Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Troubleshooting page

Posted by Cefiar 
Troubleshooting page
November 15, 2010 08:04PM
We now have a Trobleshooting page on the wiki. It's in need of a lot of love and work. If you've got time, it'd be great to look it over

If you're a supplier, check the info on there is correct and/or update it.

If you've designed something, consider adding a troubleshooting page or section for your design and linking to it in the Specific Troubleshooting section.

I also updated the Mendel Troubleshooting page with some more info, and created the start of a Skeinforge troubleshooting tips section. These need more work, and we need more troubleshooting pages for things like Huxley, Prusa, and other designs.
Re: Troubleshooting page
November 16, 2010 04:09AM
Good start!

No idea though, why the vendor list is duplicated there.

In the long term, I'd expect the "Specific Troubleshooting" section to grow, while the remainder shrinks.

my $ 0.02

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 16, 2010 08:00AM
No idea though, why the vendor list is duplicated there.

I think Cefiar was attempting to minimize a nuisance: "No, do not ask us about UP! printers, they're not in the wiki (yet)!". But it is sort of an advertisement.

I figure, for the entrepreneur-devs who put their stuff in the wiki; we link to their docs in the wiki. smiling bouncing smiley For those poor souls who don't put their stuff in the wiki ... I'm quite tempted to delete those entries.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
November 16, 2010 11:54AM
yes, if someone is adventurous or foolish enough to build a design with no documentation they shouldn't expect any help. After all, they would essentially be the 'expert' for that design anyway, in due time. We would need their help with the documentation, not the other way round.

I added a troubleshooting category, as a subcategory of reference.
November 16, 2010 05:35PM
That was sort of the point, and by the end of it I was in a hurry and needed to get on with other (non reprap) stuff. I put it out for comment specifically cos I wanted other opinions. I also thought the order was a bit wrong (was mainly a braindump), but wasn't quite sure what would work at the time. I see someone (guessing Sebastien) rearranged everything, which is definitely better.

I personally don't mind that we have those companies there, as long as they're open (as in, free designs, etc etc). I do KNOW that UP! isn't, and it's one I'd really like to see go.

But we should definitely mention that we don't support them, and that they have their own support channels. Don't have to link to them though! Perhaps condense them down to one paragraph saying "If you have a printer or parts from ... ... ... ... and ..., then please contact your supplier for support. The reprap community does not support non open-source designs." ??

The open ones I would personally prefer to leave, especially the smaller ones, as we can start encouraging them to document their stuff on the wiki. No use aliening them before they've even gotten things sorted out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login