Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

About the wiki

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
About the wiki
July 27, 2016 08:45PM
Since I can't touch it anymore would someone explain why this still exists?

This page is flagged as Advertising.

This page is found to exist for the sole purpose of Advertising, This page will eventually be removed.

Reason: no sources, does not comply with lowest common denominator of opensource

Proposed removal date: 19/03/2015

Please use the discussion page for any questions or comments regarding this notice

[reprap.org]

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: About the wiki
July 27, 2016 10:13PM
Personally I think removing it just because it doesn't comply with open source is very silly

I look at it this way.

Are there repraps out their with this controller? yes
Does the page provide some information for them? yes

I find the statement "This page is found to exist for the sole purpose of Advertising" to be a incorrect statement.

So leave it marked as not open source, but leave it alone as it does contain some information that is useful for those who had the misfortune to get this controller

NB before someone clams different, I have nothing to do with MKS BASE and do not own any of these boards.
July 27, 2016 10:26PM
Dust
Personally I think removing it just because it doesn't comply with open source is very silly

I look at it this way.

Does the page provide some information for them? yes

I find the statement "This page is found to exist for the sole purpose of Advertising" to be a incorrect statement.

So leave it marked as not open source, but leave it alone as it does contain some information that is useful for those who had the misfortune to get this controller

NB before someone clams different, I have nothing to do with MKS BASE and do not own any of these boards.
See I disagree but only because that wiki is the reprap.org wiki which reprap is about open source. MKS has been, and forever will be, the opposite of open source so Reprap shouldn't give them a single line. Let their customers hurt, or find the info from the seller or some other way, and maybe they will get disgusted. Either way we shouldn't allow non open source information to be on a purely open source Wiki. I am not the one who labeled that page but apparently, like so much of the Wiki, it was forgotten about since we are very long past the ending date.

What I would suggest is to have a page only saying it is not an open source product and shouldn't be on this Wiki. If you own this product and need any information then contact your seller or MKS themselves.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
July 28, 2016 11:35AM
Dark Alchemist
See I disagree but only because that wiki is the reprap.org wiki which reprap is about open source. MKS has been, and forever will be, the opposite of open source so Reprap shouldn't give them a single line.

Removing these entries won't solve the problem. I'm not even sure if there is a problem.
People will always buy closed-source components.
Also they will ask for support here. In this case, it's a good idea to have the Wiki page.

Sometimes there are closed-source components which are superior or have at least some advantages to open-source components.
People invest real money, they want to get the best value, so it's difficult to convince them to use open-source alternatives.
This could be solved by providing superior open-source hardware components, not by removing Wiki pages and pretending those components do not exist.

Also we don't have these wiki template for other components like Hotends or Extruders.
I don't think the E3D V6 is open-source, but free alternatives do exist.

Dust

That's maybe a 3D printer, but I wouldn't call it a RepRap.
How can it be an open-source 3D printer with one of the core components beeing closed source?

Dust

I also wouldn't remove these entries. It's a good opportunity to brand these boards as not open-source.
It already saved me from buying one of those boards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 11:35AM by microfortnight.

Best regards / Viele Grüße
Till
July 28, 2016 12:23PM
microfortnight
Dust

I also wouldn't remove these entries. It's a good opportunity to brand these boards as not open-source.
That is why I said to mention it BUT label it as closed source and any information needs to be had from the seller or the manufacturer.

_______
July 29, 2016 06:56AM
Dark Alchemist
microfortnight
Dust

That is why I said to mention it BUT label it as closed source and any information needs to be had from the seller or the manufacturer.

I think nobody removed these pages until now because it doesn't make much sense, only few people care and it is some editing work involved.

Here's a different view on this topic:

RepRap is also about Open-Source Software, there are a lot of firmware implementations around.
This board is well supported by open-source firmware implementations.
So I still think it's not a good idea to remove any valuable information from the Wiki.

In this specific case there are two pages for this board.
MKS_BASE_1.0, no flags at all
MKS_BASE not open source, advertising

There were some edits after one page has been flagged as advertising.
Both pages contains some configuration hints for Marlin, some advice on VCP drivers, a lot of useful information I guess.
So I don't think there actually is advertising on these pages.

The page has been flagged as advertising for an invalid reason:

This page is found to exist for the sole purpose of Advertising, This page will eventually be removed.
Reason: no sources, does not comply with lowest common denominator of opensource

In my opinion, it would be better to merge these pages and improve the Wiki:
1) Remove the reasons for the advertising flag (cannot see any)
2) Remove the advertising flag
3) Keep the not open-source flag
4) Repeat for other boards/shields, at least for the popular ones like RADDS, etc.

Maybe you should collect some more opinions before deleting these pages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 06:57AM by microfortnight.

Best regards / Viele Grüße
Till
July 29, 2016 01:28PM
I think every last one of you have lost the spirit of open source and will just do whatever in the fook. Shaking my head at the ones who would give a single damn line on the wiki to MKS as they are a shit company with a shit product and are NOT open source at all. Let them make their own wiki pages or go hang out on a wiki page that is all about closed source because this Wiki was never meant to have closed source products on it except to possibly acknowledge them but give no farther information about them than to say they exist and are closed source.

_______
VDX
July 29, 2016 05:23PM
... many OS supporters/developers leraned the "hard way", that publishing a DIY design open is an invitation for cloners to produce low quality copies and sell them for profit ... so actually it seems, the "OS spirit" is fading away on his own eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 29, 2016 05:31PM
VDX
... many OS supporters/developers leraned the "hard way", that publishing a DIY design open is an invitation for cloners to produce low quality copies and sell them for profit ... so actually it seems, the "OS spirit" is fading away on his own eye rolling smiley
Well, it is with the Chinese who do not believe in OS only stealing or w/e they wish to call it.

The thing is when you get a company like MKS who publicly stated on this very forum that they will not release all of their stuff in compliance with the license they took from because they are afraid others will do to them what they have done to others themselves then I have to ask why we even give them the time of day?

It isn't just them but they are a nasty pimple on the ass of Open Source and it is infected now.

_______
VDX
July 29, 2016 05:53PM
... so what confused smiley

"OS or not OS -- this is the question ..."

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

July 29, 2016 06:13PM
VDX
... so what confused smiley

"OS or not OS -- this is the question ..."
So what?

You know I think RepRap is actually dead along with the OS movement. Just too many cheap Chinese printers out there which is far from a RepRap but I believe the whole self replication thing was just some pipe dream Bowyer thought up after hitting his pipe. RepRap is dead and no one cares as is the OS movement.

_______
VDX
July 29, 2016 07:28PM
... maybe your "RepRap-idea" is a different one, than Adrians winking smiley

He thought to give any interested in 3D-printing the chance to DIY or get a cheap kit through a sort of "viral breed" - and this is not so far from the actual situation.

Even the "comercial" cheap 3D-printers are part of this "ecology" ...

Viktor
--------

July 30, 2016 04:34AM
VDX
... maybe your "RepRap-idea" is a different one, than Adrians winking smiley

He thought to give any interested in 3D-printing the chance to DIY or get a cheap kit through a sort of "viral breed" - and this is not so far from the actual situation.

Even the "comercial" cheap 3D-printers are part of this "ecology" ...
Nope, his idea was for the printers to be self replicating or so he said on many many videos back when all of this came to be. You should go check them out sometime.

_______
July 30, 2016 05:59AM
Reprap has lost its way with all this 3d printer stuff... I'm hoping this is just a momentary hick up.

But any thermoplastic parts of the next generation reprap and we are well an truly sorted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login