Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to buy ceramic adhesive in Sydney?

Posted by fsamir 
Where to buy ceramic adhesive in Sydney?
December 04, 2012 09:08PM
Hi there,

I end up breaking the ceramic adhesive that covers my makergear hot end. It seems easy to fix, I am just wondering if that type of high temperature ceramic is sold anywhere in Sydney.
Makergear uses a brand called Cotronics Resbond, but I think anything heat resistant would work.

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
Re: Where to buy ceramic adhesive in Sydney?
December 05, 2012 06:12AM
Many of the supposed "high temp" adhesives aren't what we call high temp, and only go to 200 deg C , or maybe 250 deg C at their max.

If you find a good hardware store (eg: not Bunnings or Masters), look for fire rated adhesives. They tend to go well over 500 deg C (eg: 800+). Beware as some of these are somewhat conductive and can cause issues with things like thermistor/thermocouple readings (due to stray voltages from the heating element). Look in the section for stoves and heaters (BBQ stores may also have suitable stuff).

If you can get hold of some, "Rope glass" is probably the best stuff. Unfortunately I've only seen it for sale in the US and UK, and they won't ship internationally. It's also used a lot in firearms (for securing silencers and other parts that they don't want to work loose), though I've not seen any firearms dealers here in Aus that have it.

FWIW: The active component in most of these things is Sodium Silicate. Whatever you do, wear gloves when applying and don't ingest any. Silicosis is nasty.

BTW: You can get Cotronics Resbond here in Aus, but the quantities are way too large (and the costs too high) for a single person to buy, unless they were spreading it over a bunch of people.
December 05, 2012 06:56AM
Thanks for the tips.

How about JB Weld. I've seen in the wiki that it has been used in what seemed to be an old extruder.

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
December 05, 2012 07:27AM
JB weld can't handle the temperature for long periods.

I have started using Car Plan fire putty exhaust assembly paste from Halfords in the UK. I assume you will be able to get something similar is Aus. It's cheap and works well. Just be sure to bake it a while to drive out all the moisture before the thermistor is accurate. I run mine at 6V overnight.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2012 05:13PM
I found this one:
[www.supercheapauto.com.au]

I am just a bit concerned because it says "Expands & sets when heated".

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
December 05, 2012 05:22PM
nophead Wrote:

> I have started using Car Plan fire putty exhaust
> assembly paste from Halfords in the UK.

I don't seem to be able to find any details on this putty, other than it can withstand 1000+C° and that it stays elastic while applying.
Do they have any other technical data on the box or on the back of the tube? Like thermal and electrical conductivity?
December 05, 2012 06:41PM
No there is no info on the tube and it didn't come in a box. It seems very similar to the glass rope glue I use previously but is easier to get hold of and cheaper.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 13, 2012 12:41AM
So, I ended up buying the exhaust tailpipe repair paste, from SuperCheapAuto for $8 bucks and it worked quite well. I have already printed around 5 meters of filament with it and so far so good.

It was impossible to apply the paste with gloves, so I did it with bare hands and took extra care to not touch it.
Follow the pictures:

[www.flickr.com]

[www.flickr.com]

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login