Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article for Magazine Issue 4 - Practical 3D printing

Posted by richrap 
Article for Magazine Issue 4 - Practical 3D printing
December 03, 2013 08:17AM
Hello everyone, I'm planning an article on real-world and practical 3D printing for the RepRapMagazine, if you have any examples of things you have done to assist you in your daily lives or for someone else. especially if the object you made was custom or specifically designed where an equivalent from a shop was not suitable for whatever reason. - We plan to feature as many as possible in a future issue (hopefully Issue 4) of the RepRap Magazine.

Many thanks.

As an example, I made these in the summer -

3D printer post toppers (because I could not buy ones of that size) and 3D printed 20MPH Road Signs (Again, could not buy a rigid one the correct size, and I didn't want just a sticker).

Cheers,

Rich.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Re: Article for Magazine Issue 4 - Practical 3D printing
December 03, 2013 01:37PM
Not sure if this is exactly what you want.. But here goes anyway.

Object 1
Pliers rack. Just got the idea a few days ago, I finally got sick enough of the pliers pile to do something about it. 20 minutes in Sketchup. 2 hours printing. Job done.
A very welcome change from the jumbled pile of pliers and cutters on my workbench. The blue part is 3D printed, the base is an old 5.25 floppy disk box. And the bars are M8 rod. Simple but effective, and expandable as the pliers breed. I intend to add a few screwdriver racks on the sides at some point.

Object 2
PCB vice. My most complex thing so far. And incredibly useful. Especially a few weeks ago, when I had 99 LEDs to solder into a lump of Vero board for a UV light panel. Made the job much easier.
The little clip on clip is incredibly useful for holding wires in place to solder, or just holding them so I can tin them easily.
Not the most elegant design, but I was still getting used to the structural properties of printed parts. MK 2 will be prettier.

If you want better pictures, or the STL files for these. you need only ask.
Attachments:
open | download - Pliers rack ortho.jpg (152 KB)
open | download - PCB vice1.jpg (203.9 KB)
open | download - Pliers rack side view.jpg (71.4 KB)
open | download - Wire tinning clip.jpg (34.7 KB)
December 03, 2013 05:44PM
Here are quite a few nice examples, this seems to be a presentation of some kind:

[softsolder.files.wordpress.com]
December 04, 2013 11:14AM
I once made (for someone else) a replacement part for an ikea wardrobe.

The original part broke and was no longer produced.

[www.thingiverse.com]

MP me if you need higher res pictures for the magazine.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
December 04, 2013 12:07PM
Thanks everyone! - that's all perfect and exactly the sort of thing I was after.

Now I have some printers, I try to apply 3D printing to any problem or opportunity around the home.

Please keep on adding and by all means think up a few new things if you wish.

Cheers,

Rich.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2013 05:53PM
Hi Rich,

We have this on our workshop - [www.thingiverse.com]

Best wishes
Sally
December 09, 2013 01:42PM
I did made this replacement part for a sliding door of a wardrobe my parents have. My dad asked me to made him one because the original was broken. It holds a littlle nylon bearing on which the door slides. I first meassured the original with my callipers and then draw it mostly in 123d design app on my Ipad and later finished in the pc version. It probably would have been quicker in a pc cad program but I just love to do cad on the go with my ipad, especcially the design are rather simple. After that I printed it first as a prototype with my printer and as it came out right I ordered a stringer version at sculpteo. (The original is nylon and I might try it later to print in nylon my own). However something went wrong and it missed a little notch which serves as the half of the axle. I justed drilled a hole through it and fixed it with a little bolt. Voila, it worked and because the part wasn't available with the manufactor this was a good
http://123dapp.com/smb-123D_Design/replacement-part-for-sliding-door/1470553
December 10, 2013 09:24AM
December 16, 2013 01:10PM
Some of my creations. Some items could have been bought, or at least would have cost less than the effort that went in to make them, but the learning experience was fun!

Bobbin holder that turns a regular pen barrel into a wiring/soldering tool (or for re-winding motors!):

Tidying up the window blind cords for my toddler:

iPhone motion-timelapse rig (requires kitchen timer from 99p store):

Prevent garden canes from ever poking you in the eye again!:

Repaired an old tupperware box when the clip broke:

Stop my headphones from getting tangled in my bag:

Stuck on my wall, these modular holders keep my allen drivers tidy and off the mess that is my desk...(printed individually and fit together like jigsaws):

Keep my most often used hex bits together when I'm throwing them into my toolbox (in-built detent):

Don't forget whose glass is whose at xmas!:

Lost the hook from our baby buggy handle, so I printed another:

December 19, 2013 09:32AM
Hi Rich,
My build of the 3DR is about 90% complete.( All parts were done on my first Mendel printer)
I would like to show you my design for retaining the LU bearings to the Carriages, rather than using the tie wraps.
Please find enc. two pics, consisting of the spring clip and a pic. of the carriage and spring clip assy.
The spring clip utilizes the existing holes that were used for the tie wraps.(see two square lugs on pic)
To make sure the LU bearings are aligned satisfactory with the carriage I am locating the sides of the bearings on the
inside rads of the carriage arms thus maintaining these rads as master.
The bearings are held in place vertically in the assy by 4 tabs. Two tabs which have a large overhang at one end and two tabs which have only
about 1mm overhang at the other end.(this difference in overhang helps with the initial assy.)
I have run the m/c and all seems well ie the clips are standing up to all x,y, and z movement.
I would appreciate your comments on the above and as soon as I have completed my 3DR I will send you a video.

Regards
Terry Peake
3DCad Lecturer FE College
Attachments:
open | download - LU retainerMod4.jpg (173.1 KB)
open | download - LU Brkt assy.jpg (133.7 KB)
December 23, 2013 03:13AM
I remember seeing this youtube video of a dad making a prosthetic hand for his kid.
December 23, 2013 03:16AM
here's the link: [www.dailymail.co.uk]
February 19, 2014 09:21PM
If not closed, I have a couple of stupid things I've made:
Replacement plug for Dirt Devil Rug Cleaner - [www.thingiverse.com]
Cord Keeper for Skylanders Portal - [www.thingiverse.com]
Projector Screen Mount - [www.thingiverse.com]
(That's so you can put a real projector "on top" of the wimpy conference room box screens)

Practical solutions for problems. Now that I have a 3D printer, everything looks like it has a practical solution. It just takes a lot of time to draw it.
February 21, 2014 12:45AM
stroller wheelhttp://www.thingiverse.com/thing:69378
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login