Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating printer subforum

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Updating printer subforum
July 08, 2014 10:26AM
Hi guys, I notice there are a few subforums that are barely used, and some that are extensively used!

I'm wondering, if there is anyone interested in adding a 'CoreXY' subforum?

On one side, it's a technique that can be applied to not just one printer model, but I think it might be worth it. There are more people now talking about it in general, I'm building my own at the moment and I know at least four people here already built one smiling smiley

How do you guys judge about a matter like this?

Yours truly winking smiley
- Marinus

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
VDX
Re: Updating printer subforum
July 08, 2014 11:01AM
... of course, there could be much more optimizing/restructuring for the forum ... but then you too have to move tons of threads and posts around, what's a really time-eating job ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 09, 2014 03:26AM
I wouldn't mind keeping a new CoreXY printer variant subforum organised.

But I'd have to know what the do's an don'ts are, I could search for all CoreXY-related posts and collect them all in this new CoreXY subforum smiling smiley

Will also make a sticky with pictures of printers already made by members of the forum and some links/quotes to the mechanical and practical philosophies behind the CoreXY system.

Is this appreciated?
- Marinus

VDX
July 09, 2014 04:31AM
... for this you'll need moderator privileges in all related forums or activation as admin, to get access to all forums automatically -- let's see, if the other admins will drop in ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

July 09, 2014 05:30AM
Volunteers are always welcome, so, yes, give him these privileges.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 09, 2014 05:51AM
Traumflug
Volunteers are always welcome, so, yes, give him these privileges.

+ 1 smiling smiley

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

July 10, 2014 04:23AM
Alright, anyone I can exchange some ideas with in PM?

Is there a special admin forum where all the rules are made clear that apply to admins? I would not like to screw up smiling smiley

July 10, 2014 05:06AM
Ohmarinus
Is there a special admin forum where all the rules are made clear that apply to admins?

This part of the forum. PM'ing isn't ideal, as such messages always reach only one person.

VDX
July 10, 2014 09:01AM
Hi Marinus,

... there is an admin-mailinglist, but not very active most of the time ... urgent issues, not meant for the public view, are PM-ed between the admins by occasion eye rolling smiley

I'll activate your admin status - so you can test the possibilities - and will send you some related infos in the next days (I'm actually on a business trip).

Viktor
--------

July 10, 2014 11:07AM
I'm all in for a CoreXY subforum, I've actually been wanting one for a while.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 11, 2014 07:21PM
MrDoctorDIV
I'm all in for a CoreXY subforum, I've actually been wanting one for a while.

Thanks guys for your reacions smiling smiley

And Doctor, I'll be sure to collect info and some relevant posts before I create a new subforum for it.
The advantages I see everywhere are just too good to let this CoreXY thing pass unnoticed (something tells me, it will never pass unnoticed, not even if we try to let is just pass winking smiley ).

I see you know a thing or two about it too. I'm currently building one, did you already do that? We can have some talk about what you would like to see in the CoreXY subforum before it sees the light of day.

July 12, 2014 02:49PM
Hah, I have a very limited knowledge of things around here. I've come to a halt with the loss of income and things like staying alive taking priority. I've got my own thoughts about it and bones to pick with people who think H-bot is better, but nothing of real value yet.
I have a thing for truly, fully understanding things that are put in front of me. I won't know CoreXY to the level I like until I get it built and tuned.
I also think it should be a CoreXY/Z. Since CoreXZ has been implemented more than once.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 12, 2014 04:20PM
@MrDoctorDIV: CoreXZ and CoreXY do share a similar drive but it would be my belief that the majority of the posts in a CoreXY would only be marginally more relevant to the CoreXZ than they would be to a Mendel. It would make much more sense to group it with Wallace, Mendels, Huxleys, etc. I am not advocating an explosion of subforums. I really don't know what the solution is. However, I think the current trend of giving any print that want a subforum is not sustainable. I would recommend more general categories.

Non-Cartesian
*SCARA (Wally, Morgan, SAPE, etc)
*Delta (Simpson and Rostock style)
*Polar

Cartesian
*XZeffector Ybed
*XYeffector Zbed
*XYZeffector

Anyways, that sounds like a lot of work and I don't want to volunteer. Everything is quite functional now so please ignore me.

BTW, I have implemented the CoreXZ twice but I am unaware of anyone else doing so. I have seen a rendering of someone that thought about it but never built it. Did I miss something. I only ask because I tell people that it was the first one built. (At least it was the first one built with the neat 3:1 reduction in the Z.)

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
July 12, 2014 07:19PM
My apologies. I did not know that other one was you [shows you how much I pay attention, not like your name was on each page it was listed]. You're the first in my book.

Makes sense. Just a CoreXY general, as there are too many variations to justify individualizing one or few.

July 12, 2014 10:04PM
CoreXY is just a current fashion, after all. Main goal of most designers is to make things differently, no matter wether it makes engineering sense or not. Currently they do so by using extremely long belts.

July 13, 2014 07:28PM
Hi mates smiling smiley
From italian side I can say that there is also some interest by the old users on the CoreXY system, so I agree.

(Where is the admins mailing-list?) Multiple PM messages can be done, I used succefully with three users, add them as buddies and check them on the list, then send message. Am I right?

---- "Let me make my move" ----
July 14, 2014 06:18AM
The mailing list is here: [reprap.org]

A closed list, but about everybody playing a role in reprap.org maintenance gets access. We mostly discuss server-level technical issues there. Discussions about new subforums etc. should be public.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login