Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Outline for how "official" build instructions should be laid out

Posted by Buback 
Outline for how "official" build instructions should be laid out
February 18, 2011 12:48PM
it's hard getting people to add info when they don't have an outline to follow, so i started this topic in order to spur some discussion on what the outline should look like. We should get a rough outline up quickly, so that the newer models, huxley and Prusa, can start organizing the info. i doubt darwin will ever follow the format, but mendel should be easy enough. Going forward, i would hope to see some consistency.

I created a wiki page with a simple outline. feel free to add or make changes, and discuss/argue about it here or in the talk page.

[reprap.org]
Re: Outline for how "official" build instructions should be laid out
February 19, 2011 02:17AM
I'll take a look, thank you Buback.grinning smiley

I'm wondering if we may want to eventually push some of it into
http://reprap.org/wiki/Example, or,
more likely, include a mention to it on [[Example]] .

And, in the mid-future, we're moving from Mediawiki to Gitduino, which will make things fun. smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Re: Outline for how "official" build instructions should be laid out
February 24, 2011 01:21AM
Well what i put up is more of a table of contents for various sub-pages, similar to how the mendel instructions are laid out currently. I see the example page as being more for new upgrades/developments, and not particularly suitable for "official" build instructions.

I don't think the example page is really suitable for a Prusa X Axis page, for example. And, particularly for the "official" builds, i don't know if we need specific page mockups already made, like an x axis example page.

I suppose that all the instructions can be on a single page, as prusa mendel is now, but it is a bit of a waste of server resources to load all the pictures if i only need instructions on the x axis.

however, even if the instructions are on a single page, it should follow an outline, so that if/when the instructions get too complex for a single page, they can easily be broken up into sub-pages without risking a loss of coherency. I suppose in that case it would be similar to the current example page, but should remain distinct. so perhaps just a link to the outline form the example page?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login