Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new sub folders?

Posted by Mogal 
new sub folders?
March 24, 2014 04:14PM
Hi!

Just wondering if we could get some new sub folders?

Under Machine Variations: CoreXY

Under Electronics: Raspberry Pi

Under Software: Octoprint

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
Re: new sub folders?
March 24, 2014 04:37PM
Do we have enough posts to go into each of these sub-forums? We already have a few too many sub-forums as it is.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 24, 2014 06:59PM
Does CNCZone.com have too many sub forums smoking smiley

If you build it, they will come. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I think the CoreXY is gaining a strong threshold within the reprap community.
Finding info is scarce and I think this will narrow down some of the searching.

With Raspberry Pi, its also making a good headway with printers, as it offers lots of add-ons.
ie: Wireless, webcam, touchscreen and.. and... and...

Octoprint is the web interface to go along with the wireless/remote capabilities of 3d printing...

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
March 24, 2014 07:41PM
NewPerfection
Do we have enough posts to go into each of these sub-forums? We already have a few too many sub-forums as it is.

Maybe it's time to consolidate some of the other forums that aren't doing too much?

Some of the existing forum names could probably be modified to be a bit more inclusive, so that it's more apparent what is referred to.

Here's some (tentative) examples on what could be done. My own opinions, and of course people may disagree with the choices, but to me it makes sense (and might get some ideas flowing for other forums):

- Rename "Electronics" to "General Electronics" to imply this is not to do with specific designs, but basic stuff like wiring, power supplies, etc.
- Rename "Generation N+1 Electronics Working Group" to "New electronics designs/development" so that it properly refers to any new ideas, designs, people asking for opinions on their new design, etc.
- Rename "RAMPS Electronics" to "Arduino based electronics" to imply this is all sorts of electronics that sit on top of an Arduino Dev board. To me, this includes the Due (and therefore boards like RADDS and RAMPS-FD).
- Rename "Sanguino(lolu)" to "Stand-alone/single board electronics" to imply this is complete all-in-one-board electronics (eg: Sangguino(lolu), Rumba, Rambo, Meltzi, etc).
- Rename "Stepper Motors" to Stepper motor and stepper driver electronics" as a lot of the questions there seem to revolve around what someone needs to do to get a particular stepper motor going.
- Rename "Servo Motors (and theory), DC Motors, Gear Motor" to "Servo/DC/Gear motors & drive electronics" for the same reason as for Steppers.
- When there is demand, create a new "Beagle Bone electronics" forum for capes based on the Beagle Bone platform. There's already 2 different capes for this, and bound to be more.
- When there is demand, create a new "Raspberry Pi electronics" forum for solutions using the Raspberry Pi as a controller (eg: octoprint, issues hooking it up with your electronics, etc).

The descriptions will of course need to be altered to make the purposes a bit more apparent. There would need to be a few threads that move as well (eg: the RAMPS-FD/BeagleBone cape dev threads should go into "New electronics designs/development", a number of threads in "Electronics" need to go into "Arduino Based Electronics" or into "Stand-alone/single board electronics", etc.

Having a sub-forum for a specific type of board is wasteful and leads to lots of sub-forums, whereas having a sub-forum for a specific sub-type of boards makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents (rounded to the nearest 5 cent boundary).
March 24, 2014 07:44PM
Mogal
Does CNCZone.com have too many sub forums smoking smiley

If you build it, they will come. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

IMO, yes! Plus a very confusing forum system that is just impossible to follow sometimes.

I've been using web forums since 1998, the Internet (though not in it's current form) since 1993, and computers since 1982, and to me it's a complete and utter mess of a site that has no meaning.

Please do not mention it again. tongue sticking out smiley
March 25, 2014 04:10AM
The Raspberry Pi isn't a RepRap controller, it's just a PC replacement. If such stuff needs its own section, it should be something like "Controller attachments". Just like any camery attachment, web server and other not directly printing related stuff.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login