Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forum reorganization

Posted by Buback 
Re: Forum reorganization
March 25, 2014 04:55AM
Traumflug
Just FYI, I'm all for identifying scrap, too, I just don't see how it can be done reliably. Instead I see heated debates based on very weak arguments.

One strategy could be to make two vendor sections, "authorized vendors" and "other vendors". Only sellers authorized by the developer himself would got into "authorized vendors". This way every seller finds his place and there's a distinction of the items known to be good and those of not yet defined quality (which can be good, too, of course).

i like this idea, it would give the developers a bit more control and go a long way to helping new people avoid dodgy components , i think the jhead wiki page might be a good candidate for a test to see how it pans out, if there is agreeance with that i'll talk to brian on irc as soon as he gets on again and implement it

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 25, 2014 02:36PM
thejollygrimreaper
Traumflug
One strategy could be to make two vendor sections, "authorized vendors" and "other vendors". Only sellers authorized by the developer himself would got into "authorized vendors". This way every seller finds his place and there's a distinction of the items known to be good and those of not yet defined quality (which can be good, too, of course).

i like this idea, it would give the developers a bit more control and go a long way to helping new people avoid dodgy components , i think the jhead wiki page might be a good candidate for a test to see how it pans out, if there is agreeance with that i'll talk to brian on irc as soon as he gets on again and implement it

I agree with it.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
A2
March 26, 2014 01:29AM
What incentive is there for a developer/manufacturer/seller to approve a competitors copy of his design.

A part could meet dimensional requirements, but if a different machine, or a slightly different material was used, then the quality/robustness of the device has changed.
This would mislead a consumer into thinking they are purchasing an equivalent product.
March 26, 2014 02:13AM
A2
What incentive is there for a developer/manufacturer/seller to approve a competitors copy of his design.

A part could meet dimensional requirements, but if a different machine, or a slightly different material was used, then the quality/robustness of the device has changed.
This would mislead a consumer into thinking they are purchasing an equivalent product.

most if not all the clones don't even meet the dimensional requirements of the version of the jhead they are sold as, and thats to start with, they not only use different materials as well, but also put them through no actual testing and are in it purely for the quick money,

if they want to produce jheads then they need to do it properly and to the drawings provided then they can call them jheads, if there is any deviation from the drawings like there is then they should be called something else and not ride on the jhead name and faith people have in it,

for more information on the topic have a read here: http://jheadnozzle.blogspot.com.au/

the question i ask is what incentive is there for developers to keep developing something if it is misrepresented by being made badily/incorrectly?

i personally don't believe we should stick our heads in the sand under the guise of "it's opensource" and ignore these people especially to the detriment of the developer, if anything sorting/removing links to those who don't play along should be incentive enough to pull their socks up and get it right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 02:22AM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 26, 2014 07:54AM
thejollygrimreaper
if there is agreeance with that i'll talk to brian on irc as soon as he gets on again and implement it

Yes, please go ahead. Especially I'd be interested if he's willing to maintain the sorting into both subcategories himself. He's the one who can decide about the topic, so it would be nice if he'd do the wiki editing, too.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 26, 2014 09:52AM
Do we need the Reprappers forum? The description "People building or using RepRaps" is vague, and consequently the forum has very similar topics to the General forum. I think the two forums could be condensed into one.

If that's not an option then the description and/or title of the Reprappers forum needs to be updated to something more descriptive.
March 26, 2014 10:31PM
samp20
Do we need the Reprappers forum?
Personally I've always thought the Reprappers forum was kind of redundant compared with General and Developers... But Reprappers is consistently very active. The people that post in it seem to be happy with it. In general I would be hesitant to mess with a subforum that gets a lot of traffic.

On a related note: Much as I love the idea of Bounties, that subforum is stone cold dead and should be moved elsewhere. It really looks out of place in between the high traffic forums at the top of the list.

Maybe we can start a wiki page and use tables to visualize proposed "before and after" reorganizations. I've seen several good ideas posted here already, but it is pretty hard to visualize and keep track of the different suggestions.
A2
March 27, 2014 04:06AM
thejollygrimreaper
if there is any deviation from the drawings like there is then they should be called something else and not ride on the jhead name and faith people have in it,

[www.geeetech.com]

It appears that geeetech has taken great liberties with the J-head name, as it looks nothing like a J-head to me.

So what is being proposed is a list of non-approved versions of the J-head, and the bugger who is selling it?
What other hot ends deemed originals will be on this watch list?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 04:07AM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_514 Mar. 27 03.43.jpg (23.2 KB)
March 27, 2014 04:26AM
A2
thejollygrimreaper
if there is any deviation from the drawings like there is then they should be called something else and not ride on the jhead name and faith people have in it,

[www.geeetech.com]

It appears that geeetech has taken great liberties with the J-head name, as it looks nothing like a J-head to me.

So what is being proposed is a list of non-approved versions of the J-head, and the bugger who is selling it?
What other hot ends deemed originals will be on this watch list?

whats being proposed and is now in place on the jhead wiki page is the seperation of the different suppliers, ideally we should apply this kind of thing to as many of the specialized components as we can and support the developers as much as possible, i think this gives developers a bit more incentive to keep developing but also anyone who wants to produce and opensource incentive to get themselves on the approved list of supplier,

March 27, 2014 05:32AM
MattMoses
Much as I love the idea of Bounties, that subforum is stone cold dead and should be moved elsewhere.

Moving it elsewhere makes it even more invisible.

Looking through what's discussed, I actually can't much request for improvements. If something doesn't work, 99 of 100 people search the problem with selfs, in how they handle the stuff. The idea that something is poorly designed and needs improvement is rarely seen ... at least rarely discussed.

Does this observation match other impressions? What can we learn from it?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login