Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally finishing a Mendel90

Posted by majic79 
Finally finishing a Mendel90
November 29, 2020 03:57PM
Hola!

Ok, not Spanish, just saying hello smiling smiley

I bought a kit off a friend some time ago (he had access to a laser cutter and did a few ally cutouts based on the DiBond Mendel90) and I never planned to run it on a ISO threaded bar - always intended to go to a T8x1 ACME and even had the parts to go with it.

Roll on to today and after spending some time getting my foldarap back up and running, I'm finally running off new X-Ends that incorporate an anti-backlash T8 ACME nut, and should remain compatible with the rest of the build

That leads me to my next question - when I built my Foldarap (6 years ago!) I cut my own Gen 7 (V1.3 or early V1.4 - not sure) board. This is great, I can run Marlin on it, I found my backups and config, and I've got Marlin 2.0 running on it today and it's running very well.

I don't mind cutting my own board again, and I'm not really in a rush, so the question is: What's the "best" board out there (firmware supported etc)? I like that I can replace a stepper driver if I want to on the Gen7, and I guess that's something I'd desire in the future. I'm really happy with Marlin, but the world has turned in the past 6 years, and I'm so out of touch I feel like I'm starting again.

Thanks for any feedback you can give me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2020 03:58PM by majic79.
Re: Finally finishing a Mendel90
November 29, 2020 07:51PM
Some have changed firmware and controllers then some still run Marlin 2 versions and the old controllers it would be your decision.

My 3D Printer is similar though does not fold it is a solid T-Slot construction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2020 07:56PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
November 30, 2020 08:43AM
For finding out the Gen7 version, look at the copper side. Version number should be etched/milled in there.

Regarding being the latest ... well, these boards still move printers just fine. I run fairly old boards (by today's standards) as well and feel no need to upgrade anything. There's Gen7 2.0 with an ARM CPU, which is about 2.5x faster and Teacup Firmware only. Very helpful when using high resolution stepper drivers and/or spindles to drive axes.

Modern boards certainly lean towards being full-featured computers, running neither Marlin nor Teacup, but a full (Linux) operating system. Then one has direct network (Ethernet, WLAN) access, a proper display and keyboard (or VNC access), can do slicing on the printer, and so on. I'd consider this to be a shift big enough to think about upgrading.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 30, 2020 10:03AM
Traumflug
For finding out the Gen7 version, look at the copper side. Version number should be etched/milled in there.

Yeah, I took your design and replaced a couple of components (used screw terminals instead of the ATX and Molex connectors). I think I ported to KiCad as well and did all my PCB layout there (I've used KiCad longer than I've had a 3D printer, so it was familiar to me at the time) - I don't think I etched that in there when I did the board....
November 30, 2020 10:05AM
I'd prefer to keep the board seperate from the brains - I quite like using a Pi as my brain - let the board get on and do the printing things. The pi can take photos and get upgrades through the course of its life, independent of the 3D Printer.

Prior to the Pi, I had an old laptop that did the job quite well, but I switch to a Pi only when it was no longer able to upgrade
November 30, 2020 04:20PM
I agree after two on my all in one controllers died it seems to be the best policy.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
December 31, 2020 07:12PM
I've setup a blog to cover some of my old activities and new ones I have coming up - I've just added one for my own Gen7 implementation: [www.nerdsmith.co.uk]

[www.nerdsmith.co.uk]

[twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login