Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3Dify.org

Posted by Kryptonit3 
3Dify.org
March 06, 2014 01:45AM
Well, here goes...

I created 3Dify.org as a non-profit site for the reprap community to have a 'non-associated' dedicated site where they could host their 3D printable works of art.
It will be clean, simple and yet maintain a lot of the advanced features you find on other sites such as Thingiverse like 'Likes', 'Comments' etc.

It will be home to hosted objects only. It will not 'link' out to 3rd party sites. I would eventually like the site to partner and be recognized as the RepRap community 'Go-To'.

Would love for it to be a community driven and built site. Have PHP skills? Familiar with Laravel and MVC structuring of site code? Send me a message. Be part of the project.

As of right now it is just me. I am a contract cable technician with a strong passion for web design and web development.
For those that have knowledge of contract technicians, you know we work six days a week, 7am - 6ish:pm most days. I try to code and add features in between jobs,
and hours after I get off work.

I know a lot of the issues with all the 3D hosted sites on the net at the moment is categorization/tagging and searching. If the creator didn't categorize their object properly
and/or failed to add tags or add descriptive tags it is hard to find what you are looking for. So one feature that is on the list is community suggested tags and re-categorization
that will send a message/email to the creator that the community has suggestions to improve their object listing.

I am also very proficient at web SEO (search engine optimization) so major search engines will index the objects proficiently, thus bringing in more organic traffic and possibly
new members to the reprap community.

I am very open to suggestions, comments, questions.

The site is in early development at the moment. We can do anything. All that is required is creativity and a community that is willing to participate.

P.S. - I am not the best at 'showing off' so if this post has omitted information you were looking for please comment below and I will get back when time permits.

- Jesse Szypulski
(worn out cable tech haha)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 03:54AM by Kryptonit3.

3Dify.org - Host an collaborate on your 3D projects!
Re: 3Dify.org
March 06, 2014 08:43PM
Getting there. Slowly but surely. smiling smiley

File security, site security, code security, and user interaction are my main focus.
So forgive me if it takes time to make it as secure and enjoyable as possible.

3Dify.org - Host an collaborate on your 3D projects!
A2
March 07, 2014 01:29AM
Awesome!

When do you think we can begin up loading objects. grinning smiley

3dify
[3dify.org]
March 08, 2014 12:00AM
I'd love to tell you 'within a week' but that would not be true. I really want to have a BETA up and running within a month (possibly 2 months). It all depends on how much time I can get in everyday to work on it. I will continue to post updates here. Keeping my fingers crossed for BETA within the next month or two. smiling smiley

I may also do a soft 'beta' opening in a few weeks if anyone (few people) are interested in being the first in the door to test it out, see what you like, dislike and see if stuff works/doesnt work etc before the BETA is made live to the public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 12:01AM by Kryptonit3.
A2
March 08, 2014 12:53AM
Looking forward to the beta. thumbs up

I hope some one with web experience can help you with the programming.

Who is paying to keep the lights on?
Is there free hosting for non-profit websites?
March 08, 2014 01:20PM
No, I pay out of pocket. I run a few other sites that are on different servers but the same data center. The price is negligible.
A2
March 08, 2014 03:33PM
Google for nonprofits
[www.google.com]
March 08, 2014 04:19PM
I don't think a site of our nature would classify for 501c3 status, thus not be eligible for those products. Web hosting is cheap now a days so it is not an issue. The only reason it would make sense to get 501c3 status would be for tax exemption, and as our site will not be accepting donations or selling services this will not benefit us. It will be non profit, but not in that fashion. I appreciate the thought though.
March 09, 2014 09:54PM
Licensing - What should the default licensing be? It can always be changed per object (as pictured below) but the profile default will be selected by default (which can also be changed). So I guess what should be the default for new accounts? I am leaning towards the one pictured below. smiling smiley

Available Licenses

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 10:00PM by Kryptonit3.
A2
March 09, 2014 10:21PM
For the default setting: Share alike:
To encourage new job creation, I would like to grant full privileges to,
e.g. mom and pop start up business to use the art, and method for profit, or any in manner they see fit, less attribution.

I would like for any person, or business to be able to use the designs, and methods of manufacturing with no restrictions,
less one, attribution must be provided to the object repository and to the author of the art.
It might be difficult to find the originating author that only uses a nondescript username, but the hosting repository should be easy to locate.

It looks like you need to another option for this type of licensing?

I'm curious as to what other people think.
March 09, 2014 10:25PM
So by default it is a good idea to allow others to profit off the idea if they see fit? Doesn't matter to me, like I said, it is editable. What other license(s) would you propose?

I would assume that would be 'Creative Commons - Attribute - Share Alike', which is exactly what you described. (doesn't have non-commercial which is what blocks others from making profit).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 10:26PM by Kryptonit3.
A2
March 10, 2014 12:32AM
Kryptonit3
So by default it is a good idea to allow others to profit off the idea if they see fit?

Defaulting the licencing agreement with maximum user freedom, I think is an assumption that most people hope for.

If you lock the design down, and the OP is lax, or in most cases unknowledgeable about licencing, then you spoil the fun.

I still don't know all the details about CC licensing, and I wish that it would default to maximum use.

If some one is serious about protecting their idea, then they are naturally motivated to take the "extra effort" to change the licencing.

Don't force the average contributor to use "extra effort" to make their contribution easier for all to enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2014 02:46AM by A2.
March 10, 2014 12:37AM
So default Creative Commons - Attribute - Share Alike

which I just checked is what TV uses for their default.
March 14, 2014 12:29AM
Almost done completely coding the object creation scripts.

----------------------------

Page load speeds - Extremely fast.
Page code security - iron clad.

-----------

a lot more to go. Just an update.

credit to object/author used for screenshot demo - [www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 12:30AM by Kryptonit3.
A2
March 14, 2014 11:00AM
Can any one down load a file without sighing up like TV?
March 14, 2014 11:03AM
Yes smiling smiley But you must signup to upload your objects.
March 17, 2014 10:10PM
In favor of secure input, and ease of readability for editing Markdown will be used for customizing your object descriptions. (Note: following screenshot is elongated to show demonstration)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 10:37PM by Kryptonit3.
March 17, 2014 10:52PM
Setting your objects Featured Image has never been easier.

credit to object/author used for screenshot - [www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 10:53PM by Kryptonit3.
March 18, 2014 07:38PM
Example of paginated content

Credit to the object/Authors used in example

[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
March 18, 2014 09:22PM
I do really love your idea as I've already been looking out for exactly that. In fact it's like some kind of dream, your project is even better than what i've hoped for (tagging, the looks, your attitude winking smiley ).
Unfortunately I can't really contribute (except for donating - which you don't accept atm - and expressing my respect and gratitude) with my set of skills but I will ask people who might.

The no-donations policy concerns me a little, as for one I think your project is ambitious and will eventually cost a lot of money to maintain (although I really have no clue on what webspace + traffic costs) and for another I think it's unfair to let individuals carry the weight alone. I don't really know if partnering up with reprap would provide any financial relief, but I found my concerns be reliefed, as the Mozilla Foundation apparantly grants funds to projects like the one you started (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/grants/). But that might be more interesting in later stages when financing really becomes an issue for you.

So keep up the good work, I really appreciate you tackle this.
March 19, 2014 09:50AM
Very awesome work so far. Looks like you are doing a great job.
March 19, 2014 09:54PM
I appreciate your appreciation. Currently everything is cheap and I have no problem footing the bill, if it takes off and needs to scale in the future then we will tackle that when the time comes.

Here is a demo of the Responsive design so it works well on all screen sizes. Also demo of 'Like' feature.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login