Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homeprototypes: use of MediaGoblin?

Posted by MarcusWolschon 
Homeprototypes: use of MediaGoblin?
January 15, 2013 08:36AM
We're still gathering people and brainstorming about an alternative design hosting site.
Name for now is "Homeprototype.org" (Already reserved the domains, so they can't be taken).

One of the main point is, where to store all the designs and images.
( [github.com] )

Please store all options, pro and contra arguments in the wiki, so they don't get lost in a lengthy discussion and we can at one point vote to make a final design decition.

One option that was suggested for MediaGoblin.
( [mediagoblin.org] )

It seems to already support 3D designs and skinning.
Does anyone have some experience with it or an insight into it's inner working?
I guess at first all storage space would still be local to the server that hosts the site.
Given the popularity, this can possibly get expensive and/or slow.
(Thingiverse seems to use Amazon S3 for storage of large files but of cause someone has to pay for it.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 11:22AM by MarcusWolschon.

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
Re: Homeprototypes: use of MediaGoblin?
January 15, 2013 09:25AM
I know of 3 websites that tried to replace thingiverse, one of them is [cubehero.com], another is the pirate bay (but thats just a mess) the other I cant find anymore... but it was not a viable solution either.

They all tried to offer a solution but only have half the required features to offer a functional web site and have basicly been sitting dead in the water ever since they came out. With only a handfull of filles uploaded (and on the bay most of it is junk) they are not going to replace thingiverse.

One of their major drawbacks (and I think the reason why they didnt catch on) is the lack of a system to properly organize the projects. Everything is a big melting pot or in the case of cubehero you cant view what others are making... just trying to find anything gets frustrating, maybe im not using it right...

If we want the site to gain support it needs to have a set of basic features available at launch. What I think should be done before launch is this:

On the front page:

-Top rated projects (could work automaticly using a community based voting system, objects would be pushed back down the list everytime a new item gets featured and only the top 5 would display on the main page, the full list should be browsable in some way)

-A view of the latess projects (what ever is new)

All with screenshots

On the project pages

-Screenshots, project notes and downloads

-A way to link derrivatives

-Comment system

On the site in general

Categories to organize stuff

A bread crum system or some other way to easily navigate the categories

A way to save items to our favorites (right now use this simply to bookmark them for later use but can be expanded later for a "like" system)

If you have this you allready beat everything else that is out there and offer a viable solution that ppl can start using right away. Now this list is in no way complete but I beleive those are the most important things that ppl will need/want right at the start. Other features like a webgl stl viewer, facebook integration, who is making what are all very nice things that should eventualy make it on the site but are not a priority to functionally replace thingiverse.

Also, not sure about using media wiki, it may be a good solution I really dont know, all im saying is that if this is to work whoever codes this should not settle on something that half works through work arounds. If ppl have to jump through hoops to do what they used to it wont catch on.

There are reasons thingiverse was so cool, a lot of things were done right on that site and a lot of it should be part of the alternative. One of its best feature is: Its easy to use.

Fred.

Oh btw, I may be able to help with some graphics, did a few websites in my days, I no michalengello but if you need some graphics to get things started I will be happy to help. Can't do worst than the thingiverse website xD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 09:47AM by thecrazy.
January 15, 2013 09:39AM
Sounds pretty much like what I had in mind.
Full linking between derived+parent designs<->design<->designer<->likes would be an absolut must-have.
As is a a way to render preview images for at least STL.
A WebGL 3D viewer is more of an optional feature in my book.

One of the biggest problems before any coding can start however would be hosting space.
That has a lot of impact on the features that can be offered and what existing codebase can be used.

To get back on topic (we have a forum here after all, so we can open multiple topics and stay focused):
the distributed Storage of MediaGoblin using OpenStack's "Swift" sounds like a nice thing.
Lots of work to set it up but much less coding involved.
Storage servers could be ad-payed/sponsored Amazon EC2/S3 instances or VMs on people's private servers contributing space and bandwidth.
Implementing our own could be easier but replication and proper testing to make it bullet proof could be a major effort.

* Blog
* Google+
January 15, 2013 11:09AM
theCrazy:
Would you be willing to have a look at how much the styling/templating mechanism of MediaGoblin allows us to do
and
also to make a dummy of static html files for a site?
No graphics, just a few files with a basic div or table based layout to click through.
e.g. index.html<->somedesign.html<->someuser.html<->someuserlikes.html<->somedesign.html<->download.html
so we can have some example to discuss required and optional features with?

Myself I'm still fairly busy with the yearly taxes for a few days.

* Blog
* Google+
January 15, 2013 01:49PM
Well, I could try, but I never used MediaGoblin before so im not sure. Ill take a look at it and see what I can do. I no web dev tough so dont expect too much cool smiley
January 15, 2013 02:12PM
Neither did I.
That's why I have no idea what is and is not possible regarding styling/replacing parts of the HTML interface and adding new features to the HTML interface without touching the code of MediaGoblin.

* Blog
* Google+
January 15, 2013 03:56PM
Done but its a simple white page with tables as place holders.

Get it here [dl.dropbox.com]

Maybe you can put it up somewere on that domain you registered? so everyone can look at it.

Also, I took a look at mediagoblin and honestly, were gonna need help. Im sure I can get it running but any customization to the website that cant be done via the interface will require a web developer. Also, will need help with the security, I can install all the requirements but I have no clue were to start to make sure we dont get hacked.

Plus we need a place to host a linux box that runs a debian based distro like ubuntu, cause... well thats what i have experience on (limited experience).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 04:05PM by thecrazy.
January 16, 2013 02:26AM
Done:

[dummy.homeprototypes.org]

* Blog
* Google+
January 16, 2013 03:29AM
I've set up a mediagoblin to play around
[mediagoblin.homeprototypes.org]

limitations found so far:
* Tags must be shorter than 50 characters
* this can be change in the config
* .zip .stl .pdf ... need to be added as supported file types.
* STL can be added easily in the config.
* arbitrary file types can be allowed but are mentioned as a security risk.
* It seems we need to modify it to support multiple files per design/media

Haven't looked at how to change the html templates yet.
mediagoblin/themes/... seems to store that. But it contains to few files for an entire theme.

css, js, fonts and images are in mediagoblin/static easy to change.
Translations are easy to change .mo files in mediagoblin/i18n

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 03:44AM by MarcusWolschon.

* Blog
* Google+
January 16, 2013 04:10AM
It seems that STL support requires blender on the server....
[docs.mediagoblin.org]

Allowing attachments solves that multiple-file issue partly.
There is still only 1 main image.

example: [mediagoblin.homeprototypes.org]

So far it doesn't look like MediaGoblin does provide any advantage to coding our own site using some framework like PHPCake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 04:20AM by MarcusWolschon.

* Blog
* Google+
January 16, 2013 07:14AM
Insted of modifying MediaGoblin I added some more code to the scaffolding.
The 3D view of STL files doesn't yet work. Probably due to cross-domain URLs used in testing.

a design:
[homeprototype.org]
a design that isn't public yet
[homeprototype.org]
a user:
[homeprototype.org]
an overview:
[homeprototype.org]
all latest designs:
[homeprototype.org]

(This isn't a dummy. The designs come from an actual database, login and user-registration work and in theory creation of designs, files and images should work too.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 07:42AM by MarcusWolschon.

* Blog
* Google+
January 16, 2013 01:24PM
Looking good, i like were this is going. Good work with media goblin.

I was browsing the web for other open source frameworks and it came to me that what we are looking may be much closer to a social networking website than a wiki, except in our case its the designs that have "friends". I looked at a few options out there, there's elgg.org [www.anahitapolis.com] and I also stumbled on [www.joomla.org] which pretend to be a content management system and has a ton of very cool plugins to do everything we may ever want except host a 3d file repository, so that part would require work but its very interesting.
January 16, 2013 02:13PM
Programming the graph of parent- and child design isn't more then 2-3 hours of work.
A good actual storage system for the files and images is a real issue.

For a federated storage think "replication" and streaming the content directly from the storage node without wasting bandwidth on the web-server.
An alternative to a federated storage could be a tight integration of Amazon S3 instead.

* Blog
* Google+
January 17, 2013 12:59AM
Storage, however we do it is going to cost money and time. The question is how much money vs time. I think amazon may be the way to go here, its ready, easy and especially: reliable. From what i read they even seem to have free accounts, ok just a few GBs but still enough to get thins started. I wouldnt be surpirised if we did the maths and found out its cheaper to use their service then try to get our own storage going with the same level of reliability and availability.

There was also tha other website for storage you posted about on git, didnt take time to read it, seemed interesting but i dont know about having to manage all that and how reliable will it be? It will definitly take a lot more time to setup and maintain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 01:06AM by thecrazy.
January 17, 2013 01:01AM
Free for a limited usage for the first year for new customers.
Once you've been there for a year it's hard to go anywhere else anyway.
There is another thread about financing and a legal entity.

* Blog
* Google+
January 17, 2013 02:33AM
...added a license selection and -display to the skaffolding.
Could be interesting to see what it takes to implement a git-based backend.
Maybe
[github.com]
can be used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 02:35AM by MarcusWolschon.

* Blog
* Google+
January 17, 2013 02:45AM
MarcusWolschon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...added a license selection and -display to the
> skaffolding.
> Could be interesting to see what it takes to
> implement a git-based backend.
> Maybe
> [github.com]
> can be used.

Yes please try to go that route. please please please.

For oh sooooo many reasons.
January 17, 2013 02:48AM
Does anyone have experience with a php git library?
Anything that can also add files and create repositories local and remotely?

* Blog
* Google+
January 17, 2013 07:14AM
I made some changes to allow experimentation with git.
Since this is no longer MediaGoblin specific, I added a new topic:
[forums.reprap.org]

* Blog
* Google+
January 17, 2013 09:15AM
Added multiple parents, multiple children, the ability to show these, the "newest derived" designs in the start-page and additional optimisations and added security checkes.

The "add parent" and "X=remove parent" buttons don't work yet.

* Blog
* Google+
January 25, 2013 07:25PM
Afternoon,

Love reading the brainstorming here.

I'm running www.3dhacker.com. A place to showcase anything in 3d printing.

If anyone would like to collaborate on an stl repository that has full functionality like Thingiverse and beyond I would support it. (I have some unique ideas for a better site.)

I also have the urls of downloadhardware.com and hardwaredownload.com. These are awesome names haha. They literally say what is happening if someone is downloading files for 3d printing.

All the best, love the discussions, and just unboxed the open source LulzBot AO-101: [www.youtube.com]

Andrew
www.3dhacker.com
January 26, 2013 01:57AM
Looks more like a shop for printer hardware then a repository.
Where are the sourcecode and license of your sites software, to have a look?

* Blog
* Google+
January 26, 2013 09:46AM
@MarcusWolschon

Yes, at the moment 3dhacker.com is a hardware site for anyone to showcase/sell 3d printing related hardware.

I would like to add more, free offerings like the .stl repository.

As for giving away the source code to "have a look" I will need to refrain for obvious reasons. I can easily support another site which could later be joined to 3dhacker.com.

I'm looking for the repository to be a free/open playground for all,

Andrew
January 26, 2013 05:04PM
So your looking for free programmers to improve or advertise your company's shopsite?

* Blog
* Google+
January 26, 2013 05:08PM
Yes, I would like 1,000 programmers to freely contribute to my site haha.

No..

Andrew
March 21, 2013 05:29PM
What I don't like about thingiverse is that there is for example not a group for 'RepRap Air 2'.

If there were groups like that, I could just click the group and see all prints that are connected with the Air 2 and see if there are any updated parts available.

For now thats the only thing that I am missing in Thingiverse. I am still new though, so might spot other things.

In Thingiverse it is now sometimes very hard to find the 'good stuff', meaning I have to search endlessly through pages with crap items.
March 22, 2013 01:04AM
You have the tags for that.

* Blog
* Google+
March 22, 2013 07:34AM
I know someone would say that, but I notice it goes wrong a lot and well I miss some kind of 'version control' on 'improved' items.
Example: [www.thingiverse.com]

When I click on the tag 'air' I get all kinds of weird stuff that I don't want to see.
When I click on the tag 'air' I expect to get everything in the context of the RepRap Air2 since thats from where I came.
Do you understand what I mean?

But hey, since I'm a new user to thingiverse, maybe it's just not that friendly to new users?

Anyway, I'm very excited to see your proposal! smiling smiley Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2013 07:36AM by Ohmarinus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login