Advanced

where to get parts.... for spreadsheet use

Posted by psytron 
where to get parts.... for spreadsheet use
January 01, 2010 08:40PM
Hi there,
I am requesting any parts suppliers contributions
from those kind enough to share, Eventual aim is to add
an aus section to the spreadsheet on the wiki.

Main focus is some of the more hard to find stuff
as most of us even in regional areas should be able
to find nuts, threaded rod etc.

Just reply below or PM.

thankyou.
Hi
I am planning on running a winter studio at UTS (architecture) to put together two Mendel machines.

I am trying to get my head around the what and where too. There seem to be a few places just to get the list, although the open office list seems to be the most complete.

Have you had much luck finding all the stuff and putting your machine together?
Re: where to get parts.... for spreadsheet use
May 26, 2010 08:07PM
Some suppliers of electronics and hardware parts (delivery) are the following

These have been recommended by the industrial design department at UTS so should be very good. I have had a quick look at the electriconics suppliers catalogue and this seems very extensive. Should be ordering from both in the next few weeks.

I am also updating my spread sheet as I go, so perhaps we can swap notes at some stage.

James
May 26, 2010 08:12PM
Woops, here are the names

Suppliers

Hardware

www.blackwoods.com.au

Electronics

www.farnell.com.au
Alastair
July 22, 2010 06:16PM
I have had good success buying from [futurlec.com]
Postage to aus starts from $4, good range and good prices
August 28, 2010 11:28PM
Bunnings have threaded rods ZP imperial (5/16" ~7.98xx mm) in 24" and 36".
January 27, 2011 01:24AM
Hi,

My name is Scott. I'm a habitual project starter. Its been a while since my last meeting. ;-)

I'm in the midst of parts pricing and gathering as well. The list on the RUG Melbourne Wiki (Link) was easier on my eyes than further trawling through various google results. Anyway, I do have some additions.

Allthread
As at ANSIdate 20110127, I have a quotation from Southern Fasteners (Link), Ex GST;

8 * 1Metre M8 Zinc Plated Allthread @ A$1.75 ea NETT or
8 * 1Metre M8 304 Stainless Steel Allthread @ A$7.00 ea NETT

That would be cheaper than the BigGreenShed. I would conjecture from that, that local fastener merchants may have similar pricing and it would keep the shipment cost down buying local, if you can.

Timing Belts
Also, as at ANSIdate 20110127, I have a quotation from PIES Australia for T5 timing belt, EX GST

10T5/990 belt $22.00 + gst
10T5-M open length $28.00 p/mtr + gst

I did also find that the 10T5/990 continuous belt price was less than half that of what I'd found online with Farnell Australia (now Element14) (Link).
I also noted that AusXMod are listing open length 10T5 timing belt (Link) significantly cheaper still.

Does anyone have other options for timing belts? You can't connect/glue open ended PU belts of only 5mm width, can you?

Anyway, nice to meet you.
Seeya,

Scott Zwanenbeek
January 27, 2011 07:59PM
Hey ZombieBait,

As the guy 'mainly' behind the Melb wiki page, I'm happy for people anywhere in Aus to edit the page and update it with links to any Aus suppliers.

In fact, I've been thinking it might be worth while simply having an "Australian" suppliers page, rather than one per RUG. Of course, any supplier should have the state they are based in listed, so that people in various states can choose a place closer to them.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?
January 27, 2011 10:34PM
Anyway, I do have some additions.
Scott, you may want to stuff those into the wiki so that Cefiar doesn't have to.smiling bouncing smiley

Anyone else think this is a good idea?
Go for it. grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
January 28, 2011 04:50AM
Awesome. I'm definately up for being part of the solution :-)

Did you want me to update the general suppliers list on the RUG Melbourne wiki or is there an Australian spreadsheet (OO)?

Seeya,
Scott
January 28, 2011 06:06AM
I think we should just create a Australian suppliers page on the Wiki. I can easily chuck the entries from the Melb page on there and people can add to it as they like. In fact.... Done!

The Aus suppliers page is now Australian Suppliers

I've moved it off the Melbourne RUG page completely, and will add a link to the Suppliers page from the MRUG page.

Note: For the moment I've added 'VIC' to the end of places here in Victoria, and also done similar for places in other states. Later I'll go through the page and convert it into a table format with the suppliers town/state listed as a column for easier identification.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 06:47AM by Cefiar.
January 28, 2011 07:42PM
Noice! ;-) Do we add a link on the RUG listing page or to an overall AusRUG wiki??? or both??

Anyway, I've updated the Australia sources page. I don't know if its a format that you want. I personally like to know the ballpark cost but if you determine it's inappropriate, I don't have a problem with anyone removing it. Maybe that can go into a table or separate spreadsheet (with quotation date)?

seeya,
Scott
January 28, 2011 09:14PM
Re: Link...

Add it to both!

Re: Update format.

I reformatted it slightly, and added notes at the top of the page. One of the reasons I never listed it on the page was that when I looked for prices on stuff, the Aus dollar was floating around wildly and the prices changed regularly. One of the notes I added mentioned that the prices listed are indicative only, and that people should check all pricing before ordering.

I've also added a Tools section (taken almost verbatim from the CCHS Hardware Resources page). If the table format works for people, I'm happy to convert the rest to the same format (in sections). if not, I'm happy to use whatever format works.

Note: I'm actually the maintainer of the CCHS Hardware Resources page. It's not specifically aimed at RepRap, but there is a fair bit of overlap. I would love it if HackerSpaces who have similar "Supplier" pages were linked from the Aus Suppliers page. Happy to have them link to our page too!
January 28, 2011 09:17PM
Hehe! Thank you folks! I just love watching that page grow :-D
August 01, 2011 07:29AM
I don't want people to think that I've jumped on this forum just to make sales. I am actually interested in reprap. However, I do operate an aircraft hardware shop at Camden. If you are prepared to make minor alterations to your bolt and screw sizes so that you can use Imperial sized hardware (based on inch units of length) I have a wide range to chooese from. My prices are very low, and each item is certified for use in aircraft, so you can be assured of the quality. You can contact me at qedhardware@gmail.com.

Old Man Emu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login