Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with Layers

Posted by dasneo72 
Problem with Layers
September 16, 2018 07:07AM
Hi everybody!

This is my first post on this forum and I hope to get help, because I‘m running mad on this.

My Mendel has a problem during printing. Somehow and not reproduceable on a specific layer, the print begins to „detach“ from the layer before. Don‘t know how to describe it better.

Any ideas?

Thx in advance

Francisco
Attachments:
open | download - 2E825664-00D2-4074-BC27-8E27E0CD72D9.jpeg (753.3 KB)
Re: Problem with Layers
September 16, 2018 07:21AM
What is your layer height? is it constant (advanced slicers let you set different layer heights for different regions)
what is you nozzle size?
are you obeying the rule layer heights should not exceed 80% of nozzle diameter ?

I note its on a much smaller area, perhaps insufficient time between layers for the previous layer to solidify? (play with dwell settings)

Do you have a part cooling fan?
September 16, 2018 09:42AM
What is your layer height? is it constant (advanced slicers let you set different layer heights for different regions)
what is you nozzle size?
are you obeying the rule layer heights should not exceed 80% of nozzle diameter ?

I note its on a much smaller area, perhaps insufficient time between layers for the previous layer to solidify? (play with dwell settings)

Do you have a part cooling fan?[/quote]

Noozle ist 0.4mm

I am using Simplify3D, did not know where to find the layer height, only first layer and this is set to 0.2mm

Cooling: nope, my duct is broken..but it works before without cooling that much,

Thank you!
September 16, 2018 10:44AM
Have you got a picture of what the part is supposed to look like. It looks like the top is shifted in both X and Y?

Are you sure the filament isn't dragging on the print head? Do you have it feeding through the PTFE tube. If not it can lift the print head and cause layers to not attach properly and also cause X shifts. Can't explain a Y shift as well though.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 16, 2018 01:44PM
Attached you will find the part I want to print.

I do not use a tube and the problem started when the nozzle begun to change Z height in relation to the bed. Then I tried to find out why Z sometimes has a Z0 the nozzle on the bed, and sometimes 0,3mm and more above the bed. I tried several configurations and finally I changed the screw nuts. Z0 seems to be okay now…...

Now I have this problem and I do not have an idea…..

thank you!
Attachments:
open | download - Unbenannt.JPG (25.8 KB)
September 16, 2018 02:22PM
Maybe I found the problem?

Damn noob one....trying to print again
Attachments:
open | download - 1F07967D-9854-4D1C-AF17-A77C5F016D5C.jpeg (558.7 KB)
September 16, 2018 04:15PM
No noob problem. Watched the complete process and almost finished fine...but happend again 10 minutes before ending.

Saw the noozle stepping up almost 2 layers and „printing“ in the „air“...

Is there a proofed way to change the normal screwbars to lead screws?
September 16, 2018 11:47PM
Is this an older machine with springs in the X axis parts holding the Z axis in place between two nuts? or a newer version without springs?
September 17, 2018 02:46AM
attached the part and where it Begins..almost done and then this shit
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5950.jpg (76.3 KB)
September 17, 2018 02:47AM
Dust
Is this an older machine with springs in the X axis parts holding the Z axis in place between two nuts? or a newer version without springs?

will take picture tomorrow...

thx
September 19, 2018 04:25AM
it´s without springs

I dismounted the screwbars again and will clean them completly and try again.. yesterday I did another printing and it happen at 4mm of height...... Frustration is the right word......
September 23, 2018 03:11PM
Any ideas what I should do to solve my problem? Nothing worked until now.....
September 24, 2018 06:13AM
It's hard to say without watching it go wrong or a better description. It seems to get offset in both X and Y simultaneously and also seems to get smaller and taper back out to the correct size. I can't think of anything that would do that but perhaps I am interpreting the pictures incorrectly.

Is the carriage firmly attached to the rails? Sometimes the carriage can break at the back where the third bearing is. In that case, if you don't have the PTFE tube the filament will drag and tilt the carriage updwards. That would cause the nozzle to swing back and up and cause layer to be shifted and not attached.

September 24, 2018 03:57PM
Okay...did another tests today, result still the same

Printed a flat piece without any problem

Printed a higher piece and after about 6-7mm of height the Layer broke again

Noticed a little lag during printing, the printer stops for half a second.

Okay, thought it could be, because I stored the print file on OctoPi.

Did another test with the same print file on the SD card, but the same result.

Also moved Z by hand all the way up and down to prove if the screws are moving smooth and they do.

Could also aknowledge, that it seems to affect more axis. Not only Z is involved, after the event occurs the honeycomb infill is destroyed

Anybody a hint how to do tests to search for the reason?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2018 02:51AM by dasneo72.
Attachments:
open | download - 0D2C9198-B329-4EC4-8DC6-A7F5877CC4DC.jpeg (778.4 KB)
September 25, 2018 03:16AM
Is the Z axis sitting down on both nuts? If for some reason the Z bars are leaning such that when you level the bed only one nut is bearing the weight, then the Z motion could be erratic.

September 25, 2018 04:12AM
could this be a solution for me or an usefull upgrade to a Mendel?

[www.thingiverse.com]
September 25, 2018 07:14AM
I don't know, my Mendel90s still work fine with the original lead screws.

I would start by installing the PTFE tube that stops the filament dragging on the print head. If the filament is hard to pull it can lift the carriage. Even if it doesn't it pulls towards the centre at the edges of the print and increases backlash, that is why it is in the design.

September 25, 2018 07:26AM
nophead
I don't know, my Mendel90s still work fine with the original lead screws.

I would start by installing the PTFE tube that stops the filament dragging on the print head. If the filament is hard to pull it can lift the carriage. Even if it doesn't it pulls towards the centre at the edges of the print and increases backlash, that is why it is in the design.

okay... I will order the tube again and do some Tests.

Thank you very much!
September 25, 2018 09:53AM
Don't forget to anchor it at the spool end. I.e. like the original dust filter.

October 05, 2018 10:56AM
Ok, after many, many diferent tests found an hint. Seems like the CPU capacity is reached when I access with my laptop and mobile to the Octoprint GUI.

In this moment the printer stucks for a second or more and the next layer is chaos.

Hmmmm....should I replace the PI with a newer one?
October 05, 2018 01:38PM
It should carry on where it left off, so the worst would be a blob. Seems more like some lines of G code go missing.

Have you been able to reproduce the effect at will?

Possibly a faster PI might help but I still use RPI Bs to run my machines. I haven't updated Octoprint for a long time though as it does seem to get slower with each new release like most software. I try to stick with versions that work and only update if I have to.

October 05, 2018 05:59PM
You are right, I have done all updates ....

Doing some bigger prints right now without opening the GUI and all went fine. Have to read how to change the PI.

Thx a lot for helping!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login