Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help with Ramps 1.4/Arduino Mega 2560 & Marlin setup

Posted by wfmann 
Need help with Ramps 1.4/Arduino Mega 2560 & Marlin setup
August 24, 2019 03:38PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been putting together a 3D printer from ewaste parts... DVD and floppy drive motors and ATX PC power supply. The Hotend is a Usongshine J-Head V6

I'm using a Ramps board 1.4 with an Arduino Mega 2560 and I'm using the Marlin Firmware.

Using Pronterface I've been able to get the X, Y and Z motors to operate, but I am having trouble with the Hotend not heating. I have these configuration settings:

#define MOTHERBOARD 43
#define EXTRUDERS 1
#define POWER_SUPPLY 1

Now, here are some details of my investigation so far...
I can turn the cooling fan on, using M106 command, and I measure 12 V at the D9 terminals. I can also (obviously) measure 5 V at Arduino pin 9 and at the left post of the controlling MOSFET.
When I attempt to set the hot end temperature, the attempt fails and the operation terminates, after several seconds. There is also no voltage across the D10 terminals. If I remove the thermistor connection, then the operation fails instantly. I don't measure a 5 V signal coming from Arduino pin 10 nor at the left MOSFET controlling the D10 terminals.

Here's where I am confused. When I separate the Ramps board from the Arduino, I can set the Hotend temperature and NOW I am able to measure 5 V at Arduino pin 10. The M106 command is still able to apply 5 V to pin 9.

So when the Arduino IS NOT connected to the Ramps board I am able to measure 5 V at pin 10, when attempting to heat the Hotend. When the Ramps board IS connected I measure 0 V at pin 10, when the attempting to heat the Hotend.

This is also consistent with interchanging two Arduino Mega boards and two Ramps 1.4 boards. Initially I thought a board may have been bad, but since I get the same responses from the new boards, I'm really confused.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, I'm really excited to get this thing put together and get it operating!
Re: Need help with Ramps 1.4/Arduino Mega 2560 & Marlin setup
August 25, 2019 04:08PM
I think I found my problem. The thermistor reads zero resistance, so I've ordered replacements and will test it out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login