Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Safety sub-forum

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Safety sub-forum
June 29, 2014 08:56PM
I say we fold the reprappers forum into the developers forum and replace it with something that we can actually make progress on. Being safe is the most important thing. Right? So let's do that Matty.
Re: Safety sub-forum
June 30, 2014 02:58PM
Also pressure should be put on kit makers to give safety a higher priority IMO.
June 30, 2014 09:45PM
ajayre

Indeed. In what way, specifically could the kit makers help?
June 30, 2014 09:53PM
vegasloki
ajayre

Indeed. In what way, specifically could the kit makers help?

making sure that the power supplies that they sell with them actually have overload and short circuit protection that works as advertised is one that comes to mind, but i don't think we need a whole subform just for the topic of safety

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 09:54PM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Anonymous User
June 30, 2014 10:10PM
There's a subforum just called sandbox. What's that for? There's a subforum for the Gada prize. The gada prize ended months ago. I can go on. What about the Shape Deposition Manufacturing Working Group? [forums.reprap.org] Created 4 years ago. 3 topics.

What about maybe saving a family from dying when there house gets burnt to the ground? And all you gotta do is edit a few lines of html. Pretty good cost benefit ratio if you ask me.

Edit: Oh ya, I forgot there's one called Administration, Announcements, Policy. No one reads that one either. It's where moderators send good points to die.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 10:36PM by goldenmongoose.
June 30, 2014 11:20PM
other admins/moderators: opinions thoughts on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 11:20PM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

June 30, 2014 11:49PM
goldenmongoose: i have moved this topic here because this is the relevant section for it, please do not create a separate copy in every single subform, it will not help get what you want quicker.

A2
July 01, 2014 02:29AM
I would like to see a forum created to discuss topics about best practices, with an emphases on safety, but not inclusive. For example topics could be about start up/shutdown procedures, handling of hot objects, identifying electrical components that could initiate a fire or cause electric shock, safety shields, and enclosures, fail safe designs, standards, material choices, auxiliary equipment, chemicals, resins, etc., things that could cause trivial to serious harm to the user, bystander, or the unaware.

A best practice is a technique or methodology that, through experience and research, has been proven to reliably lead to a desired result.

I think the title of the new forum, should be something on the lines of "Safety & Best Practices", and consider adding a liability statement that the forum is an open discussion, not an authoritative guide.
July 01, 2014 02:43AM
wouldn't a wiki entry serve this purpose best? eg http://reprap.org/wiki/Safety

"Safety & Best Practices" is probably the most appropriate wording for it,

however please bear in mind that this thread was sparked off a post about someone who had a fire break out on their printer, we do not have much in the way of factual data around how the printer was setup, based on what i know and have done in testing on my own printers most of the time events like this come from dodgy components or parts chosen incorrectly, a classic example is some of these chinese industrial power supplies (aka led drivers) they will be advertised as having things like short circuit protection and overload protection however the truth is quite a bit different and very dangerous i have personally had two of these power supplies go up in flames in front of me, and in the not too distant future i will be doing a youtube video demostrating the lack of these two features in a meanwell powersupply which and used extensively by the reprap community

July 01, 2014 06:50AM
thejollygrimreaper
wouldn't a wiki entry serve this purpose best?

Right. A forum is for discussion, not for documentation.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 01, 2014 08:54AM
Traumflug
thejollygrimreaper

And I'm an outlier. Wiki seems a bit difficult to navigate [I easily stop caring for things if they're not simple/easy/both unless I have a passion for it specifically] and I still have no idea how to create a topic or post even after reading a few things. I've largely avoided it and seeing all the noobie questions that spark up here [the kind of people we will be targeting] in the forums I can tell you without much investigation that the wiki safety page won't be looked at half as much as it would hope to be. Whatever happens in the wiki, I think his suggestion for a new main topic for safety is the best idea. It will grab more attention that way from the people that need it most.
Also, I never quite understood the difference between developer and Reprapper forums, so the combining of those I'm also all for.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 01, 2014 06:07PM
Traumflug
thejollygrimreaper

Indeed but I think Ohio was talking about discussing safety not necessarily documenting safety.
July 02, 2014 06:28AM
MrDoctorDIV
Wiki seems a bit difficult to navigate

A forum isn't navigatable at all. If you find the wiki difficult, change it! Unlike here in the forum you can do this there.

MrDoctorDIV
Also, I never quite understood the difference between developer and Reprapper forums

One is for users, the other one for developers. Being a maker community, the line of distinction is blurred, of course.

MrDoctorDIV
Indeed but I think Ohio was talking about discussing safety not necessarily documenting safety.

Re-reading the first post I see this now as well. Thanks. Still no idea how changing the assortment of subforums would increase "safety". Just a buzzword? The "danger" of posting is always the same.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 02, 2014 08:27AM
Traumflug
I would like it if my name was on quotes for things I actually said, rather than, say, what somebody else said

Also, it's not safety of posting [did you even read what we're talking about?] but of fire hazards, etc. Discussing safety in 3D printing, what the hazards are and how to prevent them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 08:28AM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 02, 2014 09:19AM
MrDoctorDIV
Traumflug
I would like it if my name was on quotes for things I actually said, rather than, say, what somebody else said

Also, it's not safety of posting [did you even read what we're talking about?] but of fire hazards, etc. Discussing safety in 3D printing, what the hazards are and how to prevent them.

it's the kind of information that should be factual and documented in a wiki page where they can be located by search engines , a sub-forum isn't a bad idea as long as the responses to questions are factual
as there is potential for serious injury/death just from one piece of bad advice, if we do open a subforum then maybe we should put in a disclaimer as well

the wiki page also has a discussion section, which can also be edited by anyway and can be used as a "wishlist of stuff to be added" for those who are familiar enough with wiki page formatting or don't know how to word it themselves

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login