Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recent Threads

Posted by tjb1 
Recent Threads
May 02, 2014 11:25AM
I found this add-on on the Phorum website, is it possible that this could be added?

[www.phorum.org]

I would rather watch that list and help new topics instead of bouncing back and forth between sub-forums looking for new posts.
Re: Recent Threads
May 02, 2014 11:27AM
There is also this one which appears to be a little lighter with less features [www.phorum.org]
May 03, 2014 07:26PM
I like the idea as I also waste a lot of time jumping between forums searching for new topics. That being said, I believe the following RSS feed will give you new topics from the entire forum: http://forums.reprap.org/feed.php?type=rss (I've only had a quick look at what it shows)
May 06, 2014 07:56AM
samp20
I like the idea as I also waste a lot of time jumping between forums searching for new topics.

Uhm. How comes? If you're logged in you get new posts and new threads marked in red text right on the start page. And thre's no login-timeout, so you can stay logged in all the time.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 06, 2014 12:44PM
Yes I know about the red text on the start page. It's still takes a little while to load and visit each of those pages, then mark everything as read (for those topics I don't visit).

My original post made this sound a lot worse than it is. The RSS feed should allow me to view all recent topics in one go, so consider my problem solved. I'm not sure if this solves the issue for tjb1 also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 12:50PM by samp20.
May 06, 2014 07:12PM
samp20
Yes I know about the red text on the start page. It's still takes a little while to load and visit each of those pages, then mark everything as read (for those topics I don't visit).

The issues with this are:

1. You can't mark forums to be ignored (could work if the Ignore module for Phorum I've mentioned a number of times was installed). Note that they're ignored by default, as long as you don't read a message in them, which is the first thing that you stuff up after doing a search. It's also not easy to know whether you want to read a particular forum unless you've looked at it and decided you don't want to read it.

2. It doesn't work for forums that have sub-forums (eg: Africa, Asia, Australia, etc).
May 08, 2014 09:05AM
Maybe I should clarify, I would rather read a list of all the new threads and go to ones I am able to help with rather than see a little flag or something, go to the sub-forum and then find out what is new only to find it's something I can't help with.
June 23, 2014 06:19PM
Any update on this?
June 24, 2014 06:00AM
Good question, @tjb1. What did you do, where is your code?

June 24, 2014 08:47AM
tjb1
I found this add-on on the Phorum website, is it possible that this could be added?

[www.phorum.org]

I would rather watch that list and help new topics instead of bouncing back and forth between sub-forums looking for new posts.

Did you even look at the link? Ask a question about a legitmate forum add-on made for "Phorum", post the link to it, receive no feedback besides "Look at red text" which still entails clicking on every sub-forum to see the posts and now receive a smart ass response that still lacks any information.

Have you looked at the link? Does it not work on this software? Is there something missing? or do you not just care?
June 25, 2014 09:00AM
OK, you caught me. I'm a bit allergic against wishlists. Maintaining the invisible parts of reprap.org is quite a bit of work, so I'm not so keen on adding things onto the already long TODO-list.

Just took a second look at this thing. It's very apparently similar to the RSS feed, but shown on a web page. Feed readers got out of fashion, unfortunately. Other than replacing out-of-fashion things it might allow to show forum topics on wiki pages. Bringing forum and wiki closer together is something I find always worthwhile.

Installation isn't trivial, for example it requires writing a web page. I've put the distribution files into place, would you be willing to do the rest? For convenience I've attached their README.

Attachments:
open | download - README (7.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login