Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Request for a forum feature

Posted by Replace 
Request for a forum feature
November 02, 2014 12:47AM
Hi All admins,

I am a contributer to a number of topic related forums.
While doing so, I would like to see activity on the forum by having a subforum that shows the activity as in 'active threads'.
Some other forums I work with do have that option.

In fact is is a 'Last Post on top" thread that includes (links to) referenced posts from all subfora.

Any chance to build this ?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Request for a forum feature
November 11, 2014 02:32PM
I second Replaces request.

I read many forums by clicking on a "new posts" link.

Roy
November 13, 2014 06:31AM
New features require somebody to implement them. Please post the required patches.

That said, active threads are always moved to the top, to the one with the most recent post is right the first one.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 13, 2014 10:05AM
Wish I knew how to create and post a patch. Since I don't I will continue to view the forum as I have.

Roy
November 16, 2014 12:00AM
I find the main Index page useless as while it shows that forums are unread, it includes all the ones I don't want to read but may have visited in the past.

Can we get the Ignore Foums module for Phorum installed, so that users can then stop getting the "new" notifications on the forums they don't want to look at??

[www.phorum.org]

BTW: This is about the 4th time I've asked for this, and a few others have said it'd be useful, and there's a module that implements it. What's the issue?
November 16, 2014 12:08AM
Also, there is a "Recent Messages" module, which might do what the OP is asking for:

[www.phorum.org]
November 28, 2014 12:36PM
I do'n know what the 'recent messages' module is.

it sounds good, but where to find it ?

Thomas

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
November 28, 2014 05:11PM
Follow the link I posted: [www.phorum.org]

(as in, those silly underlined things surrounded by []'s in my previous messages. They're links! tongue sticking out smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 05:12PM by Cefiar.
December 16, 2014 03:19AM
So, any news on the Ignore Forum module or Recent Messages module that I linked for Phorum being implemented on the forum?

I've provided known working code for both features for the Phorum software in use.

Or should I chalk this up as case of putting off people with an excuse, and then going silent to ignore the issue when the goods are produced?

PS: I get that people are busy. If people are busy that's fine and dandy. But all too often I see things vanish from the radar and unless someone pokes they never get used or done. Sometimes this is just due to there being so much to do, but sometimes people just actively drop things, which is just plain annoying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2014 03:25AM by Cefiar.
December 17, 2014 07:32AM
I still don't get it.

Do you suggest that someone devellops this based on your work ?
When I follow your link, I see discussions on the feature. I don't see the feature implemented ...

Thomas
(Not a forum developper)

December 17, 2014 10:00AM
The modules are right before your eyes... at the top of each discussion I see link to zipped files / modules.
December 18, 2014 06:49PM
As olisoft so very kindly pointed out, there are zip files at the top of each thread. Those zip files contain the latest version of the add-on(s) for Phorum that implement the features.

Replace: The work is done. It just needs the Reprap forum admins to implement. My comment so far has been that NONE of them seem willing to implement these add-ons for the Reprap Phorum installation.
December 18, 2014 10:32PM
Hi Cefiar,

I am willing to try to implement these features, but I have never done it before. I have access to the server, but the last time I logged in to make a few innocent changes, I ended up bringing down the entire wiki for a short period of time. For this reason I am somewhat hesitant to go mucking about on the server without proper supervision.

Please understand that many of the active admins are in a similar situation as my own: we are perfectly willing to implement new features, but lack the necessary skills. To be honest, as an "admin" my primary duties are simply deleting spam and trying to keep the peace.

Would you be willing to donate some of your time to implement this? I cannot speak for all the admins, but you can probably get server access if you just ask for it.

Alternatively, could you post instructions in this thread explaining how to install these modules that are simple enough that a willing-but-inexperienced admin such as myself could follow them?
December 19, 2014 12:07AM
Hi Matt!

I sort of guessed this might be the case, but given I wasn't hearing anything of the sort back, it's hard to know what was the bottleneck. grinning smiley

I'm happy to donate some time if required, but also equally happy to give details on installing these modules and what needs to be done.

I'll come up with a guide on what needs to be done and get back to you. Might take a few days simply due to my personal schedule.

From memory, the Recent Posts module should just be an unpack and put it in the right directory process, while the Ignore Forums module requires you also to edit the Emerald template (not hard, tho always advisable to keep a backup of the original templates, as well as the changes just in case).

BTW: Happy to move this to email if required. The email associated to this account is my personal email so feel free to ping me that way, or in a PM.
March 05, 2015 01:58PM
Hi,

I would like to know if there is any chance to access to this forum with tapatalk?

Thanks

SKAL
March 06, 2015 05:28AM
No. The number of people wanting to use this and also to implement it is zero.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 31, 2015 03:17PM
When looking at the subscribed threads:

[forums.reprap.org]

... many other forums have a "Go to first new post" button, but I don't see it here. There is only a "New" indicator, which does the same as clicking on the thread link: it takes you to the first post of the thread.

Is there a way to go to the first new/unread post?
July 27, 2015 09:19AM
Does anyone not know how to "Go to first new post" ?
July 27, 2015 09:45AM

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 27, 2015 09:53AM
Thanks, but it does not work; it goes to the first post of the first page.
July 27, 2015 11:08AM
What browser are you using?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 27, 2015 01:01PM
Chrome
July 27, 2015 07:05PM
I'm using Chrome, and every single red flag that I click on brings me to the first new post in that thread. I have noticed that it is occasionally off by a post or two when an earlier post contains embedded pictures, but it never brings me to the first post in a thread unless it is a new topic.....
July 29, 2015 12:35AM
Hovering over the Flag, and then hovering over the Thread Title, shows the same link, which is to go to the first post of the first page.
July 29, 2015 12:43AM
Heck, I'd settle for something as simple as a master 'mark all forums read' button that is on every site I have seen *but* RepRap . . .

- Tim
July 29, 2015 03:20AM
RRuser
Hovering over the Flag, and then hovering over the Thread Title, shows the same link, which is to go to the first post of the first page.

There should be a ",gotonewpost" at the end of the link when hovering over the red flag.
This is what does the MAGIC!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 29, 2015 06:48AM
Ah! When I add ",gotonewpost" to it (with a comma and not a dot) then it works!

I tried Firefox too, and same thing.

When I hover over the flag, the flag AND the Thread Title change color at the same time, and the browser thinks it is a picture (right-click will "copy image"), but there is no ,gotonewpost anywhere.
July 29, 2015 07:04AM
Very strange. I use Firefox and Internet Explorer and both work without any problems.
Possibly some strange security option?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 30, 2015 10:43PM
I found a clue. The followed topics page has the problem:
[forums.reprap.org]

But an individual forum such as Slic3r does not:
[forums.reprap.org]

... and it open properly to the first new post.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login