Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beware of the upcoming Cura update

Posted by neildarlow 
Beware of the upcoming Cura update
July 02, 2015 01:00PM
Hi,

If you are currently using Cura you may wish to hold-off from installing the upcoming update. It has been extensively re-written and the ability to easily configure custom machines has been removed.

In order to support non-Ultimaker machines a configuration file (in JSON format) must be created and installed. Unless someone creates this file for the Mendel90 you will not be able to continue using Cura with this updated version and the Mendel90.

Custom machine support will be re-instated in a future update. This Google+ post has the commentary.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Re: Beware of the upcoming Cura update
July 06, 2015 12:32PM
I've taken a quick look at what is involved in generating a JSON configuration file and I do not like the thinking behind it.

All of the printing parameters are hard-coded into the JSON file. This means that everyone who has their own preferred printing profiles would have to create one of these files. As far as I can see, there is no easy way to tweak settings within the Cura GUI which makes this update a deal-breaker for me to continue using Cura.

I am also somewhat stuck with a broken Pronterface in fedora 22. The distribution has moved to building applications against GTK3 and this has broken the Pronterface GUI quite seriously.

I need to take a few steps backwards and evaluate where I am with 3D Printing applications on GNU/Linux. Do I stick with older versions, try to make the newer versions work or (more appealing) take some time out to develop my own toolchain.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login