Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiki administration problem

Posted by arthurwolf 
Wiki administration problem
December 10, 2014 10:44AM
Hi !

I have an on-going problem with wiki user Traumflug.

We have in the past had very strong disagreements on some topics ( for example what defines something as Open-Source )
And we are direct competitors ( we both design/sell Reprap electronics ).

Recently, I have been editing the wiki to add information related to Smoothieboard ( both adding information about it, and mentionning it where other solutions are mentionned ).
Traumflug has been reverting most of those edits as he considers them useless or some sort of advertising.

Let's be very clear : I am perfectly OK with discussing those edits, and learning what is OK and what is not OK to do on the wiki.
But I refuse to have that discussion with Traumflug. I consider him to have a very direct conflict of interrest here, and as such, completely unfit to judge and moderate those edits. I also find him pretty agressive/condescending towards me in our exchanges, but that could just be subjective.

I have asked him several times now to stop moderating my edits, and to leave it to any wiki admin.
He won't stop.

Again : I am perfectly fine with discussing any issues related to my wiki edits, with anyone that -does not- have a direct conflict of interrest.
I am just not fine with Traumflug moderating my edits.

Could somebody that has some sort of control over the wiki, please tell Traumflug to leave the moderation of my edits to somebody else ?
I would expect that asking him to leave issues related specifically to me, to another person, is a reasonable demand. But I have asked many times, and he just ignore the issue.

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 10:51AM by arthurwolf.
Re: Wiki administration problem
December 11, 2014 08:32AM
Please try to swallow it: there are no custom privileges for Smoothieboard. It's one controller among 30 or 50 other ones and its handled exactly like all these.

You're entirely welcome to add this video to the Smoothieboard page. If it were a video about the shop it'd belong where you placed it. But it's about the board, so it belongs into the board's page.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 11, 2014 09:04AM
Traumflug
Please try to swallow it: there are no custom privileges for Smoothieboard.

I have never asked for any kind of privileges.
What you are trying to say here is : " I Traumflug treat Arthur's edits about Smoothieboard the same way I would treat any other edits about anything, I do not treat them worse, and I don't think they should be treated better ". Am I correct that is what you mean ?

If it is what you mean, then I disagree that you don't treat them worse.
I think you have a conflict of interrest because we have disagreements and are competitors.

You may not even realize that you are being unfair. The point here is : I say that you are, and as such, I am asking that another person moderates my edits, instead of you.

Again, I have no problem with my edits being moderated. I just want that moderation to be done by anyone but you.

Is that clear ?

Is that a reasonable thing to ask for ?

I have asked many times and you always avoid answering.

Will you please stop moderating my edits and leave that moderation to somebody else ?

Traumflug
It's one controller among 30 or 50 other ones and its handled exactly like all these.

My point is it is not handled the same by you.

I am accusing you of lacking objectivity and of having a conflict of interrest.

As such I am asking you to stop moderating my edit and leave that moderation to somebody else.

I acknoledge that you may not even realize that you are being unfair. But the simple fact that I am asking you to stop moderating should be enough for you to agree to stop doing so, considering the existing conflict of interrest.

Traumflug
You're entirely welcome to add this video to the Smoothieboard page. If it were a video about the shop it'd belong where you placed it. But it's about the board, so it belongs into the board's page.

That's just plain unfair : Your previous excuse for not accepting that video was that all the other reviews were not videos so a video did not fit there, I quote : 

« Do you see any other videos in this table? No? Then please put this video where it belongs, into the Smoothieboard page. »

Now that I have pointed out that a video review is no different from other types of reviews, you move your position to saying that it should be a review of the shop, not a review of a specific product.

That is moving the goalpost, it is unfair, and to me, indicative of a difference of treatment from you.

Out of the 3 reviews left in the list after you removed my link, only one out of 3 is an actual review of a shop, two are reviews of products.

You went ahead and removed one of those, but that still really leaves you with only one review that is -only- of the shop.

Doesn't a review of a product from a specific shop actually give useful information to the user about that shop's standard of quality ?

I see no reason why you would remove those reviews, as the aim of that column in the list is to help users figure out if they trust the shop or not, and the information in reviews of products that are specific to that shop actually provides information that is useful for that task.

Let me try to explain to you otherwise : A review that mentions a shop's customer service, delivery speed, and product quality, is more informative than a review that only mentions product quality. But that review is still useful as a review, and as such has it's place in that list.

But I want to say this again : I DO NOT want to debate those issues with you. I am perfectly open to discuss those with any other person, but you.

I think that it is unfair that you specifically would have the power to moderate my wiki edits.

As such I ask you to stop doing so and leave it to somebody else.

Is this a reasonable thing to ask ?
December 11, 2014 11:17AM
Hi arthurwolf,

Both myself and thejollygrimreaper are active on the forum and also active wiki editors. If you have a problem with wiki edits you can discuss them with us - in this forum, via PM, or on the wiki.

In regard to the recent edits that you are unhappy with: myself and thejollygrimreaper are in agreement with Traumflug. The link to the video review you posted is fine, but it should go on the smoothieboard page.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login