware and need to adjust some settings, when I try to upload the new firmware with the new setting changes that's when I get the message.
June 16, 2015 08:18PM
My guess is you are using a newer version of Arduino that is not backwards compatible with the boards.txt in the Melzi board support folder.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 17, 2015 02:54AM
OK so I downloaded an older version of Arduino and got it to upload the new Marlin firmware but now it's not really contolling the printer. When I tell the printer to move on any axis it is really delayed or wont move at all, if I tell the printer to home all, that works fine. What's causing this and how can I solve it?
June 17, 2015 05:48AM
No idea, recent versions of Marlin are very unstable. What are you trying to achieve by updating?

June 17, 2015 06:09AM
I needed to change my z home position and feed rate. I hadn't used the printer for a while and had to reinstall windows on my laptop, this caused me to lose the arduino I had installed which worked. So I went through the manual and followed the instructions, downloaded Merlin from your GitHub and download the latest Arduino.
June 17, 2015 06:28AM
Sorry I thought you must be using a more recent version of Marlin when you said "I've downloaded the latest Marlin firmware".

My version of marlin should work with Arduino 1.0.x. I would expect it not to compile with later versions. I don't know what would cause the symptoms you describe.

June 17, 2015 06:40AM
From the manual it says to copy the hardware and Melzi folder over to the Arduino folder, is that correct? I couldn't workout why there is already a folder named hardware in the Arduino folder, do they need to be merged together?
June 17, 2015 07:13AM
You just copy the Melzi folder into the hardware folder so it sits alongside the other board support packages.

June 17, 2015 07:29AM
Ok, maybe that's where I went wrong. I'll redo it and see what happens. Thanks
June 17, 2015 08:17AM
That has worked but now the bed will not stop when it hits the limit switch when I click home all. If the bed was in the middle and I click home all and use my finger the activate the limit switch, it stops. I've checked that the bed makes a a connection to the limit switch and that is fine. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?
June 17, 2015 08:22AM
It stops when you press the switch but not when the carriage presses the switch? Can't explain that. Does the switch click when you push the carriage into it?

June 17, 2015 08:25AM
Yes the switch does click when bed touches it. I didn't have this problem before I started all this, could it be a software issue?
June 17, 2015 08:44AM
If you are using the software from my github, then no as that is the same as you used before and the same as every other kit.

I don't understand how the switch can click and not make a connection when the bed hits it but does when you press it. Perhaps the solder joint is intermittent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login