Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

San Diego group?

Posted by some_biker 
San Diego group?
November 14, 2013 03:22PM
Anyone in San Diego want to geek out and mess around with their 3d printers?? I’m new to 3d printing and I’m in the process of configuring my firmware and getting my software running.
Re: San Diego group?
November 15, 2013 01:32PM
Interested yes, San Diego around Mira Mesa, Sorrento Mesa or anywhere further north on I-15.. If there was a suitable place to meet up it would be a good start.
November 18, 2013 12:56PM
I'm actually closer to the 8, but I dont mind traveling up to Sorrento Valley. I'm looking into calibration right now and trying to get everything perfect. Do you have a place in Sorrento Valley/ Mira Mesa? Maybe we could meet up on the weekend.
November 18, 2013 01:12PM
That's the problem, I don't have a good place. Weekends tend to actually be more busy for me and I live up in Escondido. I'm hoping someone will read this and have an industrial type space.

I've been trying to find a hackerspace around here - that would be ideal. I can't pin anything down although a google search comes up with a few: [foursquare.com]
[www.facebook.com] (no activity for almost 2 years)
This looks pretty cool but membership ($150/month) WAY out of my price range: [www.makerplace.com]
November 18, 2013 03:05PM
oh man... you and i both buddy. i'm from San Francisco so i'm very aware of hackerspace up there, and my family is into all that. Apparently there was one in the Clairemont area but i dont think it worked out. I'd love to have an idustrial type space, but i agree that $150 is too much.
November 20, 2013 05:16PM
There is/was [neucleon.org] out in El Cajon but I haven't been able to find out if they're still active (last posting on their Drupal site or on Google Groups was almost 2y ago).

Still haven't given up on finding a RUG meetup space, at this point my most likely option seems to be a community center hall for rent on the cheap with a hard floor...
December 02, 2013 07:35PM
Makerplace prob isn't a great space just to meet up - it costs that much because it's huge and they provide access to all kinds of machines for various making needs. Wish I had a space to let you know about - Maybe Ansir Innovation Center in Kearny Mesa or 3rd Space in University Heights, but I don't know if they do that sort of thing. Or possibly FabLab in City Heights? Oh and also there's a new DIY-Bio hackerspace in Carlsbad and I forget the name, but they seemed pretty open to the sort of meetup you're talking about.
December 03, 2013 01:40PM
Yes, I heard back from Makerplace, they actually have a meeting room which is free for members and accessible to non-members, but it's carpeted. And I can't really afford membership there...

I'm currently looking for community center rooms for rent - Escondido Center for the Arts has a 1000sq. ft art studio (with a hard floor) they rent out for a reasonable rate. I'm trying to get details. I'm looking for something I wouldn't have to front more than $100 or so and then hope enough people show up that I can pass the hat and recoup most of it.

If you have contact suggestions for any of the places you mentioned feel free to message me (if you'd rather not post it here). Fab Lab looks good, and they are organizing a mini Maker Faire at the Del Mar fairgrounds this Saturday (December 7). Unfortunately I won't be able to make it...

I found DIYbio on Meetup.com, sounds like they may be what you're talking about?
December 05, 2013 02:36PM
I heard back from Ansir Innovation Center in Kearney Mesa and will be talking to them soon about meetups there.

In the process I found this meetup group which sounds like they already have a place figured out: [www.meetup.com]

It looks like they already met back in September.
December 08, 2013 05:50AM
Worked at the Maker Faire today and it was great.

I met these guys who are opening up a space in San Marcos soon, so a little closer to you than the rest of those previous options: [www.opensourcemakerlabs.com]

Also met the folks who run Fablab and Ansir and both were super cool though I didn't ask about meetup spaces. The Fablab contact is Katie Rast and you can find her info on the Fablab website. Sounds like you're in contact with Ping from Ansir already.

The name of the Carlsbad hackerspace is Bio, Tech and Beyond. I'm sure the DIYBio meetup group is associated with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 05:53AM by Eric Young.
December 09, 2013 04:15AM
I was really sorry to miss it - hopefully there will be more of these - sounds like there was a good turnout.

I went to Ansir Friday and met with Wesley - they have several spaces that would be good. I got a look at FabLab (which is also there) but haven't spoken with Katie yet.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Eric Schleicher (the organizer of 3D Printing San Diego on Meetup) but it sounds like they are still active. They had a meetup planned for Tuesday 10 December which got postponed due to resource conflicts. From looking at pictures of their last meetup in September they have a great facility and had a really good turnout (70+ people).
December 10, 2013 02:44AM
Yeah there were around 5000 people in attendance, which was really nice to see and like 40% more than they were expecting. Sounds like there will definitely be another one next year.

I just joined that 3D printing meetup too, hope they have another one soon.

FabLab has a meetup every Saturday if you're interested. Not really 3D printer specific, but looks pretty cool. I'm planning to go this weekend: [www.meetup.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 02:56AM by Eric Young.
February 25, 2014 07:57PM
I was kinda hoping to find a North County group myself. I am just now starting to research 3D printers, so I'm not bound into any particular mindset at this point.
As far as lab space goes, I think I'm pretty fortunate in that I have a nicely equipped workshop. Mostly woodworking equipment, and enough metalworking stuff that I should be able to build printer frames of wood or extruded aluminum. I can't accommodate 70 people at once, but maybe once I get jigged up I can have a couple of people at a time come up and build. It might be quite a drive, though, since I live in Valley Center.
March 13, 2014 09:49AM
There are a few people out this way who've expressed interest - I'm in Escondido, some are in San Marcos, a couple of people in Temecula, etc.

I've had my hands full between work and a new baby in the house...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login