Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

feature request

Posted by appjaws1 
feature request
April 20, 2016 02:59AM
The number of time I press F6 (render) instead of F5 (preview) is driving me mad, I just have to sit there and wait for a full render to complete.

Would it be possible to have one of the following?
1. A cancel render button
2. A "are you sure you want to render" button
3. Assign a different F key that is not next to F5

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Re: feature request
April 20, 2016 06:47AM
When I had a similar problem with a completely different software (the button for "discard changes" was next to button for "save changes"), my solution was to remove the offending button from the keyboard (they just pull off). You can still press the removed key using your little finger when needed, and of course just replace the button after you have finished using OpenScad.

Dave
April 20, 2016 07:26AM
I don't have any problems, maybe you are using the wrong keyboard:

grinning smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 20, 2016 08:16AM
Keyboards are getting smaller all the time, I didn't have a problem when I used a full size keyboard, but now I have to use a smaller one and the number of times I accidentaly hit the wrong key£$%l; smiling smiley

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 20, 2016 11:52AM
Why don't you just use the menu "Design" instead of the function key - maybe with the mouse it's easier for you to hit the right spot?
April 20, 2016 12:00PM
appjaws1
The number of time I press F6 (render) instead of F5 (preview) is driving me mad, I just have to sit there and wait for a full render to complete.

At the bottom, to the right of the progress bar, there is a red X showing during the render, hit that and it stops rendering. It doesn't stop it instantly.
April 20, 2016 12:09PM
stephenrc
appjaws1

At the bottom, to the right of the progress bar, there is a red X showing during the render, hit that and it stops rendering. It doesn't stop it instantly.

Thanks, hadn't noticed that before.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 23, 2016 10:24AM
I am also forced to use the red -x- often due to thick fingers :-(

So yes, the confirmation popup for rendering would be nice !

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
June 28, 2016 05:13AM
One can cancel a rendering process by quitting Openscad, this is instantanly, very quicker than "red -x" button. (Quitting with close button in windows bar.) No need for a confirmation dialog before rendering, which should be really annoying for me…

François
June 28, 2016 02:01PM
François Delègue
One can cancel a rendering process by quitting Openscad, this is instantanly, very quicker than "red -x" button. (Quitting with close button in windows bar.) No need for a confirmation dialog before rendering, which should be really annoying for me…

The problem with that is that the render then starts from scratch, which with some models can take considerably longer than when it already has pre-computed a lot of the code.

Dave
July 07, 2016 02:02PM
So... the request would be to build a configurable confirmation popup ;-)

Yes for me and the TS, not for the rest smileys with beer

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login