Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Show new posts since last visit

Posted by Antipodean 
Show new posts since last visit
October 01, 2010 05:50PM
Is it posible to have the option to show only new posts since my last visit.
It is time consuming searching and drilling down to find new posts which may or may not be of interest to me!
Re: Show new posts since last visit
October 01, 2010 07:54PM
Just click the "Mark Forum Read" link on the top (or bottom) of the index pages when you've read what you wanted in the specific sub-forum. Takes a while to go through the whole forum the first time, but it's a good system.
You need to be logged in for it to work.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 02, 2010 07:37AM
You have to log in each time and yes, there's a "automatically log in" (or similar) checkbox.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 04, 2010 02:36AM
I have read the whole of the forum and they are marked as read.
This facility is available on other forums I belong too.
Effectively; it is a group that lists all new posts since my last visit, currently I have to look down all the groups and see which group has a date change listed next to it.
I may be the forum software is not capable of this?
October 04, 2010 04:11AM
Antipodean,

Try using an RSS reader with your browser.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
October 06, 2010 10:25PM
Things that would be nice improvements IMHO compared to the way the forum works now:

1. On the main forum page, you see '5 new' or whatever amount it is for that forum when there are new messages. It would be good if this info was available for sub-forums, such as some of the country sections (eg: Australia), by adding up all the sub-forums under that and displaying them. This way, it's easy to see there is xx unread messages in the Australia forums, and when I click on it, it'll show me (as it does now) how many in each sub-forum.

2. At the individual thread level, turning the 'new' (or is it 'posts'?) into a link. Clicking it would take you to the FIRST unread message on whatever page it is on of that thread. Especially in threads where the posts click along at a fast rate, this drops you right at where you're up to, rather than going through page after page finding that 'last unread post'.

I think these changes would make the forum MUCH more usable, and definitely reduce the time people spend navigating around. They can instead spend it doing something else that is more productive, like building stuff, performing tests, or responding to people having issues.
October 07, 2010 05:07AM
This forum is using Phorum, so please go ahead and find out on how to achieve that.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 07, 2010 05:33AM
I really don't see the problem. It only takes me 5-10 seconds to scroll down the forum index and open tabs for the sub forums with new posts?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 07, 2010 06:31AM
Actuall I use the END key and then scroll up. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
VDX
October 07, 2010 07:12AM
... my methode is scanning through the root forum for 'red' marks, then jump in the sub-forums, where the newest/changed threads are listed on top ... i'm only ignoring the sales-forums grinning smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 11, 2010 03:47AM
Found out after going through the Phroum forum that if you see a flag next to a thread (rather than a cartoon speak box), clicking the flag takes you to the last post you've viewed in that thread.

This does not appear if the forum is the old white theme. Only if it's the green Theme, such as is used here in the Forum Administration section.

So it's there (in some cases), it's just non-obvious.

Can we get the theme uniform across the whole site, so that this works?

Another thing that would be useful is the Ignore Forums module:

[www.phorum.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 04:13AM by Cefiar.
October 11, 2010 04:23AM
YES - One more vote for the "Ignore Forums" module.

Sometimes you do a search in land in a forum that you normally don't want to read.
I would like to be able to then click on "Ignore Forum" so I don't see the NEW messages flag.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
VDX
October 11, 2010 04:32AM
... me too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login