Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's up with the RepRap Part Lister?

Posted by Traumflug 
What's up with the RepRap Part Lister?
February 11, 2011 04:17PM
Many of you might not be aware of it, but there's a RepRap Parts Lister. All the Gen2 and Gen3 Electronics Wiki pages still refer to there.

Unfortunately, the thing is broken. You get black error messages on brown background and always "no results".

The question is, is this web page a good idea? Or died it because nobody cared?

IIRC, there used to be a list of all parts required for some non-reprapable construction and a list of links to suppliers. A very good idea IMHO, and it could help a bit to better standardize on really common bits like bolts, resistors or electrical connectors.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: What's up with the RepRap Part Lister?
February 12, 2011 12:28PM
I think just having one place that lists all the parts is best, like the current parts and materials spreadsheet. it will be easier to keep up to date if there is only one thing that needs to be maintained.

and electronics are a whole different matter. there are lots of options out there now, and more every day. I think the links to the parts lister should be removed.
February 13, 2011 08:40AM

like the current parts and materials spreadsheet

Where would I find that spreadsheet?

and electronics are a whole different matter. there are lots of options out there now, and more every day.

Yes, unfortunately. To test electronics I'd really like to have the same connectors on all boards, but for example the manufacturer of this 4 mm spaced motor connector is about the best kept secret in the RepRap community. So, if this database is removed (or left in a non-working state), at least the contents of each link should be copied to the Wiki page. I volunteer for doing that, sufficient DB and PHP experience is available.

February 13, 2011 10:56AM
Traumflug
Where would I find that spreadsheet?

From the Mendel assembly data sheet.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 13, 2011 12:51PM
Thanks, this page is news to me.

+++++: It contains all the single parts for the electronics, including a link into Mouser. After all, I found that header :-)

--: It's also full of links into parts.reprap.org. See column A on the electronics sheet.

Sometimes it's baffling how much work got into documenting Mendel and it's electronics.

February 13, 2011 02:54PM
yes same here, i must have spend a month reading everything on the wiki before i started, and i still find nuggets of gold that i didn't know where there before.

which is why it's so annoying to go back and edit. Even the spreadsheet needs work, like the thin/thick sheet templates could be included in there.

Another thing that would really help editors would be an outline and flowsheet for how the wiki should be organized. at least then the community would have a blueprint to follow, and new designs like huxley and prusa could have a similar instruction formula.
February 17, 2011 04:17AM
Many of you might not be aware of it, but there's a RepRap Partfs Lister. All the Gen2 and Gen3 Electronics Wiki pages still refer to there.

Unfortunately, the thing is broken. You get black error messages on brown background and always "no results".

The question is, is this web page a good idea? Or died it because nobody cared?

Our best guess is that Zach turned off a server / software somewhere. sad smiley

We should probably strip out the references to parts.reprap.org from the wiki.

Another thing that would really help editors would be an outline and flowsheet for how the wiki should be organized. at least then the community would have a blueprint to follow, and new designs like huxley and prusa could have a similar instruction formula.

Hmmm ... what should that look like, Buback? grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
February 17, 2011 01:49PM

Our best guess is that Zach turned off a server / software somewhere.

OK. I recognize the relationship between Zach/MakerBot and RepRap isn't as great as it was in earlier days, so we can forget about getting a backup or even a fix. Without that there isn't much to reconstruct, so we can just remove the links as we come across them.

@Buback: Yes please smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login