Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there a working Mendel in Sydney?

Posted by rbdavison 
Is there a working Mendel in Sydney?
June 26, 2010 05:44AM
Hi All,

I'm new here and am wondering if there anyone yet has a working machine near Sydney?
I'm looking to put together a Mendel and am looking for someone local to buy the plastic parts from.

Cheers,
Bernie.
Re: Is there a working Mendel in Sydney?
July 09, 2010 12:51AM
I am looking to build a MakerBot. I want to do my own electronics though. I am in Gosford (St Huberts Is actually) but travel to the Gold Coast regularly. I did notice the micromendel which looks nice and small.

Might even be able to scrounge some bits from 2 printer/scanners (identical) that have been pensioned off but not thrown yet.
August 18, 2010 12:51PM
i am almost printing not on a mendel but on a CNC machine i have built:

[www.marklagana.com]

started doing tests but a part broke and am waiting on replacement.

i've been selling the plastic parts for a pinchwheel extruder to folks around the world and aus, soon i hope to sell wades geared extruder as a kit with the hardware but atleast the plastic parts, the gears are originally printed on a commercial 3d printer and then cast in resin.

eventually i will print the mendel parts on both my printer and more important parts on a commercial printer, then hopefully make a giant mould and hopefully be able to sell mendel kits in plastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 12:53PM by mlagana.
August 18, 2010 04:28PM
i am almost printing not on a mendel but on a CNC machine i have built:

Neat! Want to wiki it up? smileys with beer
http://reprap.org/wiki/Mlagana_Machine

eventually i will print the mendel parts on both my printer and more important parts on a commercial printer, then hopefully make a giant mould and hopefully be able to sell mendel kits in plastic.

Mendel is a wonderful learning experience for moldmaking. (You have been warned smiling bouncing smiley ) I'd suggest a
http://reprap.org/wiki/WolfStrap-English
http://reprap.org/wiki/Eiffel
August 19, 2010 02:20AM
yeah i'm looking at it as a challenge winking smiley i have lots of experience with the silicone i'm using atleast.

what should i put on that wiki? Photos?
i wouldn't recommend the path i have chosen, balsa prototype -> silicone mould and resin casting.. pretty time consuming and expensive, but i had all the materials for that already. although now if i break a part (already warped my main bed once) i can just re-cast it and fix the problem.

also the axis don't run on any bearings, mostly plastic moving on stainless steel rod out of old printers...
August 19, 2010 08:16AM
what should i put on that wiki? Photos?

Technical drawings, nice big photos, etc. If you think someone else will want to build a RepStrap like yours. drinking smiley

If it is a 'junkbot', with parts harvested from old photocopiers, etc. it may be tricky for the next builder to do one up, and you may want to spend your time on something else. grinning smiley

But if is a clean design the next bloke can do up ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 08:19AM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
August 20, 2010 11:40AM
unfortunately all my drawings i drew on ol fashioned paper and they are ruined but i'll try and put some info and pics, maybe a couple of .stl's.
April 06, 2011 03:39AM
under construction in the blue mountains
New Build in (North) Sydney
April 06, 2011 06:56AM
Hi All,

Been lining up my ducks (postage packs) the past few weeks and am looking forward to really getting started this weekend! I think (and hope!) that I have all that I need.

I'm in North Sydney and it would be great to be in touch with the Sydney community. I'm planning a Mendel with RAMPS set up.

Will certainly let everyone know when I'm up and running!

I've tried to hedge against postage costs a bit and ordered a couple of extra bearing and belt kits to sell off locally. Will post/advertise again when a bit more organised but PM me if you're interested.

Good luck all!

Evans2481
April 09, 2011 10:27AM
i'm printing very reliably now and have been selling wades extruder kits for a while, have got hot ends and motors now too. in other words i have full extruder kits although haven't had time to actually take photos and advertise them and won't for a while as i'm freelancing for 3 more weeks

this year though i hope to be able to sell electronics and cnc kits too, probably some kind of prusa mendel with some aspects of the sells mendel incorporated.
May 10, 2011 06:51AM
I am in castle hill. Are you ready to sell a kit?
May 15, 2011 08:46PM
Hi Melagana,
I have just built a Huxley from techzone and i would be interested in finding some one to supply extruder
hardware in sydney. Look like you can help.
May 23, 2011 07:16AM
Quick update - I'm fully assembled and working through some calibration prints but have been a little hampered by some misguided hot end building I've been doing ....

Everything else running okay and I think I finally got my head around a working toolchain over the w/e.

Just thought I better fess up ...

@mlagana - what hot end design have you been working with / have for sale? are you able to post pics now?

@stone monkey - how's the reprap in the mountains going?
July 07, 2011 03:08AM
sorry i'm sold out of hot ends,

i'm testing a new one will keep you all posted if/when i get more.
August 01, 2011 07:21AM
I have a desktop CNC machine running MACH3 as the controller software. Will that work with a Wade's extruder. Also, do I need another controller board for the extruder?

Old Man Emu
I'm in Penrith and looking to get some printed parts for a Mendel, is there anyone in the Western Sydney area who wants to start a group towards setting some up or are their any existing groups?
August 09, 2011 10:46PM
Can anyone help please?

I'm near Chatswood and looking to set up a larger build area reprap Mendel very soon (maybe the new Techzone Mondo if/when user feedback is favourable).

I'd be interested in a Sydney user group to share ideas. (The Melbourne reprap guys seem to be ahead of us!)
September 22, 2011 01:12PM
i'm testing a J-head nozzle that is working for ABS only, PLA leaks... getting a new one to test soon with a setscrew for the ptfe sleeve and that will be an aluminum nozzle if that goes well i'll be getting it made for sale.

for now i've only got the extruder body with motor and hardware for sale: i've just upgraded from wades to gregs:

[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login