Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unforking committee - Let's fix the website!

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Unforking committee - Let's fix the website!
January 10, 2010 10:25PM
What do we need in a post-mediawiki RepRap CMS (content management system)? I think the very name content management system is the wrong name, but blogging/uploading/sharing/commenting/object-viewing AND documentation RepRap system is a bit wordy.

And we need a nice way for people to upload their extruder modifications and enjoy it.

So, what are peoples' needs and ideas?

[EDIT: This thread has derailed into useful work and discussion about fixing RepRap.org as it is now, as opposed to some hypothetical future website. ]

[EDIT: I've made this "unstuck" from the top of the forum, so my more angry ranting isn't the first thing that people see when they come in here. -Sebastien Bailard 2009Jan25]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2010 09:29PM by SebastienBailard.
Re: Post-mediawiki
January 15, 2010 01:34AM
Feel free to create a new thread for your proposal.

But remember that your proposal/server/etc needs to live at
yourserver.reprap.org, or replace reprap.org, and that it needs to host the RepRap documentation and parts library, and function as a non-profit space that we developers are comfortable in and will be ssh-ing into to fix stuff and work on stuff.

We're not going to pull up stakes and move the RepRap documentation to a non-RepRap.org server. Any further than we already have, exhibit A: thingiverse, a highly popular and for-profit service which seems to host all the new extruders that people make.

But we'll be ecstatic to transitioning RepRap documentation, and more importantly RepRap parts into your software, running on RepRap.org.

Please take a look here:
[objects.reprap.org]
as it describes some of our needs.

If it does not include your needs, bring them up in this thread (and edit the wiki).

django sounds cool. Any django gurus out there?

Would it help if we spidered everything under GPL off the non-RepRap.org sites onto RepRap.org?
January 19, 2010 06:12AM
> blogging/uploading/sharing/commenting/

People are doing this already in a great way! using BlogSpot which is great and simple for people to use.

We are all connected, thanks to "RepRap aggregation pipe of blogs" -- which were a great idea :-)

Everyone can create his own blog and we can comment on every blog, using the same ID, OpenID for example.

On my blog I have a widget that shows latest RepRap aggregation blog posts: [casainho-emcrepstrap.blogspot.com]

> object-viewing
> And we need a nice way for people to upload their
> extruder modifications and enjoy it.

Thingiverse is already doing it and is perfect. And also Thingiverse serve adds for Makerbot, which is very important for Makerbot and community - so Thingiverse pays for itself.

Why spend energies doing something that is already done and working perfectly?

> AND documentation RepRap system is a bit wordy.

RepRap wiki seems great to me.

As on hardware, we should make things modular. On this big community I think is great to have blog, forum, thingiverse, etc separated. I wish there was OpenID on each one, so people could "travel" on each site using the same login, being the same persona.

I think there should be a team of RepRap developers that should focus his energies on improving actual 3D printer! Like Mendel is not perfect on extruder, NopHead show on his tests that actual pinch wheel is not the best one.

Also there is the heated build platform that should be tested and verified! Everyone is having warping and sticking problems and this heated build platform looks like to be the solution.

Someone should test the build platform, build it/assembly and sell - maybe Makerbot could sell it?

I spent already a lot of money and time looking for my heated build platform, and it's being impossible to find locally and really flat piece of aluminum. I wish someone could sell to me the heated build platform already assembled and tested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 06:22AM by casainho.
January 19, 2010 11:45AM
I think ideally, a unified website like SebastienBailard is working towards is the way to go. From a practical standpoint though, Thingiverse is pretty well done. RepRap parts should be hosted and documented locally on the RepRap site of course, but for random models and things, my perspective is that Thingiverse has it covered.

I see that Thingiverse is being run by MakerBot. How friendly are the organizers of RepRap and the organizers of MakerBot? Would MakerBot be up for merging Thingiverse into the RepRap site?
January 19, 2010 02:28PM
The organizers of MakerBot include some folk who were RepRap organizers. And they knew that I wanted to build in Thingiverse-like functionality into the RepRap website, before they coded Thingiverse up. While I was still struggling solo with the stalled twiki->mediawiki transition. So ... many of us are friends, and I am still polite, but I am very frustrated. I mean, I think it would best serve the community to have Makerbot up on RepRap.org's wiki.

Also, we're speaking to each other from across a non-profit/for profit split, and I want RepRap.org to do stuff like this in collaboration with archive.org:
[objects.reprap.org].
whereas the thingiverse might turn around and sell the website 2 years from now. And then, *poof*, zero influence over where our parts and stuff are, and even more forking of the community.
January 19, 2010 05:14PM
Big difference between the projects.

Who is tweeting RepRap? Who is vlogging Reprap? Who is promoting RepRap? Who is buying booths at CES for RepRap?

Look at google trends, the work they are doing is paying off, and the lack of work on the RepRap end is making RepRap pay.

There is a reason I own a Makerbot and not a Reprap, there was NO way to get a RepRap, but I could get a Cupcake.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
January 19, 2010 11:17PM
We're getting sidetracked here. I'm going to be moderate this thread and censor (devowel or delete) anything that's negative about thingiverse and makerbot 'stuff'. I may nuke any other old thread where I got negative.

Let's go back to the original subject, How do we make RepRap.org better?

What features do we want or need in a post-mediawiki RepRap CMS?

Let's brainstorm about basic, granular features.

Let's brainstorm about the more slippery and fascinating social networking stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 11:21PM by SebastienBailard.
January 19, 2010 11:22PM
1)I want to us to be able to blog our documentation, parts, arts, machines, projects. Because it's fun, and it will help our users, if misterbunny has a blog/homepage at misterbunny.reprap.org

That's written up here.
[dev.forums.reprap.org]

That also means I have to less cheerleading and user education to get things like spoolhead, delta and so on into the wiki.

This helps RepRap.org serve and incubate basic research and basic art needs for users and small collaborations.
January 20, 2010 01:12AM
Ok. Not to talk cross-threads or be repetitive, but I would say there is a need for a branched release system. For example, a stable branch and a development branch.

The stable branch is locked down, nobody can do anything but basically proofread and maybe clarify the pages. It has complete, specific, and accurate materials lists, with detailed step-by-step assembly instructions. Purchasing locations would be a nice touch, but they're not as important as knowing what you need to purchase and then what to do with it.

The development branch is basically a (hopefully more organized) version of the current mediawiki. Lots of ideas being thrown around, things changing all the time, everything can be half documented, etc...

Maybe even a "hopes for the future" branch, where developers communicate with non-developers about what features are important (is support material important? how about a higher resolution? printing new materials? printing multiple materials? driving total cost down?)

Blogs, a thingiverse-like section, social-networking, and all the rest of the community-parts should be separated from the above. They can be interconnected, but need to remain distinctly separate at the same time.

On a totally separate note, what about a RepRap marketplace? Buy and sell kits for building RepRaps, especially RP parts (like the sections of the forum). I think raw materials like spools of ABS filament would do well. You could even sell things like extruders, since they can be very tricky to make. Maybe even fully assembled RepRaps, if there's a market for them.

So, what that boils down to then is that my interpretation of a new website would be this:

reprap.org (almost entirely about Mendel) :
    Overview
    Materials lists
        Non-RP parts (link to parts.reprap.org)
        RP parts (link to object-db)
    Build Instructions

archive.reprap.org (for Darwin) :
        Overview
        Materials lists
        Build Instructions

parts.reprap.org (for non-RP parts) :
        Lists for Darwin
            (broken down further, ex. Electronics... Fasteners...)
        Lists for Mendel
            (broken down further, ex. Electronics... Fasteners...)
        Other lists
            (organized by project)
        Where to buy

dev.reprap.org (Wiki where everyone exchanges ideas about the next main RepRap) :
        Overview (draft)
        Materials Lists (draft)
        Build Instructions (draft)
        (plus lots of other pages for various ideas being thrown around)

community.reprap.org (basically just a portal to the below) :
        Blogs (maybe blogs.reprap.org?)
        Forums (forum.reprap.org?)
        Object-Database (Thingiverse-like, maybe objdb.reprap.org?)
            (with the ability to group parts together for projects)
        Personal Machines (perhaps variations.reprap.org?)
            I haven't come up with a real nice way of organizing these yet.
        RepRap Marketplace (maybe shop.reprap.org?)
            (not a forum, instead more of an e-commerce site, kinda like e-bay)

A CMS simply needs to integrate all that.

A slightly different variation of that would be with the {Materials Lists} linking right to parts.reprap.org, which then has a section for RP parts next to the sections for Electronics and Fasteners. This RP parts section would then link to the object-database.

I encourage you guys to copy and paste that section for your own posts. There's some parts of it that I haven't figured out, and other parts that I simply don't like yet. It's probably missing some parts too. One big thing is that I assumed that subdomains are free. If this is not the case, it needs to be reworked a bit then.

I guess that's more than two cents, sorry sad smiley

-Hypoon
January 20, 2010 01:32AM
Hyphoon, I need to unplug from my browser for a bit. This is a cursory and poorly thought out response.

Darwin, Mendel, RepOlaRap, odd sculptures, etc. to all be on CMS with wiki features. That said:

Darwin.RepRap.org
and
Mendel.RepRap.org
and
RatWithYourCheese.RepRap.org
and
MisterBunny.RepRap.org will be subdomains, but they're also stored in the wiki (and interlinked), so stuff is fluid, and we only have one copy of a gear or Rat.

Also, I need Eiffel in there, along with RBS.
[objects.reprap.org]
[objects.reprap.org]

I think we need to have fluidity so that a gear from RBS ends up in an extruder, and we don't have two forks for the gear.

Lastly, reprap.org (almost entirely about Mendel) is the wrong spirit. I'm thinking reprap.org (lays out Mendel as what you want to build/buy, all nice and stable and patrolled, but here's all the bleeding edge cool stuff [[RepOlaRap]])

I'll give more formal and unhurried response tomorrow or so.
January 20, 2010 07:41AM
Hi all,

Good thread. I am very aware of the problems discussed here and hope this can be structured better towards the future. When I started with RepRap more than a year ago it took me about a month to get al the pieces of the RR puzzle together, digging true the wiki and forum. Very confusing was the official wiki, builder wiki, objects wiki etc (you all know). Also lots of info on the official website was outdated and not maintained. I myself am interested in paste extruders (yet another blog: unfoldfab.blogspot.com) and was excited about the fact that there was info available on this topic but after a while it was clear to me that this was very outdated (25 months and counting). I always use the fat link in the left menu called Documentation (http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/DocumentationMain) which has a good overview of all systems/subsystems. But this looks like a forgotten page. So all in all it is very confusing and badly structured.

I read that there are very ambitious plans being discussed here but while they sound the right thing to do and are based on very valid points I have fears that in an opensource organic structure this will be hard to pull together. I would rather follow the Photographers advice "The Best Camera Is The One That’s With You". The best system is the one that you have and the one that is easy to use even if it is not perfect.

The current situation is probably the very result of RepRap's succes, people use, reuse, hack, resample,... and there is a whole ecosystem happening around RepRap. I think it is natural that lots of things happen outside of RepRap.org and RepRap.org's task would be to link to the relevant stuff and not perse host EVERYTHING somehow related to it. Why should printable designs, unrelated to the RepRap hardware be hosted on RR.org? Thingiverse does a great job in this field, no need to replicate this functionality.

I am also responsible for some of this delocalization. Our interest here in our design studio is not in improving the RepRap printer because we have no skills for that, but to study what the implications of Personal Fabrication and Rapid Manufacturing tech will be for the field of design. So we bought a Rapman from Bits from Bytes and since then are more active on their forum instead of RR.org's forum. Should everything Rapman related be discussed under RR.org forum? IMHO no because the target group is different and discussions are often specific to Rapman. There is relevant info in there but I think it will naturally reflow to RR.org when it is important enough because of all the cross links. I also started the Skeinforge wiki with Bogdan on the Bits from Bytes wiki. We discussed where we would do it and settled on BfB wiki because we felt just more comfortable doing it there. I think it would be even better when it was on a dedicated Skeinforge website with its own wiki. While Skeinforge is really related to RR, who says this will stay so exclusively. Fab@home, Candyfab, HM3DP, Diy CNC's,... can all benefit from this software if they want too.

Without going into too much detail, I would rather promote the idea of a stripped down clean core RR website with structured 'official' info on the released machines. Want to build a darwin? Here you go: This cartesian robot, this electronics, this extruder, this software. etc etc. Mendell can be called Beta release. Maybe some Rep(st)raps and links to the kits from Makerbot and Bits from Bytes because I believe they are really doing a great job in spreading the RepRap technology. Development and experimental work should go on a separate wiki at RR.org and in all the places where it happens ATM. I am kind of following the logic of Arduino here. They only host the official Arduino project and boards with very easy to understand, well stuctured info. Takes you a day to understand what it is and how to get started. Next to this they have an official Blog, a Forum and the Playground. This last thing is actually the wiki with all Arduino related info and community resources. There are dozens of Arduino derivatives and projects. Think about the Arduino based RepRap Gen.3 electronics, its not hosted at Arduino.cc (would make sense in the suck-in-all-info philosophy used in this discussion), its hosted at RR.org (and Makerbot). So all the non official Arduino info is either in Playground wiki, or referenced when the project is large enough to have its own website. See RR.org, like Arduino.cc as an incubator for RR related ideas and projects. Once they gain enough body, they can live on their own and hopefully ping back all the usefull info to the mothership. I think this delocalized, modular structure is more true to the nature of RR and has more chance in succeeding. In a modular structure there is always place to develop stuff in house when the need is there, but I would really rather like to see that the info on the official 'releases' gets structured first.

So, hope this makes some sense and contributes to the discussion.
January 20, 2010 02:49AM
I think a lot of the user suffering is currently coming from these small ( and relatively fixable) issues:

Issue 1 - main twiki isn't publically editable, so people use the 'objects' mediawiki for content they would like to publish.

Issue 2 - the two wikis then disagree, and there is a lack of wikigroomers/wikicleanup happening on the main wiki ( I'm sure it's happening, just not fast enough for the rest of the community ).

Fix 1: These two wikies need to become just one, asap.

Issue 3 - profiferation of blogs and other sites... Can't keep up, too much to read.... drowning. Federating/Aggregating the blogs at least gets the content all in once place.

Fix 2: We need to encourage people to actively store the long-term-value elements in the wiki, not just blog-and-forget them. If the have a first-class wiki to put them in, no artificial roadblocks, and a little direction, then this *WILL* happen. It's not worth doing till Fix 1 is implemented.

Issue 4 - quality of the wiki documentation will suffer. Yes, new/small parts of it will be really bad, but every reader will have been promoted to a potential editor, and these will frequently fix themselves. Wiki Groomers are amazing quiet creatures when encouraged.

Fix 3: To prevent total wiki distruction, perhaps some core navigational, or well developed pages can be made restricted, or even just be flagged as "draft" until a core-team reviewer OK's it. The original editor gets an immediate edit, and the core team can just do a quick check later to see the change was a good one.

Issue 5 - External Objects, External STLs, etc. Object Libraries... At least in the short term, these is a workable infrastructure in place (thingiverse), just run with it, and embed links to it into the wiki as much as possible. Once the previous fixes are in-place, then maybe look into an integration, or periodically syncing thingiverse data into the wiki. ( which would make a hypothetical buy-out or shut-down of thingiverse into a fork of the objects system,.,,, until then, forking is pointless ) .

what do people think?

Buzz.
January 20, 2010 07:48AM
buzz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think a lot of the user suffering is currently
> coming from these small ( and relatively fixable)
> issues:
>
> Issue 1 - main twiki isn't publically editable, so
> people use the 'objects' mediawiki for content
> they would like to publish.
>
> Issue 2 - the two wikis then disagree, and there
> is a lack of wikigroomers/wikicleanup happening on
> the main wiki ( I'm sure it's happening, just not
> fast enough for the rest of the community ).
>
> Fix 1: These two wikies need to become just one,
> asap.

Yes and no (read my previous post) I would like to see locked info on the 'official' releases for people who just get started. So yes, only one community wiki where experimental/development stuff happens.

>
> Issue 3 - profiferation of blogs and other
> sites... Can't keep up, too much to read....
> drowning. Federating/Aggregating the blogs at
> least gets the content all in once place.
>
> Fix 2: We need to encourage people to actively
> store the long-term-value elements in the wiki,
> not just blog-and-forget them. If the have a
> first-class wiki to put them in, no artificial
> roadblocks, and a little direction, then this
> *WILL* happen. It's not worth doing till Fix 1
> is implemented.

True

>
> Issue 4 - quality of the wiki documentation will
> suffer. Yes, new/small parts of it will be really
> bad, but every reader will have been promoted to a
> potential editor, and these will frequently fix
> themselves. Wiki Groomers are amazing quiet
> creatures when encouraged.
>
> Fix 3: To prevent total wiki distruction,
> perhaps some core navigational, or well developed
> pages can be made restricted, or even just be
> flagged as "draft" until a core-team reviewer OK's
> it. The original editor gets an immediate edit,
> and the core team can just do a quick check later
> to see the change was a good one.

This is along the lines of what I would like to see too.

>
>
> Issue 5 - External Objects, External STLs, etc.
> Object Libraries... At least in the short term,
> these is a workable infrastructure in place
> (thingiverse), just run with it, and embed links
> to it into the wiki as much as possible. Once
> the previous fixes are in-place, then maybe look
> into an integration, or periodically syncing
> thingiverse data into the wiki. ( which would make
> a hypothetical buy-out or shut-down of thingiverse
> into a fork of the objects system,.,,, until then,
> forking is pointless ).

I think we all agree that the official RR parts should be hosted at RepRap. All other stuff can go where it wants to go. The obvious, easy choice being Thingiverse. Maybe I am naive but the objects and designs posted on TV have their own licenses you can chose yourself, how can someone run away with them?

>
> what do people think?
>
> Buzz.

I agree mostly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 07:52AM by unfold.
January 20, 2010 09:33PM
I'm stuck a between unfold's point of view and SebastienBailard's. I understand and agree with SebastienBaliard in that having most RepRap related stuff hosted on RepRap.org is very beneficial because information only needs to be in one place.

unfold, I feel that many users would benefit from having a place to host their ideas. The difference between this and arduino.cc is that Arduino's are not quite as variable as RepRaps are. As far as Arduinos are concerned, I did a lot of looking around before buying, and although there are several variations on the Arduino, few (if any) of them are dramatic improvements. For example, the Gen3 electronics are designed specifically for 3d printing, and are not nearly as useful as standard Arduinos for other purposes.

The closest analog that I can get is to say that if someone devised their own type of plastic that only they had access to, then it probably not be appropriate to host a custom extruder for that plastic on RepRap.org's website. Such a custom extruder wouldn't be useful for anybody but its maker, similar to how the Generation 3 Electronics wouldn't be useful to most browsers of the arduino.cc.

Naturally though, such a situation is less likely for RepRap than for Arduino, so I side with SebastienBailard on that fact. Let's host pretty much as much as we can on-site.

Buzz: I pretty much agree with everything you said, and I suspect most everyone else will too. I doubt there will be much opposition to them: they're right along the lines of what the plan is anyway.

On another note, SebastienBailard, I really disagree with using subdomains quite so freely. I think giving each project (mendel, darwin, its own subdomain is a bit excessive. Also, I don't think subdomains are easily generated automatically (but it is definitely possible). Don't forget that you can have a directory structure on a website. You don't have to use subdomains to separate things winking smiley. What do you think of this:

Note: Everything's tentative. I got tired of question marks and the word "maybe," just assume that everything has "maybe?" written after it.

NOTE: whoa, posted way to early. Hold on a few minutes while I finish it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 09:34PM by Hypoon.
Unforking committee - maybe just one RepRap.org site is the best policy? Discuss:
January 20, 2010 10:38PM
On another note, SebastienBailard, I really disagree with using subdomains quite so freely. I think giving each project (mendel, darwin, its own subdomain is a bit excessive. Also, I don't think subdomains are easily generated automatically (but it is definitely possible). Don't forget that you can have a directory structure on a website. You don't have to use subdomains to separate things winking smiley. What do you think of this?

I agree. But we need subdomains for the people who will want them as homepages. Darwin, Mendel, not so much. But the RepOlaRap fellow might want one, and I want to give the SpoolHead team a place to blog so that they can link to it on their own pages. Otherwise, they maintain their own blog, and things get de-synced, and then we've got versioning issues.

I have no strong feelings about having mendel.reprap.org, but I want spoolhead.reprap.org to encourage those guys in their forum.

unfold and I disagree a little bit about what can go into the wiki. That's a fascinating subject we can hash out ad infinatum in another thread. Or over on [objects.reprap.org] It is a derail of this thread, and I'm going to moderate (devowel, delete) any more pro or anti thingiverse stuff. Because this is where we figure out how to unfork the website(s) and community.

We need "Parts" functionality for RBS.

This thread is an un-untangleable mix of discussion about unforking past, present, and future RepRap.org website stuff. And it looks like I'm "senior librarian, pro tem" unless adrian or zach want to be, plus I never get to abuse my forum admin powers due to pesky developer-ethics. So I've changed the name of the thread. smiling smiley
Re: Unforking committee - maybe just one RepRap.org site is the best policy? Discuss:
January 20, 2010 11:26PM
This thread flickered around a bit, while I made sure Hyphoon's proposal of Drupal had its own thread.

I'm not going to do that again, because it is waaaaay too much work. People can bring up new proposals where they like, hopefully in other new threads where we can focus on them. Because new proposals are needed.

In other news, I'd like to point out this: a dynamic book that is generated by the current "true" documentation. So we don't go nuts entering updates into the pdf, and dealing with versioning. Blender pulled it off using mediawiki (I think): Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
[en.wikibooks.org]

I don't know what extensions they had running, or how they did it, but I assume it is straightforward. And I assume that there is a good mediawiki to pdf extension.

Regarding locking down, protecting the Mendel pages, I'd like to assure everyone that Mediawiki is really good at that.

We can lock it down so only "core-developer" team people can change it, as we're doing now. But we can also flag it as "Patrolled", so that silly or careless edits by RepRap-naive users immediately pop up on patroller's radar.

It's the only way wikipedia could survive, and it will work well for us.

I'm going to go write up my twiki->mediawiki notes for the folk I'm working with, and then get back to this thread, and back to unforking. smiling smiley
Re: Unforking committee - Let's fix the website!
January 21, 2010 07:41PM
Building A reprap machine from scratch is quite a large commitment for a new user to under take.

So I think we should help budding new reprappers in this way.

We have a simple low cost solution that is easy to build the "starter machine"
or "Little Mendel"

Then having simple easy instructions with some pre-sliced ready to run files to start building / printing replacements using the "starter machine" for the next stage.

The majority of the parts required for the more complex machine must consist of re-using most of the Vitamins like steppers and electronics with the added ability to up-grade and improve the print resolution and size.

Both the Mendel and Darwin designs lend them selves to being built bigger by just increasing the length of the threaded bars and belts.

Providing an upgraded path like this to the state of the art cutting edge Mendel with the heated bed multiple extruders with in built 3D scanning or whatever the advanced users have created. I a good way to increase the number of users.

Thus making the more complex side of reprapping some thing a user can grow into.

Rather than new users having to jump in at the deep end like it is at the moment.

We need a simple stable starting point that provides instant gratification.

The Guys at Makerbot have done exactly that a simple easy to build machine.

Makerbot is not like Darwin or Mendel it is not expandable.

It is expensive as its cut with high cost high tech lasers.

A Repstrap starter machine (Baby Mendel) could be very simple to build at pocket money prices. Mendel is alredy very much like a mechano kit to build.

Steppers Electronics belts and Extruders are the only high cost difficult items.

I think a target all in build cost of £100 - £150 or $160 - $240 US is a pocket money price point to aim for.

The Idea of RepRap blogs is great idea but getting an easy to folow low cost starting point will grow RepRap much faster.

As for the Wiki two Questions...

1/. how do you find the Mr bunny page or Eiffel page easily without a link?

I found pressing the WIKI random page button was a very useful exercise
book marking things of interest. Now I have lost the WIKI random page button.

2/. Where is the random page button?

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 22, 2010 05:17AM
1/. how do you find the Mr bunny page or Eiffel page easily without a link?
Simple. Once we've worked up something decent, Eiffel goes up on the front page.
(ditto RepOlaRap, etc.)
I do want to nuke that video and split the front page:
left {Mendel, Darwin} | right {toy/research/interesting, e.g. RepOla.}
[en.wikipedia.org]
Wikipedia does this well.

Regarding mister bunny's page, it's not our responsibility, it's his. Like Wade did.
[objects.reprap.org]
If he's tacked his name up there, it's all good.

If he posts in the forum, people see his name and the five last project he's joined (we'll tweak the forum to do so). If he stays interesting, people keep coming back to misterbunny.reprap.org This way he'll want to join projects and so on. Also, we'll want to add "favoriting", so that misterbunny sees something, clicks "favorite" and it gets added to his page, and his name pops up on the (abridged) list of people who favorited something.

This will be like RepRap bookmarks. Some people will find it useful, and immediately populate the sytem once it starts.

This will make for some really sneaky and effective social networking stuff. Happily, it's not coercive or contemptuous, so it's all good. And misterbunny will be happy.

I also want to add favoriting to forum comments like metafilter does.
[www.metafilter.com]
It works really well to generate positive and interesting discussion.

But as we're going to build mailing lists into the forum for the RUGs and the stealth devs, we might now be able to until a phorum.org programmer figures it out.
I found pressing the WIKI random page button was a very useful exercise
book marking things of interest. Now I have lost the WIKI random page button.

via "Special Pages" on the lower left:
[pecialpages" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">objects.reprap.org]
-new thread next time.

I think a target all in build cost of £100 - £150 or $160 - $240 US is a pocket money price point to aim for.
We'll get there soon, I hope. Not a library question 'though. - New thread.

The Guys at Makerbot have done exactly that a simple easy to build machine.
Eiffel's easier to fabricate at home. All you need is a cheap drill press. I hope it will unfork things a bit. Eiffel should be easy to assemble.
Not a library question 'though. - New thread.
January 23, 2010 12:18AM
Hey guys, I've been absent from this conversation for a day or two now. I got quite frustrated when a glitch/bug in Phorum caused me to lose a very lengthy edit to that above post. Rather than redo it all, I'm creating a website that I'll give only a few people the links to, since it's running on my home internet connection (I can't have the whole public connecting to my poor DSL line at the same time).

My idea is that I'll set it up pretty much the way I think it needs to go, and then you guys can say, "you need to do this," and then I'll do it. I know that I often don't do a very good job expressing my ideas, so I figure showing will be easier than telling.

Once it's set up, I'll let you guys know and you can PM me for the link. Don't bother PMing me for it ahead of time though; I'm throwing it together before bringing it live. Hopefully I'll have something for you to look at before Monday.
January 23, 2010 09:21PM
Hey guys, I've been absent from this conversation for a day or two now. I got quite frustrated when a glitch/bug in Phorum caused me to lose a very lengthy edit to that above post. Rather than redo it all, I'm creating a website that I'll give only a few people the links to, since it's running on my home internet connection (I can't have the whole public connecting to my poor DSL line at the same time).

I think it's much better to keep your contributions here where they'll get read. I'm already tracking so many conversations {email, mailing list, phorum, phorum pm, blog post, reprap wiki talk tab} and forks and such that me and us other user-developers in here may not get a chance to hear your thoughts if they're elsewhere.

It may be best to do them up in a non-phorum editor, walk away, make some tea, ... reread, and then post.

More straightforward then saying "these are my thoughts on my blog on this matter" [Link].

As a hypothetical, imagine if all of us did the same: [Link][Link_Sebastien_Blog][Link_Misterbunny_blog], etc. The conversation (or debate?) would fragment.

Short version: By contributing in here at the "Unforking Policy Coal Face", you've got the best chance to be heard. And since you're a user-developer, you deserve to be heard. smiling smiley
January 23, 2010 10:01PM
Also, I might add, many other reprap user-devs are 'hiding' over on the internal mailing list. Only minimum 4-5? know what's going on in here. And some who may be lurking don't want to get immersed in a messy, occasionally emotional, and occasionally technically complicated discussion.

Which means they'll have their own thoughts on this ongoing unforking and where do we put documentation and parts debate. When we bring it to their attention, after they rejoin the forum, via the addition of the mailing list in a few weeks.

Mind you, it will be interesting reading contributions in this RepRap.org forum from 'official' developers who habitually don't contribute projects, parts, arts, docs to the wiki, instead choosing to upload stuff to 'website-of-the-month'.

But I think that's the whole reason for this debate, really. smiling smiley

That and the six 10,000s problem.
[objects.reprap.org]

Entangled with this is the fact that the RepRap and other forum, wiki, svn, git?, and blogs are completely siloed from each other, upload wise. Phorum uploads don't make it to the wiki right now, projects and repraps put up on thingiverse, google 3D warehouse, secondlife, etc., don't get automatically mirrored or spidered into RepRap.org yet, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2010 10:03PM by SebastienBailard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login