Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Logged, not logged

Posted by kitep 
Logged, not logged
December 12, 2009 01:35PM
When I go to the main forum page, it says I'm not logged in. But when I click on a forum (such as "general" or "reprappers"), it says I am logged in. What's happening?

It's not really a big deal, since it considers me logged in when I want to post, and shows me the new messages when I click on a forum. The only pain is that the main forum page doesn't list which ones have new messages, since it considers me not logged in.

I did try logging out and logging back in, several times. No change.
I use IE8 and WIN XP Home, if it matters.
Re: Logged, not logged
December 13, 2009 11:38AM
I see the same thing, regardless of what type of machine I'm on ( MAC or XP ), or what browser ( Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari, etc. ).

It seems to be a recurring issue for most, as it's been mentioned before.

Perhaps a Phorum bug that could be fixed through an update? (5.2.14 is now available)
December 13, 2009 03:18PM
Guess it's not a personal problem then. Thanks.
February 06, 2010 06:19PM
I just did the following:

1) Posted a Reply
2) Editted my message
3) Clicked the Update message button
4) After it redisplayed, clicked on - usually I just hit the button
5) Clicked on

Now the main forum page has me logged in again! It shows me which categories have new messages and how many. I think hitting the & buttons instead of the big back arrow in my top-left corner was the key. So if anyone else is still having this problem, they may want to try it smiling smiley

Edit; I closed my browser and did other things. When I came back, the main forum page was back to having me logged off. But picking a forum at random, then clicking the logged me back in on the main page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 10:39PM by kitep.
February 07, 2010 09:41AM
I have found that the difference is between [forums.reprap.org] and [dev.forums.reprap.org] clicking from the reprap.org website takes you to the first. When you click Login, it takes you to the second.
February 07, 2010 12:14PM
I think you're right. I tried going straight to dev.forums.reprap.org and it has me as logged in. Guess I'll add that link to my favorites bar. Thanks.
June 05, 2010 02:55AM
I suspect, but have not fully confirmed, that whatever sitename you use when you log in, that is the name set in your login cookie. After that, whenever you use that name for forum pages all is well, but when you use the other one, you appear to be logged out, because you have no logon cookie for *that* sitename.

I am old-fashioned and usually type forums.reprap.org into the browser address bar, "by hand", and log in. I seem to stay logged in for the duration of a web browser session if I do that (I'd probably stay logged in longer if I didn't clear all my cookies when I close the browser!).

I'd suggest everyone use forums.reprap.org, consistently, to access these forums. The dev. prefix was used back when this forum software was the experimental "development" set of forums. I'd forgotten it still existed!

We should probably edit any links on the wiki that still refer to dev.forums.reprap.org to use the shorter forums.reprap.org sitename.

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login