Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiki maintenance?

Posted by dantman 
Wiki maintenance?
January 30, 2015 11:14PM
Who is responsible for maintaining the wiki?

It looks like the wiki is running on an obsolete version of MediaWiki.

I wouldn't mind helping a little and giving some suggestions for settings that might be better changed.
Re: Wiki maintenance?
January 31, 2015 04:25AM
There's no shortage of "suggestions". We all know this. Still it's simply a lot of (unpaid) work. Just yesterday I spent the better part of a day to sort cron jobs and fixing the backups. All this while reception of wiki and forum couldn't be worse, most prominent community members try hard to avoid reprap.org at all costs.

That said, if you feel like upgrading the wiki, just do it! I'll happily give you root access.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 31, 2015 04:48AM
Traumflug
There's no shortage of "suggestions". We all know this. Still it's simply a lot of (unpaid) work. Just yesterday I spent the better part of a day to sort cron jobs and fixing the backups. All this while reception of wiki and forum couldn't be worse, most prominent community members try hard to avoid reprap.org at all costs.
For suggestions I was thinking more like `$wgVectorUseIconWatch = true;` so the watch star shows up and `$wgVectorUseSimpleSearch = true;` to swap out the old Go/Search buttons (though the default for that may have already changed).

I haven't looked at the editing on the wiki enough to see if there are any extensions that would improve editing or organization of the wiki.

Traumflug
That said, if you feel like upgrading the wiki, just do it! I'll happily give you root access.
Sure. Is there any sort of ops list/board so people maintaining the server don't step on each others feet?

Also is there a staging/testing site so that a typo during upgrade/tweaks doesn't leave the wiki with a WSOD for a few minutes?

If anyone is interested, and the server isn't strapped for free memory, I could also consider experimenting with setting up Parsoid/VisualEditor.
January 31, 2015 07:00AM
Looks like you know what you're talking about :-) Very nice!

We have only one server and fixes/changes usually happen on the running system. We could have another one, but, you guessed it, setting this up is more work. Then, breaking the wiki or forum for a minute isn't a problem, preparing a fallback before trying something helps. For larger changes you can set up a second wiki in another directory, of course.

I'll PM you for the details.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 31, 2015 07:45AM
Traumflug
Looks like you know what you're talking about :-) Very nice!
I haven't been active recently, but I'm still one of the MediaWiki developers.

Traumflug
We have only one server and fixes/changes usually happen on the running system. We could have another one, but, you guessed it, setting this up is more work. Then, breaking the wiki or forum for a minute isn't a problem, preparing a fallback before trying something helps. For larger changes you can set up a second wiki in another directory, of course.

For one of my wikis I have a prototype wiki in one directory, I commit everything to git after trying it out there (including core an extension upgrades; though due to high disk usage I share the database between it and the live site), then I git pull it into the live wiki's directory.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login