Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is forum user cdru an Asshole? thumbs up

Posted by mung 
Is forum user cdru an Asshole? thumbs up
October 18, 2014 07:17AM
I am not really a regular forum user but come here from time to time when I get bored for a hobby project or have something that I feel may be relevant or useful to the reprap community.

I recently was stupid enough to start an indiegogo crowdfunding project and made a post on the forum here, I got a lot of negative response which I feel understandable in most circumstances as I knew the possibility of getting funding was doomed from the start, and no one likes to have people beg them for money. That said I also got some rather personal attacks for no apparent reason from cdru ( [forums.reprap.org] ), I cannot see why cdru seems so angry toward me when I have been honest about my indiegogo project, I then wondered if maybe I was being too sensitive, but cdru did eventually admit to being an asshole, [forums.reprap.org]

I am still unsure if cdru is a sociopath, I do not ever want to cast aspersions without good reason, I always have reasonable proof for everything I say and if unsure about something always tell people, so I thought I would ask the forum for some help.

Am I being too sensitive?
Is cdru a sociopath and an asshole?
Is it worth trying to fund projects on indiegogo that one feels maybe of benefit to the maker community?
Re: Is forum user cdru an Asshole? thumbs up
October 18, 2014 08:06AM
please refer to http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,261102 rules and guidelines, on posting , the is a family friendly forum, if you have a problem with a user report the posts or bring it up in the administration section

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

October 18, 2014 12:47PM
thejollygrimreaper
please refer to http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,261102 rules and guidelines, on posting , the is a family friendly forum, if you have a problem with a user report the posts or bring it up in the administration section

Dear jollygrimreaper,

I have no problem with any users on this site and do not see why you of all people would think that.

I have checked the guidelines and cannot see why you would bring them to my attention, maybe I missed something but I cannot see how the post breaches any of the rules and guidelines.

If I am wrong in my understanding of the site rules and guidelines please give me some further guidance as to what your problem is with my posts?

'the is a family friendly forum' but I am not sure what is unfriendly towards familys about my post?
October 18, 2014 06:28PM
mung
thejollygrimreaper

Dear jollygrimreaper,

I have no problem with any users on this site and do not see why you of all people would think that.

I have checked the guidelines and cannot see why you would bring them to my attention, maybe I missed something but I cannot see how the post breaches any of the rules and guidelines.

If I am wrong in my understanding of the site rules and guidelines please give me some further guidance as to what your problem is with my posts?

'the is a family friendly forum' but I am not sure what is unfriendly towards familys about my post?

for starters the usage of the word "asshole" and especially in the general thread:

Language and Trolling
Our community is family-friendly. There are young users and vulgar language is not allowed. This constitutes the use of any kind of offensive, discriminatory, or otherwise inappropriate material deemed unsafe for younger members. Inappropriate language will potentially be removed and users will be warned.
October 19, 2014 08:21AM

for starters the usage of the word "asshole" and especially in the general thread:

Language and Trolling
Our community is family-friendly. There are young users and vulgar language is not allowed. This constitutes the use of any kind of offensive, discriminatory, or otherwise inappropriate material deemed unsafe for younger members. Inappropriate language will potentially be removed and users will be warned.

You really think 'asshole' is vulgar and unsuitable word for children to hear?

I think this could be rather subjective and open to interpretation, and actually you are censoring and being unreasonable in your treatement of this matter.
I would think readers of your site would be at least 11 years of age, as working unsupervised with the materials used in 3dprinting is unsuitable for anyone below that age. As far as I am aware use of the word 'asshole' is considered acceptable in published media and films rated 'R'.

I did not insult anyone or directly call cdru an 'asshole', and cdru actually said himself that he was an asshole, I only asked a question on the forum as I felt maybe I was being sensitive and cdru was being harsh with himself.

I feel that reasoned conversation should not be censored and arguments should be allowed stand on their own merits rather than administrators victimising some peoples free speech based on their own personal taboos and lack of understanding of memes. If you start preventing reasoned dialogue due to your own cultural taboos and fnords you are preventing understanding and progress due to small mindedness and refusal to ask questions and truely understand.

Choice of words is important, but we are all bounded by our own lexicon and finding the right words in context always has occasional errors, dialogue is the only way to get understanding. If you as a censor jollygrimreaper prevent dialogue you are doing a disservice to everyone.

Maybe 'asshole' was not the best word to use, but almost all higher descriptive words are metaphors and compounds derived from roots in other languages, I could ask my question another way and would it be reasonable to you?

If I asked if someone was being an nasty idiot would that be vulgar?

I know you just said 'for starters' and I assume you have further reasoned ammunition to justify your actions, so could you let me know ALL your other reasons now as it could save me a lot of time in the future.

Also if you could include a list of all banned words in the rules and guidelines it would help many of your users avoid falling into the trap of making poor usage of words (I am sure your forum software could also be setup to prevent usage of certain words and warn users before posting!).
October 19, 2014 10:01AM
mung

Language and Trolling

I think this could be rather subjective and open to interpretation, and actually you are censoring and being unreasonable in your treatement of this matter.
I would think readers of your site would be at least 11 years of age, as working unsupervised with the materials used in 3dprinting is unsuitable for anyone below that age. As far as I am aware use of the word 'asshole' is considered acceptable in published media and films rated 'R'.

I did not insult anyone or directly call cdru an 'asshole', and cdru actually said himself that he was an asshole, I only asked a question on the forum as I felt maybe I was being sensitive and cdru was being harsh with himself.

I feel that reasoned conversation should not be censored and arguments should be allowed stand on their own merits rather than administrators victimising some peoples free speech based on their own personal taboos and lack of understanding of memes. If you start preventing reasoned dialogue due to your own cultural taboos and fnords you are preventing understanding and progress due to small mindedness and refusal to ask questions and truely understand.

Choice of words is important, but we are all bounded by our own lexicon and finding the right words in context always has occasional errors, dialogue is the only way to get understanding. If you as a censor jollygrimreaper prevent dialogue you are doing a disservice to everyone.

Maybe 'asshole' was not the best word to use, but almost all higher descriptive words are metaphors and compounds derived from roots in other languages, I could ask my question another way and would it be reasonable to you?

If I asked if someone was being an nasty idiot would that be vulgar?

I know you just said 'for starters' and I assume you have further reasoned ammunition to justify your actions, so could you let me know ALL your other reasons now as it could save me a lot of time in the future.

Also if you could include a list of all banned words in the rules and guidelines it would help many of your users avoid falling into the trap of making poor usage of words (I am sure your forum software could also be setup to prevent usage of certain words and warn users before posting!).

I'm not going to get into a long drawn out debate on the intricate wording of the rules and guidelines of this forum with you, it was deemed appropriate to move your thread(s) the crowdfunding one and the more recent one "Is forum user cdru an Asshole?" to the proper places, the crowd funding one was moved to the crowd funding section and the "Is forum user cdru an Asshole?" one to the administration section.

to a degree the "Is forum user cdru an Asshole?" and "Is forum user cdru a nasty idiot or a troll or just a misunderstood nice guy?" thread(s) are a form of personal attack and in hindsight probably should have just been deleted, as stated before if you have a problem with a user report the posts or bring it up in the administration section , the general section is not the proper place for that kind of thing.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

October 20, 2014 08:15AM
mung

I'm considering this as inappropriate, too. This is RepRap, not Street Gang.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 04, 2014 09:43PM
Mung is right. We are highly evolved primates capable of self determination, circling the Sun at 30 klicks a second. Do we really need babysitters? NO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 09:43PM by DisruptiveTech.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login