Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back after a long break

Posted by jra 
jra
Back after a long break
January 15, 2021 09:29AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I'm back to 3d printing after a long break, and it is a pleasure to see that nophead is still here helping out.

My Mendel90 is working ok, thanks to some TLC from a friend who borrowed it for a while. Having problems getting the first layer to stick, but I'll figure it out.

-jeff
Re: Back after a long break
January 15, 2021 12:03PM
If it is PLA you are printing you could try a higher temperature for both the filament and the bed for just the first layer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2021 02:40PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
jra
January 16, 2021 04:57PM
Well, I had to remember some tricks like clean the glass with window cleaner religiously, And I had a broken left upper Z axis mount making the Z axis zero position unreliable, so was working around that with ungodly hacking (finger pressure + z axis offset tweaks). Got a good print of a new mount, put that in place, discovered that the Z axis motor mounts on both side are also broken. The loop around the rails seems to be a weak point in the dibond STLs, maybe. Or maybe PLA + time = brittle?

Anyway, I'm now printing new motor mounts, and having good adhesion on the left but bad on the right. I tweaked the relative position of the two screws, crossing fingers that it will be enough.

Has anyone got a good fast to print, not much PLA wasted stl file for checking adhesion all around the plate?

I am both enjoying solving problems, but also remembering why 3d printing is not like 2d printing on an HP injket...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 11:07AM by jra.
jra
January 17, 2021 11:14AM
For anyone who is following along, last night I printed new Z motor mounts in PLA with 40% infill, and installed them today. Only needed to properly synchronise the two screws and it started printing again.

Now, years after buying the kit, I really appreciate how repairable the Mendel90 is! Thanks nophead!
January 17, 2021 03:14PM
Good to here it's working again. It is a lot easier when you have another printer to repair the first one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 03:14PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 23, 2021 05:43AM
As I do not have a spare printer I have a bag of spare parts that I printed a while ago "just in case".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login