Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

App-store-like "repository" (not for everyone!)

Posted by mehlmanmichael 
App-store-like "repository" (not for everyone!)
March 11, 2013 09:50PM
First of all, let me say that this will not be for everyone. I know there are many hardcore open source members here, and I respect that. That said, here's the deal:

www.grain3d.com is a website dedicated to bringing 3D printing to the average consumer. Average consumers don't know how to design in CAD, they don't know how to manipulate .stl files or generate gcode, and they don't know about temperatures, materials, printing speed. However, I think that they are the future with this technology. Grain 3D Ltd. Co. takes CAD files from designers like you all, and optimizes them for the most common, easiest to use printers out there. We charge a fee for our services, and the designer gets 70% commission on every sale. See [www.grain3d.com] for the idea behind this.

I know alot of you will be against this, but I think it can live in harmony with open source sites like thingiverse.

What I'm looking for is:
1) Designers (make money and accelerate the adoption of 3D printing!)!
2) People to verify gcode on their printers (grain only supports the Makerbot Rep1 and 3DSystems Cube right now)!
3) Consumers (doubt I'll find anyone to pay for gcode here, but it's worth a shot!)!

Take a look at the site, let me know what you think, and raise any questions you might have! Forgive me if I'm ever curt in my responses (I will try not to be!)!

Thank you all!

Mike Mehlman
Founder, Grain 3D Ltd. Co.
VDX
Re: App-store-like "repository" (not for everyone!)
March 12, 2013 03:18AM
... when comparing to itunes or common music download services, this should be a good start.

The interesting part is the price-development and acceptance of such services in the next two years grinning smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 12, 2013 10:32AM
Hi Viktor,

I agree, this should be a very interesting time! I will definitely keep you all updated. If you can think of any designs you'd like to host, please let me know!

Mike
May 14, 2013 08:46PM
Hello all!

It's been a while but I'm back and excited to do some market validation:

Free $5 coupon valid for use on anything at grain3d.com for filling out this short survey:

[goo.gl]
May 23, 2013 07:48AM
If we dont like it are we going against your grain or are you going against ours?

Anyway, i dont see how this will work. I mean programs like cura is already basically .stl in, click prepare, click print. It looks like a model store is more likely.

Most of my stuff is GPL, for the record. To abide by the license you need to make the source(preferred format of editing) available and it has to stay GPL. To be specific i refer you to the license itself of course. I feel kindah dubious about people selling my stuff like that, maybe i should switch to CC-by-sa.(should look up what the share-alike terms are like more exactly) (Of course the licenses out there now what they are.)
May 23, 2013 11:22PM
Hahaha

Yes the idea is to be a model store; however the gcode thing is my vision of how you'll get the first wave of customers after the early adopters. We shall see! Eventually, I think some standardization will occur and maybe models will be sold as neither .STL or gcode (who knows).

Let me know if you're interested ([email protected])!

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login