Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiki-embedded discussion

Posted by Traumflug 
Wiki-embedded discussion
July 11, 2014 04:50PM
For some time now I can't get rid of the idea to embed discussions into wiki pages. There are these Discussion pages next to each wiki page, but let's face it, they're boring, not obviously available and more difficult to edit than neccessary.

However, if we could manage to attract discussions right on the wiki page, editing wiki pages, and as such collecting knowledge instead of putting it onto a haystack over and over again, would me more straightforward and with some luck, users would start to discuss there, on topic, instead of transporting everything here. Thingiverse has embedded discussion, too, after all, and appears to be successful with this.

So I tried an experiment. What do you think of this embedded discussion? [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

A2
Re: Wiki-embedded discussion
July 11, 2014 06:33PM
Awesome thumbs up

Then some one with wiki skills could extract pertinent notes, and embed them into the main wiki page.
I just posted a "Test" comment, and I didn't need to log in, nice! Please delete it.

I reviewed the "Recent Changes" link [reprap.org], and I didn't find my post. How will we know there is a new comment posted?
July 11, 2014 09:26PM
Your "Test" post is here: [forums.reprap.org]

That's an iframe, which is basically a window in a web page showing another page. You have to be logged in here to post there. It's the real thing, this forum here. More exactly, on thread here. Accordingly you can search for posts here.

One apparent thing lacking: Phorum doesn't allow to link the last post all the time. This "last post" link you see links to a numbered message which is only the last post until the next one comes in. Maybe I find the enthusiasm to hack such a feature in.

A2
July 11, 2014 11:12PM
OK, I understand now, tks.

So one forum post would be a sticky, and paired to a wiki page.
July 12, 2014 06:44AM
A2
So one forum post would be a sticky, and paired to a wiki page.

Not neccessarily a sticky, but yes, they get paired.

July 12, 2014 07:26AM
brilliant!,
we could probably bring it into a few pages like the i3 ones and the supplier lists

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

July 12, 2014 07:52PM
The standard "Discussions" page in the wiki aren't really for stuff like the forums. They're for discussions about the content of the page, and getting it fixed. ie: They're aimed at editors, etc.

IMO for us, having that tab named "Discussions" is therefore misleading.

Perhaps they should be changed to "Page notes" or something that would be more meaningful?

Or simply disabled altogether?

That said...

You could do what you did but EMBED the forum into the Discussion page, rather than the main page. This way you'd just click the tab and hey, you'd have the relevant discussion up (rather than being in the main page taking up what I'd consider valuable space to get information across).

Note: These are all just ideas and suggestions. tongue sticking out smiley
July 12, 2014 09:57PM
thejollygrimreaper
we could probably bring it into a few pages like the i3 ones and the supplier lists

Well, go ahead and do it. On how it's done, hit "edit" on the example page given above.

Cefiar
The standard "Discussions" page in the wiki aren't really for stuff like the forums. They're for discussions about the content of the page, and getting it fixed. ie: They're aimed at editors, etc.

The unfortunate truth is, while everybody is expected to be an editor, everybody points his fingers to another everybody, so nothing gets done. Everybody documents in an attempt to collect fame and glory, but they totally oversee that their work, when written to the forum, gets lost the other day.

Cefiar
Or simply disabled altogether?

Not that I'm about to do this, but closing this forum instead of wiki discussion pages might be a better step.

Cefiar
You could do what you did but EMBED the forum into the Discussion page, rather than the main page. This way you'd just click the tab and hey, you'd have the relevant discussion up (rather than being in the main page taking up what I'd consider valuable space to get information across).

Like here? [reprap.org]

Cefiar
Note: These are all just ideas and suggestions.

Show me your code!

A2
July 13, 2014 03:30AM
This is such a good step in the right direction, I'm very excited to see this implemented, and evolve thumbs up

Is it possible to attach additional Reprap forum threads to the wiki, and what about attaching external forum or webpage/blogs to the wiki?
July 13, 2014 04:57AM
A2
This is such a good step in the right direction, I'm very excited to see this implemented, and evolve thumbs up

Is it possible to attach additional Reprap forum threads to the wiki, and what about attaching external forum or webpage/blogs to the wiki?

yes it is possible the code is pretty simple, i do forsee some people may abuse this feature for advertising and spamming

{{#widget:Iframe
|url=insert url here
|width=100%
|height=2000px
|border=0
}}

just did a quick and dirty test on my hotends page [reprap.org]

when i get back home on tuesday i might sit down for a few hours and put a few of these in the discussion sections of a few of the pages that needed it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 04:58AM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

July 13, 2014 08:44AM
thejollygrimreaper
just did a quick and dirty test on my hotends page [reprap.org]

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up. Now people can put their shop right into the wiki, which is very counterproductive towards strengthening the RepRap community. Gonna have to fix this.

July 13, 2014 01:40PM
Traumflug
Gonna have to fix this.

Done.

I hope I didn't step on your toes, @thejollygrimreaper. Embedding a non-reprap.org page was certainly a valid idea.

July 13, 2014 05:53PM
Traumflug
Traumflug
Gonna have to fix this.

Done.

I hope I didn't step on your toes, @thejollygrimreaper. Embedding a non-reprap.org page was certainly a valid idea.

ah sweet, no toes stepped on, it's better not to have the that kind of security risk

with the discussion pages and the forum posts that get embedded in them i'm thinking maybe we should have them in a dedicated section of the forum just so they are easily locate-able, what do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 05:53PM by thejollygrimreaper.

July 14, 2014 06:27AM
thejollygrimreaper
with the discussion pages and the forum posts that get embedded in them i'm thinking maybe we should have them in a dedicated section of the forum just so they are easily locate-able, what do you think?

Marking discussions as being embedded in a wiki page is IMHO a good idea. If people refer to contents on the wiki page it might be not obvious for forum-only readers. Still I'd keep them in existing sections.

July 14, 2014 12:50PM
Embed discussions into a Wiki page is really a good feature, great job guys, I also agree on keeping topics in existing sections/groups. thumbs up
In the italian section we use the square brackets to tag topics' title like [Solved] or [Show], I think a post-editing the title with the tag [WIKI] or similar could be a good solution. What do you think?

Just for info - [Show] is related to a topic where the user/writer shows his best prints (in that way we don't need to create a new section) -

---- "Let me make my move" ----
July 15, 2014 07:09AM
Gordie
In the italian section we use the square brackets to tag topics' title like [Solved] or [Show], I think a post-editing the title with the tag [WIKI] or similar could be a good solution. What do you think?

Go ahead and tell us how it works smiling smiley

July 15, 2014 09:33AM
Ok I've just explained it on our group, will tell you how is the "responce". I've done a page, about Endstop, embedding the installation guide I did some times ago. It is nice to be able to set the height. [reprap.org]
Cheers smiling smiley

September 05, 2014 08:28AM
Hello, I'm having troubles on this Wiki page, I don't know why the frame doesn't display the web page.

This is the Wiki page: [reprap.org]

This is the code I'm using:
== Mappa degli utenti italiani del forum RepRap ==
Questa mappa è stata pensata per far conoscere tra di loro i vari utenti italiani del [http://forums.reprap.org/index.php?349 forum RepRap]. 
Per essere inseriti basta farne richiesta in [http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?44,402739 questa discussione] {{#widget:Iframe |url=http://www.gordtherogue.it/RepMap.html |width=100% |height=800px |border=0 }}

And this is (as you see above) the web page I'm adding: [www.gordtherogue.it]

What could it be? Can you see the map on the Wiki's page? Me not.

EDIT: To give more info, it's like there are problem on DNS because the web page into the frame is the one used by my ISP (WIND - Infostrada) telling "The web site your looking for is unreachable or the site has been erased"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2014 08:34AM by Gordie.

September 05, 2014 04:26PM
Gordie
Hello, I'm having troubles on this Wiki page, I don't know why the frame doesn't display the web page.

This is the Wiki page: [reprap.org]

This is the code I'm using:
== Mappa degli utenti italiani del forum RepRap ==
Questa mappa è stata pensata per far conoscere tra di loro i vari utenti italiani del [http://forums.reprap.org/index.php?349 forum RepRap]. 
Per essere inseriti basta farne richiesta in [http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?44,402739 questa discussione] {{#widget:Iframe |url=http://www.gordtherogue.it/RepMap.html |width=100% |height=800px |border=0 }}

And this is (as you see above) the web page I'm adding: [www.gordtherogue.it]

What could it be? Can you see the map on the Wiki's page? Me not.

EDIT: To give more info, it's like there are problem on DNS because the web page into the frame is the one used by my ISP (WIND - Infostrada) telling "The web site your looking for is unreachable or the site has been erased"

the webpage embedding only works with reprap.org pages, this was done for security reasons

September 05, 2014 06:34PM
Oh ok thanks for the reply. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login