Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Links to open in a new tab

Posted by Hazel1919 
Links to open in a new tab
November 01, 2013 05:59AM
Hi everyone,

It is a small thing but important. Can someone change the settings so that when a user clickes on a link in a thread it takes them to a new 'tab' or window instead of taking the user off the site?

Best,

Jethro.

3D Metal Printing and more - visit [www.metalbot.org] !
Re: Links to open in a new tab
November 01, 2013 07:52AM
Hold down the ctrl-key while clicking the link.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 01, 2013 08:28AM
Cool, the only issue is that the vast majority of users don't know/don't care about doing that... so why not make it the default status?

November 01, 2013 11:08PM
Also, some people are using mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, Samsung etc.) where the Ctrl button is not on their keyboard.

Hazel1919 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool, the only issue is that the vast majority of
> users don't know/don't care about doing that... so
> why not make it the default status?
November 01, 2013 11:23PM
Then right click (or two finger click) and select open in new tab, it would really suck if it always opened in a new tab. I for one run the forum in a pinned tab and rarely open forum pages in a new tab.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
November 02, 2013 02:04AM
I think he's suggesting that links to sites outside the forum open in a new tab, not any/all links on the page.

While we could probably re-write the CSS to do it on any link, that's just a real hassle. I don't think there is any difference between internal and external links in the Phorum CSS, so this would mean it'd probably come down to a plugin.
November 02, 2013 04:21AM
Cefiar
I think he's suggesting that links to sites outside the forum open in a new tab, not any/all links on the page.

Your on the money! grinning smiley Of course the intention is to keep people from instantly wandering off of reprap.org as soon as they click an external link. Many times here I have caught my self opening a link to an external website only to close the tab and accedentaly leave reprap. This should be a pretty standard mod, I will have a look around google.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 04:24AM by Hazel1919.

November 02, 2013 12:59PM
Sorry I totally misunderstood.

Possible work around at least for Firefox users is to pin the tab (right click on the tab and select "pin tab"). This makes the tab small and stuck over to the left of all the other tabs. It does not let you leave the site you are on so it automatically opens outside links in a new tab.

EDIT:
There are also add-ons for Firefox at least that will always open outside links in new tabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 01:09PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
November 02, 2013 01:50PM

Good point!

Forum moderators: I've looked into the code and found three things:

1. There are settings for the bbcode module. This module apparently defines how links are converted to HTML. Likely they can be accessed on the page listing the modules, there's an "edit" link or something similar.

2. There's a setting "Add 'rel=nofollow' to links that are posted in your forum" with the following choices: 'No', 'Yes, always', 'Yes, to external urls and urls not defined below.'. I think the last of these three is the right one and http:/ /reprap.org, http:/ /www.reprap.org and http:/ /wiki.reprap.org should be in the list of exceptions. Currently, it's apparently set to 'Yes, always', which also applies to internal links and as such drastically lowers the forums' importance on Google searches.

3. There's also a setting "Open links in new window". This one has only yes/no and is off by default. Not sure wether this applies to both, internal and external links, but it might do exactly what we want. Can you please enable it? In case it doesn't work ideal, I can additionally tweak the sources (now that I found where to do this).

Happy clicking through the admin panel! For testing, here's a test message: [forums.reprap.org]

P.S.: the more I work with Phorum, the more I like it. Almost always I attempt to tweak something, I find it already coded, just not enabled. Its primitive appearance is quite a contrast to its feature-richness.

November 02, 2013 01:56PM
P.P.S.: another help message I found there:

"Enable BBcode [ quote ]", "If this feature is enabled, then quoting of messages is not done using the standard Phorum method (which resembles email message quoting), but using the BBcode module's quoting method instead. This means that the quoted text is placed within a
Author
bbcode block.

Two of the advantages of using this quote method is that the quoted message can be styles though CSS code and that no word wrapping is applied to the text.");

Does this sound like hitting the "reply" link would use proper quoting instead of what we have now?

VDX
November 02, 2013 05:23PM
Traumflug
P.P.S.: another help message I found there:

"Enable BBcode [ quote ]", "If this feature is enabled, then quoting of messages is not done using the standard Phorum method (which resembles email message quoting), but using the BBcode module's quoting method instead. This means that the quoted text is placed within a
Author
bbcode block.

Two of the advantages of using this quote method is that the quoted message can be styles though CSS code and that no word wrapping is applied to the text.");

Does this sound like hitting the "reply" link would use proper quoting instead of what we have now?

... I've changed the settings in the BBcode module - check it out ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 02, 2013 07:28PM
Traumflug
Cefiar

Good point!

Forum moderators: I've looked into the code and found three things:

1. There are settings for the bbcode module. This module apparently defines how links are converted to HTML. Likely they can be accessed on the page listing the modules, there's an "edit" link or something similar.

2. There's a setting "Add 'rel=nofollow' to links that are posted in your forum" with the following choices: 'No', 'Yes, always', 'Yes, to external urls and urls not defined below.'. I think the last of these three is the right one and http:/ /reprap.org, http:/ /www.reprap.org and http:/ /wiki.reprap.org should be in the list of exceptions. Currently, it's apparently set to 'Yes, always', which also applies to internal links and as such drastically lowers the forums' importance on Google searches.

Make sure forums.reprap.org is in there too, just in case it doesn't believe that it's an internal URL for whatever reason.

Q: Will this affect links in signatures by any chance?

Traumflug
3. There's also a setting "Open links in new window". This one has only yes/no and is off by default. Not sure wether this applies to both, internal and external links, but it might do exactly what we want. Can you please enable it? In case it doesn't work ideal, I can additionally tweak the sources (now that I found where to do this).

Happy clicking through the admin panel! For testing, here's a test message: [forums.reprap.org]

FWIW: When I tried this link, it opened in a new tab. Both links in the destination msg opened in the same tab. Guessing no one's looked at it yet. winking smiley

Traumflug
P.S.: the more I work with Phorum, the more I like it. Almost always I attempt to tweak something, I find it already coded, just not enabled. Its primitive appearance is quite a contrast to its feature-richness.

After having played with Phorum a while back I was pleasantly surprised. It's no where near as bad as some people make out - you just gotta go actually "look" for stuff.

The range of addons is somewhat extensive. Part of this is because it's rare to see a module that does the same functions as another module. If a module doesn't quite do something, people have a tendency to expand the existing module, rather than writing a new one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 07:31PM by Cefiar.
November 03, 2013 04:51AM
VDX
... I've changed the settings in the BBcode module - check it out ...

Works excellently. Thanks, Viktor.

November 05, 2013 03:13AM
Looking very good!! smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login