Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Here ye...

Posted by thedingwing 
Here ye...
January 16, 2013 02:32AM
I'm in Villa Park, Orange County with a Prusa Mendel. Who else is around?
Re: Here ye...
February 24, 2013 05:55PM
I am in San Diego, dont have a modle yet, but would love to learn more about them and what is involved to making one for myself.
Re: Here ye... REP RAP IE
March 12, 2013 06:18PM
Hi guys!!
I'm out in the IE. Not sure if you guys are interested in doing a meet up.
I too am looking for rep rap people & printed parts in or near 91730 area code.

I've been wanting to build a rep rap for quite a while now.
If anyone is interested in an SoCal IE user group for RepRaps let me know

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 06:22PM by sonic397.
Re: Here ye... REP RAP IE
April 26, 2013 06:55PM
I'm out in Redlands, and building a MendelMax. Yeah, I'd like to have an IE RepRap user group.
June 04, 2013 06:18PM
I just now registered and signed on. Was involved in electronics when an Apple ][e was popular! Retired now and disabled and looks like these things are about ready to take off big time. Would like to follow the progress amoung genuine human beings. Would like to begin a build a bit at a time and would love to be a part of an IE group (I'm up in the Hight Desert, however)
possible dual nozzle for repap
June 05, 2013 06:22PM
I'm surfing the web about 3D printers and have heard mention of a support material being added during printing by a second nozzle. Anyone know about this already? I recall reading someone ask about printing upside down like bees and wasps. That's quite an interesting idea. Comes to my mind that some of those little filiments gumming up the works would be danglers and perhaps be less in the way.
Re: possible dual nozzle for repap
June 05, 2013 09:01PM
I have, the support material is a water souluble plastic called PVA. I'm not sure how one would generate the g-code tho. As far as printing up-side-down: I don't see any benefit that outweighs the massive headache that it would cause.

BTW: your questions are rather off topic (OT). You'd get better replies if you post in the forum designated for printing questions
June 09, 2013 06:27PM
Orange County, Laguna Niguel,
Jim
June 29, 2013 10:39PM
I am in Cypress and work in the Santa Ana/Tustin border. I got bitten by the 3D bug and I am exploring my options about building a RepRap.

Looking for some guidance smiling smiley
August 31, 2013 10:24PM
I haven't got anything yet, still exploring. Feel more comfortable if we could have mutual local support.
Last post June 29, are we all still around?
I'm in Newport.
August 31, 2013 10:37PM
Hey thedingwing & roddy,

Congrats on your working models! You're way ahead of everyone in SC I guess. If you guys want to meet up and have moral support, I'll buy you the best Pho in Little Saigon (they're cheap, but Good!).

Planning to look for a Prusa like roddy did.

Charles
August 31, 2013 10:46PM
I've had my machine for over 7 months now and I've learned a lot. Having a printer has been very useful and fun. I'd love to get some sort of a community going. Like I said earlier, I'm in Orange (Villa Park).
August 31, 2013 10:56PM
I'd be down for pho. I got a Prusa but I'm planning on rebuilding it into something similar to a MendelMax. The threaded rod frame is very flimsy at high print speeds, and I'd like to have the possibility of doing simple CNC milling in the future.
September 01, 2013 08:38AM
Great, let plan for a meet up sometime. What's your time table like? I can do lunch on any weekday, weekend I have check with the wife and kids. I wonder if anyone else wants to join.

After some researching, I think I'll get a cheap Prusa (like roddy did) or build one (scary) because the documentation is most complete at reprap.org.

Charles
September 01, 2013 01:48PM
Due to my class schedule, weekends are best for me. If you start with quality electronics, I'd say go for the build. It'll probably be cheaper and you'll know the machine like the back of your hand. I have a source for free power supplies, cables, some other stuff so let me know what route you decide to go. Documentation is excellent and I'll be happy to share my experiences of how not to build a printer winking smiley
September 01, 2013 02:05PM
Wow! I am impressed! That you have the tenacity to follow thru with the project.

Here's my thinking. Now that you may be able to offer me some guidance with the build; I agree to go with the build to gain deeper skills. So let meet up to see how you get along with an old man (I'm mid 50), exchange some general ideas (I do this with some commercial interest in mind) where we want to go, then set and go if things work out.

On weekends, my best time would be after 2:30 PM Saturday. Does it work for you?

Charles
September 01, 2013 03:27PM
Hey Charles & Thedingwing,

Include me in your little party, I want to build my own Prusa although a MendelMax will be sweet.
Let me know when are we going for pho too smiling smiley
September 04, 2013 11:22AM
I heard good mention of the MendelMax, too. Another option you may want to look into, if you're not confident of going alone, is to check out the Airwolf in Costa Mesa. They have a show room, but you have to call in advance. I plan to call sometime in the next few weeks. They all so have a Meetup planned for OC. No schedule yet.
September 04, 2013 05:08PM
MatterHackers is great for fillament but they only carry fully assembled printers (AirWolfs). They have pretty normal hours; you only need an appointment for weekends. The main reason I'm interested in MendelMax is the rigid aluminum frame would be suitable for light CNC machinging (although the x-ends would need some small changes).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2013 05:10PM by thedingwing.
September 20, 2013 07:52PM
I'm in Escondido (north San Diego county), just built a Prusa i3 from a MakerFarm kit and I've been printing for about 4 weeks now. Not much time for get togethers but getting started up has been a real learning experience... If there was a place to meet once a month on weekends I would definitely be up for that, preferably a place where we can do some actual messy stuff, compare notes, help each other with troubleshooting etc.
October 22, 2013 04:27AM
Hey I live in southern Orange County and recently purchased a reprap prusa mendal with the arduino mega 2560 and ramps 1.4 and need help configuring it. I was told the end stops are miswired and the thermostar so i am seeking help if anyone knows how to get this thing working the seller lives really far and kind of left me a bit confused so I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with this machine. Is there a group that gets together to learn about the machines ? How much are the classes to attend ? Or how much would it be to meet up with someone that could help me get this thing up and running? I would really appreciate any help I can get. I am super excited that I found this forum with people in oc , ie and San Diego area that are using 3d printers! Thanks so much
October 22, 2013 11:56AM
I've never heard of paid RepRap classes and most of us are willing to help out for free. Biggest thing is finding a convenient meeting place.
October 22, 2013 07:59PM
Hi Pheebs05,
Jim here, your thermostar must be a thermistor, which is a combination of thermal and resistor. they are used to measure temperature since the resistance changes with temperature. Your nozzle will most likely not extrude any plastic until a set temp is reached. The heated bed will have a thermistor too. Anything that gets hot needs a way to monitor temp.
Um what else..no endstops can prevent movement I think. Did you buy a used printer?
October 23, 2013 03:34AM
Hi Pheebs,

If you can take a picture and post it here that will help. Just try to get a few pictures that cover the entire board especially where the endstops and thermistors are connected. I assume you have two thermistor connections, one for the heated bed and one for the nozzle. Also, which nozzle are you using?

Endstop wiring is pretty straightforward, it's just a switch closure, no way to get it backwards. If the thermistor does not match the thermistor the firmware was built for your temperature readings may not match.
January 16, 2014 01:05AM
Howdy yall, Just wondering where to order a kit from?Are there local suppliers that are price competitive with online sellers?, and are the sturdier Mendel kits recommended for a first time assembler or should I try an different model for my first try?
Im in Murrieta and I would be interested in meeting up if it was a bring your machine and learn from each other type of deal....Thanks for any replies
January 16, 2014 10:43AM
Makerfarm.com also has download able build instructions so you can see what you are in for.
February 10, 2014 03:31PM
Go to meetup.com and search for FAB LAB San Diego. Wednesday (Feb 12) they have a 3D printing meetup at their place in Kearney Mesa (San Diego).

They have a regular Saturday event which I haven't been able to attend yet but I've visited the space there and it seems like a very cool setup.
June 02, 2014 08:14PM
Hi Folks - Greetings
Newbie here - West Hills, CA
And a Dad of 13yr twin boys.
Currently sourcing and ebay'ing all the parts and hardware for my first machine - Prusa i3.
Thought this might be an excellent way of prying my boy's eyeballs off of the Xbox for a while
and gain some knowledge for all 3 of us together - lol. Found my way into this cool DIY Reprap stuff
via messing around with Arduinos and Raspberry Pi's. Have to print out the plans for the single aluminum plate frame
and do some band sawing and drilling. Looking forward to getting this machine running soon!

cheers! - JD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login