Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-axis no longer moving

Posted by Traveltrousers 
X-axis no longer moving
October 25, 2015 12:07PM
I moved my printer into storage, then down to London and then into work... it worked fine but the bed needed levelling so I did that, reflashed the board (using the wrong arduino version (1.0.1)) before getting the right version on once more (using 1.0.6).

Now the x-axis doesn't work. I swapped the X and Y axis wires into the board and the x-axis motor and wiring is fine. I was using Neils firmware, but switching back to nopheads standard gives the same problem.

Are there any other tests I can do or do I need a new controller board? I see no damage to the driver part... image attached.

If I'm replacing the Melzi should I be thinking about perhaps a new board that would let me add another extruder? Recommendations?

[drive.google.com]
Re: X-axis no longer moving
October 25, 2015 04:06PM
The correct IDE version is 1.0.1, not 1.0.6. Not sure why that would stop the X axis working though.

I don't think it is a hardware problem if the axis was working before you re-flashed it. Did you flash it via the USB port or did you use an ISP programmer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2015 04:08PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 25, 2015 04:38PM
USB.

I used a messy 1.0.1 arduino version from my dropbox thinking (mistakenly) it was my 'arduino flashing folder'... it wasn't.

I've found that it's best to get an arduino version that works and then not to mess with it... but somehow it didn't make it across to dropbox (and my PC is in storage).

So, a clean 1.0.6 (plus neils' extra folders) should be fine...

I guess I'll try a new 1.0.1 download plus your github files before I spend any money...
October 26, 2015 05:43PM
Yep, clean 1.0.1 download, clean marlin download, copied the melzi folder over and uploaded it....

Works fine... except for the x-axis.sad smiley So I have to conclude for some reason the board is the problem....

Lets see how I fare with one from ebay.....
October 26, 2015 08:18PM
I have never known one to fail in a working machine for no reason. Does the motor lock when it is enabled or does it remain not energised? Does the chip get warm? Try flexing the PCB a little to see if there is a bad joint somewhere.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 27, 2015 04:14AM
Hi,

Is your X endstop permanently triggered?

My boards.text has been modified to use the core files distributed with the Arduino Ide rather than a bundled set as nophead's does. This allows use of Arduino 1.0.6. I have been using that version for a long time.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
October 27, 2015 08:17PM
"Is your X endstop permanently triggered?"

No... I checked that quite quickly....

When I try to move the bed after a reset it makes a 'click' as though it's trying to move it but it doesn't go... and the x carriage is easy to move by hand.

So weird that a failed flash would do that...

New board is ordered and shipped so I'll let you know...
October 30, 2015 06:50PM
New board arrived, swapped it over and now I have the x-axis back....

This is the longest bed levelling I've ever done! smiling smiley
October 30, 2015 06:50PM
New board arrived, swapped it over and now I have the x-axis back....

This is the longest bed levelling I've ever done! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login