Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CreateThis.com - A MarketPlace to buy and sell 3d models for 3d printing!

Posted by Trevarthan 
CreateThis.com - A MarketPlace to buy and sell 3d models for 3d printing!
June 12, 2013 08:07PM
I spent many long hours over the last few months getting this site to Beta status: http://www.createthis.com/sell

Kind of like Etsy, for 3d printable models. Kind of like Thingiverse, except I'd prefer to have mostly paid models on the site. Kind of like iStockPhoto, but with 3d models.

I don't even know if there is a need for a site like this yet, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. Check out the Arduino Nano Case I designed from scratch with a caliper and OpenSCAD: http://createthis.com/products/create-this-arduino-nano-enclosure-3d-printed

Also, check out the replacement knob for the heater console of my car: http://createthis.com/products/impala-heater-knob

These are just some examples of the kinds of objects I'd like to feature on Create This. We pay 70% royalties. That's much better than most 3d model warehouses. Check out our sell page today and remember, Create This!

--
Jesse
CreateThis.com
If your target is the final consumer, the prices are an order of magnitude too high. Remember that the consumer has to spend extra time and effort, materials and electricity to obtain the final product.
Also, in order to grow as a store, you should accept and offer free objects. Charging for a product should be the decision of the designer. You will ALWAYS have to compete vs free repositories, so it's better if you keep visitors in the same site. Very simple products should be free, and only very complex or with high artistic value or with large R&D could charge a fee.
Re: CreateThis.com - A MarketPlace to buy and sell 3d models for 3d printing!
July 22, 2013 02:13PM
Thanks for your interest. We do offer free products. The price is completely the decision of the designer. We are merely a market connecting designer and customer. The only pricing limitation we impose is that we require $1.49 minimum price for non-free items. This is just to cover our costs.
November 05, 2013 10:46AM
Hello 3dsavvy.

Constructive criticism : It is considered rude in those forums to hijack an existing thread to talk about something different. Especially for selling something.

I suggest you create your own topic in the "for sale" sections. Your misplaced posts will get deleted sooner or later.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
November 05, 2013 09:18PM
Great, a cybersquatter.
January 11, 2014 01:01AM
These marketplaces are a great idea... I need to have a double-DIN radio cover printed, because there is none available for my car.

3D Printing Blog: [www.absplastic.eu] - The Future, The Possibilities
January 11, 2014 08:28AM
just a curious question, what happens if an open sourced cad model designed by me is uploaded onto this website by somebody else?
January 20, 2014 04:40AM
I agree with Pablo. I think that you should have pricing guides, and move your minimum to $0.49.

For example, the impala heating knob is $10 or $30 if you want it in an easier to change format.

My suggestions:
  1. Lower your prices.
  2. Have guidelines for your artists.
  3. Review the artist's pricing, and refuse it if too high.
  4. Have a web front end to OpenSCAD like Thingaverse. Charge a very small amount for its use.
  5. If an item it's selling,talk with the artist. It may cost too much.

Frankly, I will avoid this site for now. If, later, I see a review from a reputable source, I may try again. Right now my impression is that the cost is too high for what is free elsewhere.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
February 04, 2014 01:08AM
There are free sites out there, if you want people to buy you need to charge less and make sure the objects are clean and print properly. Thingiverse is getting bloated and full of garbage objects that won't print properly. You mentioned stock photos, well those are for companies (I contribute to 5 stock sites and have for 6 years now) prices are often $1 for web size images, this is what non industry people buy to make personal sites and for blogs and such. I can tell you for fact that the $1 images outsell all others 60:1.

If you are very serious, think Apples App store. Most games and apps are $0.99 while more valuable ones are $2-$9 with only business software going higher.

Your leaf earring for example should be like $1 while the much more useful and complex Arduino Nano Pololu could be $3. And the thumb print thing $69?!?!? really? I don't think I would buy that for $1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login