Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sculptures of Great Renown

Posted by Buback 
Sculptures of Great Renown
August 24, 2011 04:17PM
We really need a compilation of free 3d models of great sculptures.
Here's my short list, if anybody has the equipment and access:

The Thinker
The Venus de Milo
Michaelangleo's David
(though not a very friendly liscense)

it's probably easiest to get around restrictive liscenses by using pictures and trying to recreate the models with something like photosynth or another such program.

if you find somethig or post it on thingiverse, list it here!
Re: Sculptures of Great Renown
December 13, 2011 09:58AM
Soppho's Head:

[www.thingiverse.com]
December 21, 2011 10:00AM
VDX
March 31, 2012 09:28AM
... I have nearly all 3D-figurines of "Asterix and Obelix", that were available in the last thirty years - the small tin-figures from "Hobby-products" (until 1986) with 30mm height, the coloured Mini-Pix (made from tin too, until recently) with 20mm height, the Plastoy (elastic resin) with 40-50mm height and the medium hard-resin figures from Atlas with 120mm height.

This should be a gigantic fundus for historical figures grinning smiley

In the next weeks I hope to get a dental scanner ... modifyed for a bigger scanning volume (fitting for the figures) it should have scanning accuracies with 0.02 to 0.05mm ... I'll see ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
VDX
April 12, 2012 04:55PM
... I've received the scanner - see the attached immages in this post: [forums.reprap.org]

In the next days I'll test/learn the software and try to reconfigure the optics for bigger scanning volumina ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

VDX
April 17, 2012 05:25AM
... here is a photo and a scan of a small tin figure (height 24mm, head diameter 5mm) with reduced point count for better visible details.

Actually I'm searching a program to generate manifold surfaces from the point-clouds ...

Viktor
--------

Attachments:
open | download - Display_dots2_kl.JPG (72.8 KB)
open | download - snapshot_VRmC-3_001871_2012-04-14_21-39-42.png (309.2 KB)
VDX
September 27, 2012 03:32AM
... in the neighbour-thread I've posted my first results with SL-scanning: [forums.reprap.org]

The scanned figure is one of a series of 70 from Atlas, that are really well designed from the A&O-comics.

I think, scanning them and distributing the STL-files can cause some problems with copyrights - has someone informations regarding the handling of IP's with 3D-scans of commonly available sculptures?

Viktor
--------

October 10, 2012 05:39PM
Fallen Caryatid Carrying Her Stone

I'd kill for a scan. Trying to get one before Christmas. Present for my father.

-Tom
VDX
October 11, 2012 02:16AM
... where are you located?

Viktor
--------

October 11, 2012 03:43AM
Hey VDX!

Located in the states on the outskirts of DC.

-Tom
VDX
October 11, 2012 03:57AM
... I'm in Germany, so shipping is no valid option - otherwise scanning won't be a problem ...

Another possibility is posing the model of a woman and add the cloths and stone, so it would look similar. I've made this some time back in 3DSMax for Yoda with gravity-simulating the folds of his coat:

... and milled him in different sizes and materials:

Viktor
--------

Attachments:
open | download - Yoda_render.jpg (21.3 KB)
open | download - Yoda-klein-gross.jpg (92 KB)
October 11, 2012 08:22AM
Awesome! That looks really good.

I've done some simple things in Sketchup, but never worked with something as professional as 3DSMax. That is a good tip though and I appreciate the advice. If I'm able to make something worthwhile you'll see it posted here.

-Tom
VDX
October 11, 2012 09:27AM
... for posing human models you can find some free CAD-programs or tools ...

Try to find a valid download of Caligari's Truespace - after Microsoft purchased Caligari, the (previous comercial program) was some years available for free ... I have the downloads somewhere, but it's some hundred MB's with all tutorials and drivers.

From old CG-magazines I've got the program Poser as free addon with some models ...

Or download the actual DAZ Studio 4.5 and/or Hexagon 2.5 for free: [www.daz3d.com]

Viktor
--------

VDX
November 15, 2012 05:13AM
... made some tests with old/salvaged DLP-beamers scanning figures or needed parts - [forums.reprap.org]

Here the scan of a 10cm tall figure of Miraculix (the famous wizard in A&O):

This was a first test, so not cleaned/optimized, but with optimizing the surface finish and dimensional accuracy is much better, than with other scanning methodes.

I have 68 other figures from this series and some hundreds more (smaller) from other vendors and series ... and my wife has a fair amount of the smurfs, so a real big fundus of interesting figures grinning smiley

Has anyone insights in licencing and copyright issues with scanned 3D-data of IP-ed figures?

Viktor
--------

Attachments:
open | download - Miraculix-fused.jpg (158.9 KB)
November 22, 2012 07:21AM
These sculptures are of great interest for all of us in this world.
VDX
November 22, 2012 10:05AM
... but how distribute the 3D-data without IP-/infringements confused smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login