Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is openscad being maintained/improved?

Posted by appjaws1 
Is openscad being maintained/improved?
May 15, 2017 12:21PM
It seems a long time since openscad was last released.
Is it still active?
How do we ask for improvements?
I use openscad all the time and at my age would not want to have to learn a different way of designing parts.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Re: Is openscad being maintained/improved?
May 16, 2017 01:07AM
The project is alive and kicking: [github.com]
We release development snapshots regularly, but stable releases are quite a bit farther between.
Join the mailing list/forum or post github issues for bugs: [www.openscad.org]

Note: We don't have any funding so development is done by a few people on our spare time. The best way of getting improvements is to write code smiling smiley

-Marius
May 16, 2017 11:41AM
You would not need to learn a new method even if it were not being maintained. Software does not stop working just because nobody is working on it. At worst it will not work after you upgrade to a new OS - but you can keep your old OS as a secondary system just to run such programs.

Dave
May 19, 2017 12:46AM
I have the same opinion as the TS: To old to start a new language.
So great that it is still alive. Unfortunately, I am not capable to enhance thismyself.
But my contribution can be in the ideas for evolution :-)

So this would be my shortlist:

1) Export models as .STP
2) Run the rendering (f5 / f6) in the GPU's of the graphic environment if present
3) Autodetect looping (unlimitted calling of calling module itself )in code (f.i. by predefined variable)
4) Bend something by a radius over a positioned axle

not so much eh? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
May 19, 2017 07:22AM
I absolutely agree about having more export options. I often design parts for injection moulding and would love to be able to use OpenScad to do so, but unfortunately the company that does the tooling does not accept STL files (which is 100% understandable because STL files do not contain accurate curves).

You could write a module to implement the function of bending over a positioned axle.

Dave
May 22, 2017 07:48PM
It is possible to save the design as step file using freecad.
Install openscad as plugin in freecad. open your .scad design in freecad and then export as step file. Works great.
May 28, 2017 11:58PM
wingmaster
It is possible to save the design as step file using freecad.
Install openscad as plugin in freecad. open your .scad design in freecad and then export as step file. Works great.

Yes, I now do this, when I need a professional manufactorer produce my design, however:

sometimes 2 added objects (in Openscad) show up in FreeCad as 2 objects, insteead as one that is merged.
This gives discusion with manufactorer in th eprocess.

Thomas

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
May 28, 2017 11:59PM
dmould
I absolutely agree about having more export options. I often design parts for injection moulding and would love to be able to use OpenScad to do so, but unfortunately the company that does the tooling does not accept STL files (which is 100% understandable because STL files do not contain accurate curves).

You could write a module to implement the function of bending over a positioned axle.

Dave

Unfortunately, my programming skills are not on the level of writing this function.
I hope that more people would like this and that one volunteer arises :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login