Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nice new Index page

Posted by NormandC 
Nice new Index page
October 14, 2013 02:30PM
Hey, I just noticed today that the index page at [forums.reprap.org] has a new layout that's more in line with the rest of the forums. It's much nicer than the old blue one, I just thought I would say thanks for your work.
Re: Nice new Index page
October 14, 2013 04:56PM
I just love it!!
VDX
October 14, 2013 05:14PM
... we had this layout last year for a short period, but then several users voted for the 'old blue', so I've reset to the old style ... it's simply a checkbox in the forums-settings.

But now Markus set it again and the vote seems to be more 'green' spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 14, 2013 06:06PM
I've only ever seen green. It was a more compact view previously which I liked more but the color has not changed for me at all. Is it possibly an internet browser related issue with the color?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
VDX
October 14, 2013 06:15PM
... no, the main-forum was 'old-stylish' blue and the sub-forums 'emerald-green' - if you read only the RSS-feeds, then probably you won't see the blue style ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 15, 2013 06:28AM
I am very glad it's been changed. I asked about this a LONG time ago, and it was apparently broken and wouldn't work with the Emerald theme (as in, you could change it, but it stayed with the old default regardless).

Still wish that the page was set to a max width of 95-97% instead of 950 px max. On a large screen (eg: 1920x1200), you get a huge amount of white space. I personally prefer to use all my screen real-estate, so wrote a Greasemonkey script to override this. tongue sticking out smiley

FWIW: If someone does want to change this, you can either change the max-width variable in Phorum (not sure where that is), or you can edit the theme (which is in templates/emerald). In the file css.tpl, you need to change the highlighted part of the following section:

#phorum {
    font-family: {default_font};
    font-size: {base_font_size};
    color: {default_font_color};
    max-width: {max_width};
    margin: auto;
}

Via the Greasemonkey script, I change it to:
    max-width: 98%;

.. though you can use any percentage you like.

Edit:

Something else that would be interesting is to look into the Subforums module. Particularly, the way that the main index page should then be able to show the unread status of sub-forums. (eg: Seeing that there are unread messages in the Australia sub-forum for example, without having to go into it). See [www.phorum.org] for details.

Note: I am not sure that this would work without re-organisation of the current Phorum folder structure, so that needs to be considered (and tested).

Also the Ignore Forums module would be useful, so I won't see new messages in those forums that I don't want to monitor. See [www.phorum.org] for details.

Because I can't ignore certain forums that I've accidentally read in the past, and because on the front page I can't see what is unread in the sub-forums, I tend to have a bunch of tabs directly loaded for each forum or sub-forum I want to view, rather than reading more of the forum via the main index page.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 06:48AM by Cefiar.
October 15, 2013 08:19AM
Ah, a visual change and suddenly people wake up!

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 15, 2013 04:11PM
Well, to be fair I suggested the Ignore Forums module a long time ago a number of times and got ignored.

As for Subforums module, I also suggested that a long time ago, but because they couldn't change the main index theme, it was useless to push it further (it requires modifying the theme).
October 15, 2013 08:40PM
I contribute from one to 3 hours every night to an open source project and I know how thankless it can be. I figured the admins would welcome some appreciation from a regular user.

What I didn't expect was a snarky comment. Great way to get people on board, Traumflug! Godspeed!
October 16, 2013 08:33AM
Pardon. Wasn't meant to be snarky. More like the expression of joy to see people actually recognizing changes.

I guess I'll give the max-width a try later today. Not so sure about more extensions, the new posts counter is buggy already (it resets its self from time to time).

October 16, 2013 10:04AM
Perhaps you've seen it, I moved the Tissue Printing folder to Fabrication, making BioRepRap obsolete. I also joined the two folders about administration (which means to move every topic in one folder to the other, one by one :-) )

What next?

October 16, 2013 02:31PM
Sorted a few more directories (nothing got lost!) and set max-width to 100% (actually, the percentage apparently doesn't matter, 100% looks exactly like 90%). This makes the forum variable width. Let's see what people say.

October 17, 2013 04:27AM
I like the maxwidth, thanks. It sucked to only use an half of my screen's width (and why do they only make such wide screens nowadays anyway ?)

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 17, 2013 05:35AM
Very nice!!

3D Metal Printing and more - visit [www.metalbot.org] !
October 17, 2013 07:02AM

and why do they only make such wide screens nowadays anyway ?

To allow you to view more than one window at a time. I grew up with Macintoshes, which never had a "full screen" mode until recently, and I'm still amazed how many people still watch one window at a time, only. How do they copy text from one document to another? How do they compare two documents?

Same thing for the idea of turning off computers. No point doing it, there's a standby mode. Still many people judge operating systems by their boot time, which doesn't matter at all if you boot twice a year, only.

Ooops. Getting off topic here, I guess :-)

October 17, 2013 10:52AM
It's nothing to do with computers. They all went wide screen because the TV market went wide screen and it is a bigger market.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login