Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Original Nophead Firmware

Posted by r00t 
Original Nophead Firmware
October 29, 2016 03:57AM
Hello,
I was one of the first who got a kit from nophead and have been happy with the Mendel90 ever since. Now, the Melzi board had a defect and I replaced it with a (real) Melzi v2.
The problem is: When enabling the fan, the heatbed starts heating instead and the heatbed command doesn't do anything.
I saved a hex file on the very first day, years ago and it works fine (on both boards).
Unfortunatly it is not as simple as switching the pins in pins.h.
Any ideas? Does someone have an old firmware version for me? I am getting the same error with this version [github.com]
Re: Original Nophead Firmware
October 29, 2016 08:20AM
There are no differences firmware wise between the Melzi we supplied and the Melzi V2, as supplied by RepRapPro. I recently tested a Melzi V2 with the original firmware, so I can't explain your symptoms.

The bed MOFSET does get very hot because the ground track leading to it is very thin, the main ground plane has been isolated by a new track running through it. It needs bridging with a wire.

Also the motor drives get hotter because the ground plane is similarly bisected by a track reducing the heatsink area.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 29, 2016 02:05PM
Are you sure you have wired the bed and fan to the correct terminals?

October 30, 2016 06:58AM
I assume it has to be a software issue since the original hex file works just fine. So the wiring should be correct.
Btw I changed the hotend to a E3Dv6 in the process but adjusted the TEMP_SENSOR constant as well.
I just don't see the correlation between fan and hotbed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2016 07:03AM by r00t.
October 30, 2016 07:34AM
It makes no sense to because the firmware has never changed in that respect. The my version on github has very few changes and works on all the boards we sold and also on a Melzi v2. Presumably the hex file you have is just an older version of what is on github? You can look at the commit list and see there were no changes to the I/O throughout Mendel90 kit production. Is is possible you have a duff version of the Melzi board support folder in the version of Arduino that you are using?

October 30, 2016 09:12AM
That was what I was thinking too (though very unlikely). I tried two different Atmega1284p folders.
Tried another new v1 Melzi, same fault.
What version of Arduino are you using? I got 1.5.8.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2016 09:13AM by r00t.
October 30, 2016 09:33AM
I use anything between 1.0.0 and 1.0.5. I don't think my fork of Marlin even complies with 1.5.x, so I don't see how you managed to use that.

October 30, 2016 10:42AM
That was it! It compiled fine under 1.5.8.
Compiling it under 1.0.5 with the Gen7 support core (http://reprap.org/wiki/Gen7_Arduino_IDE_Support) fixes it.
Thank you!
October 30, 2016 10:57AM
You should be using the Melzi BSP, not gen7. I think gen7 runs at 20mHz.

October 30, 2016 06:42PM
There are various clock speeds selectable. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login