Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3d printer book

Posted by shysf 
3d printer book
December 29, 2009 04:09PM
Has anyone thought about writing a book about making the 3d printer? Perhaps using the Reprap for Dummies or Idiot's guide to buidling a reprap machine ?
Re: 3d printer book
December 29, 2009 04:21PM
I agree...I think if all the information would all be in one place and not scattered all around the RepRap website I would totally buy that book!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 04:30PM by drummerboyx.
December 29, 2009 05:51PM
How about if Dr. ED writes the book. He know everything about the RepRap. Also being a brand new PHD in the academic world it is publish or perish. You just gotta love the slam dunk items when they come up. Sorry Dr. Ed but you are the best person to write this besides Dr. Bowyer and he has seniority.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 05:51PM by bobt.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
December 30, 2009 04:01PM
Ed is Currently in New Zealand training up to go roughing it in the bush as he is doing his OE, I expect he won't be back in the UK for some time.

[vimeo.com]
January 01, 2010 11:33PM
Perhaps the other guys in the core group can start one?
January 01, 2010 11:54PM
We're all too busy doing research and so on.

Or in my case, finding excuses not to solder. smiling smiley Current excuse: sunspots. Previous excuse: soldering iron was crap.

I'm not academic track right now, but I'd guess for Ed and Adrian, they're oriented around 1) Research, 2) Writing Papers.

Research and papers are what their peers and grant-giving committees care about; books are more interesting to laypeople but are less important to researchers until the field matures and they become useful for education.

-------------------------------------

Our documentation system should be the wiki. drummerboyx, do you want to start editing it, or at least start a thread in the library subforum where you can point out what's broken?
[dev.forums.reprap.org]
January 02, 2010 10:34AM
Sure, I'll start editing it. When I was building my RepStrap machine it was a little difficult to find all the information necessary for building it. It was mostly all scattered everywhere. I found most of it by searching it on google. But, if all that info were to be on one area (like the mendel is), that would be great.

Thanks,
Drummerboyx
January 02, 2010 02:09PM
I don't think a printed book would be appropriate for the 3d printing community at this time. Too many things in flux, and given a 6 month lead time on a printed book, from purchase to publication, it would be woefully out of date when it hit the shelves. Just think if you sold the book today, what will have likely changed by the time it hit the book stores?

-Likely a new Makerbot CNC
-Likely a new versions of Mendel say a 2.2-2.4
-Heated build plate will be purchasable
-Hopefully more Repstraps will come into the marketplace (at the very least a European Makerbot and an American Bits from Bytes).
-Hopefully some Mendel Factories get going this year, that will change the ecosystem heavily.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
January 03, 2010 10:24PM
spacexula () said
> I don't think a printed book would be appropriate for the 3d printing community at this time. Too many things in flux, and given a 6 month lead time on a printed book, from purchase to publication,

www.lulu.com allows you to publish a book instantly. The book can be updated and used to fund the reprap.org project. (It also supports "soft" books to)

Stephen
January 04, 2010 01:34AM
Good point.

Once the wiki's perfect and Eiffel is running I'll think about it. However, once the wiki's perfect we won't need it.

I like your point about merch. It would be good to have some fun stuff and kits on hand for the next Maker Faires.
January 04, 2010 02:25AM
I don't know about you but I prefer a real book.
Especially if it is laid out in a linear fasion and is well researched.

I can see two types of books being popular.

1) Reference book.
2) How to book (starters manual with background)

Stephen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 02:25AM by stephen george.
January 05, 2010 08:30PM
There's a mediawiki extension, Pdf_Book, which might help.
[www.linux.com]

I'm not going to test it until after the server rejuvenation, as it might explode and take out the server.

Much of the research that gets blogged never finds its way into the wiki, so we library gnomes will take all the help we can get right now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 09:32PM by SebastienBailard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login