Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone else in ottawa/gatineau planning on building a RepRap?

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Anyone else in ottawa/gatineau planning on building a RepRap?
November 07, 2007 01:18AM
Hello all!

I'm one of the developers and I'm looking for other people in Ottawa also building RepRaps.
Re: Anyone else in ottawa/gatineau planning on building a RepRap?
November 10, 2007 12:49PM
I'm not exactly in Ottawa, but instead 1.5 hours south. And yes, I plan to build a reprap.
Hi. I'm in Ottawa. I am not planning to build anything as yet. (I have a two year old, and I have a model railroad in the works). I would be interested in helping,
and I would be interesting in using a reprap to build various N-scale components in the future. I don't know if I met you (Sebastien) at the gaggle, (GOSLING).
Either way, I'd like to introduce the OCLUG and CLO (Linux users in gatineau) to
the concepts, etc. Maybe, Russ would be willing to come up and show his, or show
us some of the parts.

I have been meaning to download the Linux design code and play with it, and perhaps see if I can fix some bugs, but I don't have time (cf: 2 year old).

(Russ Nelson... My bet is that you will use a RepRap to build yourself a vintage NE1000 NIC card, so that you can reuse some of your old DOS code...)
November 20, 2007 03:25AM
I've attended one gaggle, and will try to make one of the next ones.

I'd be quite up for doing a demo for OCLUG and CLO. Russ, would you like to come up and bring your machine as well?
November 20, 2007 02:17PM
"machine"? You mean "pile of parts" and "lots of ideas".
Anyone else in the Ottawa area still building their RepRaps?
August 14, 2009 08:56AM
I am looking for printed parts in Canada. Anyone can sell me printed parts ?
I'm am looking to build a reprap. Is there anyone in Ontario, Canada who has the parts?

Thanks.
I live in downtown Ottawa and have most of my components on order. Is anyone in the area able to sell me a set of printed parts?
October 05, 2009 02:33PM
A friend and I are going to be building one? Where did you get your parts and how much did it cost? Any help would be appreciated? Where do we start?
November 10, 2009 10:12AM
Hey Everyone,

Sebastien's determined to recruit my MakerBot to the birthing process!

I'll start going through the motions of printing Mendel parts, see what needs to be tweaked for my 'bot and materials at hand - just black or white ABS at the moment. I have a second extruder I need to assemble to handle HDPE; I prefer swapping extruders over mixing materials.

Since the bulk filament is purchased by weight, I'll weigh the useable parts to figure out some base costs. Once I have a set of consistent "recipe" gcode files, all I have to do is click "Build" and let it do its thing while I do other stuff; it takes power, time and supervision, but I'm not about to charge what I make per-hour at my day job. winking smiley

Andrew.

--

"The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson
November 10, 2009 08:41PM
Thanks for the reply and the information. When you have the cost of the printed parts, please let me know as I am interested in a set of printed parts.

Would you be interested in showing your RepRap once it has been completed or do a demonstration as a group. Would very much like to see a working one. If I need assistance would you be willing to help as well? New at this and could use all the help. Please let me know. Still trying to figure out what to do first....could use input.

Thank you,

Tania
swiftier1@yahoo.com
November 11, 2009 12:32AM
Hey Tania,

My MakerBot's already fully operational. I took it out for its first public appearance at the Ottawa Robotics meeting on Monday.

My wiki page for MakerBot Number Nine

My flickr set of related photos

Andrew.

--

"The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson
November 15, 2009 11:36AM
Hey all!

I'm in the middle of lining up space for a weekly Friday 4-8 RepRap meetup at Carleton. We may be meeting there on Saturday afternoon-evenings as well.

I'll post details once I've lined things up.
November 16, 2009 02:35PM
Hi!

Thanks for the links to the site and photos. I am sure the robotics convention was a success. Look forward to seeing it live at CU meet up to be held soon.

Tania
I live in Kitchener, Ontario and am waiting to build or buy a kit of the Mendel 3d printer in the summer of 2010. Would love to colaborate with others in the area. Anyone else want to work together?
December 07, 2009 01:06AM
The live meetup at CU is currently stalled due to intransigent politics and logistics. Meetups will probably take place at my house, at artengine.ca, and www.ottawarobotics.org meetings at Algonquin.

I'll post more details as they arise.
Let me know when the meetings start via email.

taniaholyer@rogers.com

Looking forward to meetign with everyone.

Tania
December 08, 2009 02:05PM
DMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Kitchener, Ontario and am waiting to
> build or buy a kit of the Mendel 3d printer in the
> summer of 2010. Would love to colaborate with
> others in the area. Anyone else want to work
> together?

Hi DMan. While I live near Owen Sound, I work in Waterloo. I'm interested in collaborating.
Hey guys,

Are there still plans to have regular rep-rap meetings in Ottawa?

I'm involved in Carleton's IEEE branch as well as Carleton's Robotics Club. Any Carleton club can book a room for free with about 1 week of notice so that should be easy. If you would like to startup regular meetings I can get you in touch with the right people here are Carleton. If there is enough interest within the club, it will be a great partnership. They have the added advantage of being able to get funding for stuff like this.

I'm looking to build one for myself, but I'm still researching a bit more. My problem is the cost, I think I'll get one once it can build PCBs.

Send me an email because I might forget to check back here.

Laxman
February 26, 2010 04:15AM
Ottawa/Gatineau RUG will be at :

March 13 - Art Engine, dowtown
[hackerspaces.org]

March 9 - Algonquin College
[www.ottawarobotics.org]

Regarding Carleton, Engineers Without Borders has a makerbot:
[www.ottawa.ewb.ca]

I'm going to try to bootstrap an RepRap<->global EWB connection soon, but I need to get my machine working first.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 15, 2010 04:27PM
Hope the RUG went well Sebastien, I'll probably be moving back to Ottawa next month and pending that I hope to make it to the next RUG so I figured I'd post to say hey to the Ottawa peoples!

A little intro: U of O Comp. Eng student, built a RepRap Mendel at Hacklab.to (shameless plug: it's an awesome place with awesome people - go there now!), some how ended up on the RepRap core team, personality wise I likes pizza and miss the many awesome Ottawa Shawarmas smiling smiley

On a side note I see allot of people looking for RepRap parts here and Sebastien building one but does anyone have one working?

My Mendel is still sorta half-fubar (it prints PLA parts, but strength + accuracy is low) but that's mostly a story of the painful skeinforge learning curve/lack of a bowden extruder.

# all that to say 'hello world', FORUM is way to verbose a programming language if you ask me tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 04:28PM by theOtherRob.
Problems Running Huxley with Win7
January 27, 2011 03:34PM
Has anybody else had problems getting their Huxley printer going using Win7 and Repsnapper?
August 10, 2011 06:08AM
I'm going to build a version of the Rep Rap and mechanically no problem. However I have some second-hand Stepper Motors I want to use that are a bit bigger than the usual Rep Rap ones and thus may need larger driver/controllers. The motors are Superior Electric Slo-Syn type M091-FD03, 1.6 amps, 5.3 VDC, 200 steps/rev. Can anyone give advice on drivers? BTW, are there any meetings planned for Aug or Sep 11 in Ottawa?
September 08, 2011 07:44PM
I live in the outskirts of Ottawa (Almonte, yes there is life beyond Kanata!) I just started collecting ordering parts for a Prusa Mendel. I've got the plastic in and the stepper motors. Being the impatient sort, I went and bought 5/16 threaded and smooth rods to assemble it while waiting for all the metric stuff to come in. Just had to see what it would look like. So far I'm in love with it.

The electronics seem to be the hardest thing to settle on design and revision. I like the idea of using an SD card to host the build files in. I like the Sanguino models of boards. Unfortunately, none of the Sanguino versions seem to have SD built in as yet. Anyone out there know of a Sanguino version coming out with SD?

Thanks,
Mike
I have ordered the plastic parts, but nothing else yet to start a SAE Mendel. I live about 45 minutes east of downtown Ottawa (just past Russel) and was wondering if there is a RepRap meeting grounds (group) in the Ottawa area. I saw posted above about the possibility of a group meeting at Carlton U, is that still happening?

- Melvin
Hello everyone,

I live in Ottawa, I'm new to 3D printing but I'm enthusiastic about making my own Prusa Mendel, however I'm not native to Ottawa I've been here 5 years now and the best electronic parts store I can find is Active Electronics... does anyone know where I can get a Prusa Mendel kit? or the parts so that I can build my own?

I'd be forever grateful!!

thanks in advanced!
February 28, 2012 04:18PM
Mail order is likely your best bet, although you may be able to use the local hackerspace's Makerbot to print the plastic possibly? (http://artengine.ca/)

There are a few 3D printers lurking around Ottawa, although I guess they don't frequent these boards. Your best bet is to get on the artengine/modlab email lists and contact everyone directly.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I guess I'll have to order online, the problem is everything is so expensive online... Toronto sells the Prusa mendel kit for over $600 bucks...
As a student I guess that's too much to spend on it....

Could anyone point me to a link where I can get the parts shipped to Ottawa, Ontario Canada for less? I checked out the links on rep rap wiki, but importing fees are off charts...

Thanks everyone for helping out a fellow enthusiast
April 11, 2012 08:46PM
The real way to save money is by sourcing it all yourself. Ottawa Fasteners in town has all the metric M3/M8 parts that you need, you just need to put together a shopping list and spend some time in the store picking up the goodies. You can save on the electronics by picking up the PrintrBoard instead of RAMPs + Arduino, or really save by sourcing everything from scratch and building it yourself. Not sure whether you are handy with soldering or not though. The plastic bits can likely be sourced right in Ottawa if you throw a post up on the ArtEngine or even Ottawa Robotics list.

Another alternative is to take a chance on something like the Makibox which will likely ship in the next month or two. The price is significantly cheaper due to sourcing and manufacturing in China, but the design is unproven at this point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login